Depth At Wide Receiver Could Mean Tough Decisions When Rosters Cut Down | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Depth At Wide Receiver Could Mean Tough Decisions When Rosters Cut Down

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
AR-190739680.jpg

If there is one position on the Dolphins roster that is not hurting when it comes to depth, it’s wide receiver. That’s a good problem to have, according to wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell.

Miami is carrying 11 receivers less than one week into training camp, with three of them — Kenny Stills, Jakeem Grant and DeVante Parker — considered locks to make the team. Albert Wilson, who is coming back from a season-ending hip injury, should be safe as long as he can prove that he’s back to full health. Veteran Allen Hurns, who was signed as a free agent last week, is hoping to prove he belongs but is being pushed by Brice Butler, undrafted free agent Preston Williams and Isaiah Ford, among others.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sport...ld-mean-tough-decisions-when-rosters-cut-down

I am hoping Williams makes the team. Burns is decent pickup but in reality a lot of bodies at wr is not truly depth esp Brice Butler

What depth? Are we including guys that likely when end up getting hurt this season? Grant, Albert and Parker? That's not depth!

I am hoping Williams makes the team. Burns is decent pickup but in reality a lot of bodies at wr is not truly depth esp Brice Butler

Brice Butler and Burns are vets. Williams is young and has more raw talent than the two mentioned. If I'm a coach i'm taking the chance on the rookie and hoping I can mold that talent into something productive.

Honestly, If Williams shows anything during TC and especially in the live games then he's a no brainer keeper.

Brice Butler and Burns are vets. Williams is young and has more raw talent than the two mentioned. If I'm a coach i'm taking the chance on the rookie and hoping I can mold that talent into something productive.

Honestly, If Williams shows anything during TC and especially in the live games then he's a no brainer keeper.

And being a gunner ups his chances.

True, Butler if you add all six seasons together still comes up short of a pro bowl season and Hurns has one good season and a bunch of mediocrity.
In fact none of our receivers should be sure things to make the roster. williams needs to be on the team in some capacity.
we do not need 5 veteran guys on roster at wr, somebody has to be a project in some way

Would someone pilfer Williams if he was stashed on the PS?

It is hard to say. I would say yes there's a strong possibility because of the amount of raw talent this guy has. Outside of DeVante Parker he probably has the best overall skill set of any receiver we have he is just raw in so many freaking areas. If we are going to keep 6 receivers on this roster which I assume is pretty likely he should be a no-brainer unless he's really looking bad in practice. To me keeping him over Brice Butler should be an easy decision

...as others have noted -- installing Williams @Gunner certainly helps him win a roster spot.
From ALL reports -- the kid has done nothing since arriving in SFL except impress and
stay focused -- doing extra work etc. to land his spot. The WR coach talks him up
and notes his "special talents" etc. Dude has a very good shot as things stand now.

One day at a time. If he stays focused and keeps improving I fully expect him to stick.

Actually pumped to see the kid perform in preseason and hopefully impress!

BNF

It is hard to say. I would say yes there's a strong possibility because of the amount of raw talent this guy has. Outside of DeVante Parker he probably has the best overall skill set of any receiver we have he is just raw in so many freaking areas. If we are going to keep 6 receivers on this roster which I assume is pretty likely he should be a no-brainer unless he's really looking bad in practice. To me keeping him over Brice Butler should be an easy decision
I'm not so sure he is as "raw" as you are suggesting.

He was assuredly not NFL ready coming in, but how many WRs are?

I'm not so sure he is as "raw" as you are suggesting.

He was assuredly not NFL ready coming in, but how many WRs are?

His overall skill set is very raw in terms of route running, blocking and going up for the catch but you are correct meaning receivers come into the NFL with these type of questions. he also has a like a domestic violence incident in his past that probably hurt him in the draft also. He has excellent size and very good long speed but his initial burst leave something to be desired

Parker, stills, grant (returner), wilson, hurns, williams (gunner)

Carry 6 wrs with ST bridge ability and insurance for wilson’s injury.

Back
Top Bottom