Derrick Johnson: A Favorite for #2? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrick Johnson: A Favorite for #2?

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I know many people will say this is a reach, but hear me out. Personally, as of this moment I think Aaron Rodgers is the top player in this draft. I would take him if available to Miami at #2. But, since I don't think he will, who is next?

Ronnie Brown? Well, I am a big Ronnie Brown fan, but is there a playmaker who is more rare?
Braylon Edwards? Edwards is a good player, but he is not a rare playmaker. Players like him are available every year. Most of the time more than one.

That answer....Derrick Johnson. He is a big time playmaker and happens to be the rarest player in this draft. Let me illustrate this. Since 1990, these outside backers have been taken in the top 5: (Six in 15 Years)
Junior Seau
Mike Croel
Willie McGinest
Kevin Hardy
Peter Boulware
LaVar Arrington
Outside of Mike Croel and maybe Kevin Hardy, we are talking about some pretty good football players, and, Johnson has equal if not better playmaking ability.

Obviously, this pick gets very little publicity but it may be the smartest. Just picture what Saban could do with a Derrick Johnson. Its been at least five years (Arrington) since an outside backer of his caliber and potential has entered the draft, and it may be at least that many until one is available again.

They are tough players to find and hard players to stop. Don't rule him out on April 23rd.

Ghetti13 said:
I know many people will say this is a reach, but hear me out. Personally, as of this moment I think Aaron Rodgers is the top player in this draft. I would take him if available to Miami at #2. But, since I don't think he will, who is next?

Ronnie Brown? Well, I am a big Ronnie Brown fan, but is there a playmaker who is more rare?
Braylon Edwards? Edwards is a good player, but he is not a rare playmaker. Players like him are available every year. Most of the time more than one.

That answer....Derrick Johnson. He is a big time playmaker and happens to be the rarest player in this draft. Let me illustrate this. Since 1990, these outside backers have been taken in the top 5: (Six in 15 Years)
Junior Seau
Mike Croel
Willie McGinest
Kevin Hardy
Peter Boulware
LaVar Arrington
Outside of Mike Croel and maybe Kevin Hardy, we are talking about some pretty good football players, and, Johnson has equal if not better playmaking ability.

Obviously, this pick gets very little publicity but it may be the smartest. Just picture what Saban could do with a Derrick Johnson. Its been at least five years (Arrington) since an outside backer of his caliber and potential has entered the draft, and it may be at least that many until one is available again.

They are tough players to find and hard players to stop. Don't rule him out on April 23rd.

Liked your comments on Aaron Rodgers. But, i don't think it could get worse than this.

Several scouts don't even think D Johnson belongs in top 15 of the 1st round. He will not take on O-linemen, and has never shown that ability. This is a big factor for OLB's in today's game. And, with Saban wanting to be able to move to a 3-4 at different points in the game - as it dictates - this would be a major mistake, imo.

I would not draft Johnson until at least the #10 position. Even then, I'd rather have Merriman or Williamson in those slots. That's jmo, but it's also the opinion of several scouts (not internet draft sites).

Just so I know, which scouts said this and from what team?

The only thing that worries me about Johnson is his percieved lack of intints for the position. He is an exceptional athlete and has done very well in college, but you'd have to admit, given his athletic ability, he has been playing against lesser talent and his athleticism has overshadowed his deficiencies. An example of this is the scouts perception that he sometimes runs around blocks instead of thru them. You ever see Seau run around a block ?? Arrington ?? MCGinest ?? Again, he'll probably be a very good and probably great LB in the pros but I think a little risky for #2 overall, considering our needs elsewhere. He just doesn't fit into the top 5 or 6 talent IMHO....

I agree that he runs around some blocks, but so did Arrington. Texas allowed him to do so because it best used his talents. Are you saying he could not be taught these things?

Beleive me, I have heard all of the stories about him running around blocks, I think it was a "Dallas" scout. But, his upside is un natural and I have a hard time finding someone as rare, with equal production and higher upside.

Ghetti13 said:
Just so I know, which scouts said this and from what team?

Here's a link - I've read this somewhere else, but can't recall off hand.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11359071.htm

Just another note. For me, it's not just that he "ran around blocks" - which he often did. It's that when he did have to take on linemen, he was manhandled (in games I watched - probably 3-4). I think his speed over-rates him. He chased down a lot of guys - impressing the likes of NFL expert Brent Musburger, but that is a sure sign of a guy being over-hyped. ;)

i thikn hes worth a number 2... people sleeping on him and trying to put merrimen over him ONLY because he could be that hybrid guy with DE/OLB, but as a linebacker, your not gonna find a DJ anywhere... hes a better prospect than vilma and the other DJ last year from miami and they both did well... i wouldn't be mad if we got him at all...

Back
Top Bottom