Depth at DT is now a concern | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Depth at DT is now a concern

it is a woryy.

there is still the possibility of manny wright.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I don't think he will be the Chester of old, but will play. I'm sure Saban has a plan, and remember Traylor will fill the role great when we shift to a 3-4, while in the 4-3 or other fronts, we are stocked with versitale DE's that can shift in and out.

Has Chester participated in any of the off-season workouts? If he can participate in the Mini-Camps this week it will show me he can still do it and be ready for training camp. Cross our fingers.

It was definitely a concern before this announcement, I think most clear headed people were not counting on much from Timbo based on his recent seasons and the decline of his health.

We've known Timbo was going to retire so it's been a concern. Yesterday didn't change anything.

Smacks said:
Its was a concern before Bowens retired. Hence, the off season additions.

Exactly, I think we all kinda knew deep down that TimBo wasn't going to be much of a contributor this season... We will have to see what happens with Manuel and other movement around the league. But it's been a concern before now!

Going to the 3-4 is looking like a good idea now. If Chester doesnt get back, that would probably be our best bet. Put Traylor at NT, have Carter at LDE, and have Holliday or Zgonina or whoever else compete for RDE. Zgonina is a small DT, so he would fit the end position in the 3-4. The only problem would be JT wanting to go to OLB. Then we could have ZT and Junior play in the middle and have a huge competition for that other OLB spot. Spragan could be used for stuffing the run, Moore could be used for Coverage, and Roth and DBowens can be used for rushing the passer. And if Chester gets back to normal, we could have him rotate in at Nose and not abuse him so much. Traylor is old, so he can only stand so much abuse as well.

MarinoNotElway said:
Going to the 3-4 is looking like a good idea now. If Chester doesnt get back, that would probably be our best bet. Put Traylor at NT, have Carter at LDE, and have Holliday or Zgonina or whoever else compete for RDE. Zgonina is a small DT, so he would fit the end position in the 3-4. The only problem would be JT wanting to go to OLB. Then we could have ZT and Junior play in the middle and have a huge competition for that other OLB spot. Spragan could be used for stuffing the run, Moore could be used for Coverage, and Roth and DBowens can be used for rushing the passer. And if Chester gets back to normal, we could have him rotate in at Nose and not abuse him so much. Traylor is old, so he can only stand so much abuse as well.

We're not going to the 3-4.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but....

Manny Wright didn't even start on a regular basis for the Trojans. Yes he had two 1st round guys in front of him, but if you expect him to come in and be a savior on that line you may be very disappointed. Can he contribute, sure. But he will have a long learning curve, just as Vickerman would, if not longer. No one has talked about Orin Thompson of Duke. This guy is a big man. He will be given an opportunity to play this training camp.

Lee2000

Lee2000 said:
Manny Wright didn't even start on a regular basis for the Trojans. Yes he had two 1st round guys in front of him, but if you expect him to come in and be a savior on that line you may be very disappointed. Can he contribute, sure. But he will have a long learning curve, just as Vickerman would, if not longer. No one has talked about Orin Thompson of Duke. This guy is a big man. He will be given an opportunity to play this training camp.

Lee2000

I'm not going to pretend to know how good Wright is, my feeling is that Saban is not a "mortgage the future" kind of guy, the way Wannstedt/Spielman were.

The only way I see us drafting him for a 3rd or 4th is if Saban has a very strong conviction , if he's questionable at all I doubt he'll pull the trigger.

He is what he is

Manny Wright was a backup, and any team after him (Green Bay, Miami) must know that he is a project. I like to think of him as a guy coming from high school attending spring practice at college, yet still red shirting his first year. That’s what I believe anyone would be getting in Manny. The kid can play, Philly who drafted a DT is even looking at him, but this is more like a training session for the guy, so that he can take over next year. I envision him being in the rotation, getting accumulated and then thriving towards the end of this season or next. He may cost though, and the options next year in the draft, are even more interesting then he is. Keep your fingers crossed there is a name out there C. Hunt, DT, Green Bay.

I agree with those who stated that DT was already a big concern before TimBo's retirement. I think we made a great pickup with Keith Traylor but that won't solve our DT situation, only help for now. Another big question is if Larry Chester will be 100%, if so he'll most likely be starting this year with Traylor and Carter at DE. Also, we'll most likely be answering our DT situation long term with a rookie whether it's Manuel Wright or someone in the draft next year, I definitely see us drafting a DT and most likely a LT. And even possibliy a QB, I would think. As for Free Agents, the only guys available worth looking at was Keith Traylor (we signed him) and Cletidus Hunt, but I'm not sure if bringing him would be such a good idea considering he was holding out for Green Bay and that's why they released him.

josephreese said:
I aimagine the strategy is for the long term. This year we plug the middle as best we can, knowing that whatever we do this year is only temporary.

We could draft a long-term DT next year. (Or perhaps use a 2006 draft pick in this year's supplemental draft?)

Maybe Saban will want a proven DT, and will try to fill that position through free agency. Does anyone know of quality DTs that will be free agents after this year?

I agree with you, I think Saban will find a relatively cheap replacement this year and upgrade this position next year in the draft. Saban wants to get younger especially on defense and DT is the first place I would start.

Vickerson has a chance to make the team. Will he play? maybe. Sban shoulg get a young DT next year or maybe Wright.

Back
Top Bottom