Depth at DT is now a concern | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Depth at DT is now a concern

PASQUALE

Seasoned Veteran
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
With TimBo's retirement we now have a void on the d-line. We have Keith Traylor #94 LDT, Jeff Zgonina #92 RDT, Dario Romero #97 LDT, and Larry Chester #64 RDT (who I feel will not be ready with his back problems as well). My question is this do we use Kevin Carter #93 as a permanent DT or do we go with Traylor and Zgonina? I would rather have Traylor and Carter in the middle. What do guys think?

This does not bode well for our team. I think they should do some investigating and get us a solid DT before we get into training camp to put into our rotation. I do not want see us get run on up the middle for a ton of yards like last year. What do they do now?

It was a concern before this, thats why Traylor was brought in. They are still looking, but will wait until someone worth it comes available.

I aimagine the strategy is for the long term. This year we plug the middle as best we can, knowing that whatever we do this year is only temporary.

We could draft a long-term DT next year. (Or perhaps use a 2006 draft pick in this year's supplemental draft?)

Maybe Saban will want a proven DT, and will try to fill that position through free agency. Does anyone know of quality DTs that will be free agents after this year?

I thought Chester had a knee injury?

Good DT's don't usually make it to FA. If they do, they command big $. I really don't see that happening. Saban will get someone through the draft. MAybe that dude in the Supplemental, but I don't see him building Long Term through FA.

It all depends on Chester's health. If he is recovered by the end of TC then we will be ok. If not, we are going to need some DT's! I would feel fine with a healthy Chester, Carter, Traylor, Romero (who is improving and I feel will be a vital part of the rotation this year), Zgonina (who was forced to start last season but would do a great job in a lesser role).

NJFINSFAN1 said:
It was a concern before this, thats why Traylor was brought in. They are still looking, but will wait until someone worth it comes available.

Do you think Chester will be ready? If we lose him to PUP we need to keep Vickerson the Rookie and get someone else. Thanks for your response.

After doing a little bit of research on Vickerson, I am convinced he can make this squad. Due to the injuries to both Bowens and Chester, he had a good shot anyway, but I think he will play and contribute. This guy was to be a stud in college but never really put it together until his senior season. It seems like he is finally coming around, just in time for us to gain from it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a youth movement on the line. Vickerson, Romero, Manuel from USC, etc. Saban wantes to get younger and this may be his best opportunity to do it this year.

dominizzo said:
Kevin Vickerson will do the job

I see PS in Kevin's future. He is quite raw and unless Saban wants to keep him to develop him even though he will most likely be inactive for most of the season, I don't see him seeing the field this season.

PASQUALE said:
Do you think Chester will be ready? If we lose him to PUP we need to keep Vickerson the Rookie and get someone else. Thanks for your response.

I don't think he will be the Chester of old, but will play. I'm sure Saban has a plan, and remember Traylor will fill the role great when we shift to a 3-4, while in the 4-3 or other fronts, we are stocked with versitale DE's that can shift in and out.

dominizzo said:
Kevin Vickerson will do the job

He'll definitely get a shot...he was fired up after the draft, disappointed in being selected so low. Hopefully he is a diamond in the rough.

phinfan2003 said:
I see PS in Kevin's future. He is quite raw and unless Saban wants to keep him to develop him even though he will most likely be inactive for most of the season, I don't see him seeing the field this season.

Well just have to wait n see

DreamWeaver said:
He'll definitely get a shot...he was fired up after the draft, disappointed in being selected so low. Hopefully he is a diamond in the rough.

id love that a low pick turning into a pro Saban will be a genius

Back
Top Bottom