Derrick Johnson at No.2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrick Johnson at No.2

MLBrandow

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to know why absolutely no one is projecting the Dolphins to select DJ at No.2.

Here is your LB situation:

MLB Zach Thomas is on the verge of beginning to decline, going into his 10th year.
WSLB Junior Seau is likely to be released, and is going into his 16th year.
SSLB Donnie Spragan is a marginal starter at best, and would be better suited as a backup.

And that's if you stay 4-3, which I believe the Dolphins will until they have the personnel to make a switch to the 3-4.

Derrick Johnson would step in immediately as the WSLB and is the prototype "Sam" position player that would fit in this scheme.

You can Ronnie Brown me all day, but he isn't going to be drafted by the Dolphins, and if you disagree, you can pull up this thread on draft day and quote me as the sole person in the universe that believes Miami will not draft him at No.2. Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, and Travis Henry would be given away for a 2nd rounder (which the Dolphins do not have, but the value is the point).

I can also see them going for Michigan's Braylon Edwards at 2, because of Linehan's proclivity for the passing game (another reason why the Dolphins won't draft RB at No.2).

Just trying to get some meaningful debate on DJ at No.2, as I have read very little on a pick that seems like an under-the-radar lock to me.

If you're going to post "you're stupid because they are picking Ronnie Brown and you're dumb", don't bother to reply. I'm looking for posters willing to contribute something in the way of discussion.

Thanks for reading, look forward to reading some good replies :).

Johnson could play as a WLB in a 4-3 or as an ILB in a 3-4. We'll know more when things start to leak out the week of the draft.

I've been thinking this for weeks. I think to hell with everyone who says DJ isn't worth of the #2 pick. Many draft reports are likening him as a cross between Keith Bulluck of the Titans and Lavar Arrington of the skins. I'd be plenty fine with that kind of production.

Great speed, good pass rusher and blitzer, excellent in coverage.

We can pick up a back in the second or third round. I think there is a chance we could even trade down a few spots, and pick up DJ. I know the Bears and the Bucs are going offense, the Titans will go CB before LB, and the Vikes will definately not draft a LB after picking up Cowart and Harris. We could likely drop to #8(Arizona's spot, pick up a second and/or a third) and still get DJ.

I'm with you big time...

Underrate

I think you underrate Tony Bua, Eddie Moore, and Derrick Pope.

arge said:
I've been thinking this for weeks. I think to hell with everyone who says DJ isn't worth of the #2 pick. Many draft reports are likening him as a cross between Keith Bulluck of the Titans and Lavar Arrington of the skins. I'd be plenty fine with that kind of production.

Great speed, good pass rusher and blitzer, excellent in coverage.

We can pick up a back in the second or third round. I think there is a chance we could even trade down a few spots, and pick up DJ. I know the Bears and the Bucs are going offense, the Titans will go CB before LB, and the Vikes will definately not draft a LB after picking up Cowart and Harris. We could likely drop to #8(Arizona's spot, pick up a second and/or a third) and still get DJ.

I'm with you big time...

There's a big difference of picking him at 8 than at 2.

I could see them going with Derrick Johnson if they traded down. I personally think they will either draft Braylon Edwards if they draft at #2, or trade down and go for Derrick Johnson, or Alex Barron. I don't want to draft a HB at the #2 spot, i am still hoping Ricky comes back. Alot of people disagree with me here, but he is better than benson and brown will ever be. I just want the dolphins to win games. He put better numbers in the pros than benson/williams/brown did in college. I agree with you that D.Johnson is a definite possiblity however, i doubt the dolphins will draft him at #2. I could see them trading down to the 4-7 range and drafting him.

MLBrandow said:
I'd like to know why absolutely no one is projecting the Dolphins to select DJ at No.2.

Here is your LB situation:

MLB Zach Thomas is on the verge of beginning to decline, going into his 10th year.
WSLB Junior Seau is likely to be released, and is going into his 16th year.
SSLB Donnie Spragan is a marginal starter at best, and would be better suited as a backup.

And that's if you stay 4-3, which I believe the Dolphins will until they have the personnel to make a switch to the 3-4.

Derrick Johnson would step in immediately as the WSLB and is the prototype "Sam" position player that would fit in this scheme.

You can Ronnie Brown me all day, but he isn't going to be drafted by the Dolphins, and if you disagree, you can pull up this thread on draft day and quote me as the sole person in the universe that believes Miami will not draft him at No.2. Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, and Travis Henry would be given away for a 2nd rounder (which the Dolphins do not have, but the value is the point).

I can also see them going for Michigan's Braylon Edwards at 2, because of Linehan's proclivity for the passing game (another reason why the Dolphins won't draft RB at No.2).

Just trying to get some meaningful debate on DJ at No.2, as I have read very little on a pick that seems like an under-the-radar lock to me.

If you're going to post "you're stupid because they are picking Ronnie Brown and you're dumb", don't bother to reply. I'm looking for posters willing to contribute something in the way of discussion.

Thanks for reading, look forward to reading some good replies :).

It was announced today that San Fran is in negotiations with A rodger, A Smith and B edwards. Now that you know who the top 3 are (as some of us have been saying for the last month.) The dophins will draft one of the remaining two if we are stuck at #2. Hello, it is not rocket science! Saban will draft BPA. :yell:

Rivers177 said:
I think you underrate Tony Bua, Eddie Moore, and Derrick Pope.
Exactly^^^^. Pope and Moore will both be starters in this league within a couple of years. Your point of Linehan and the passing game being a reason we wont draft a RB don't hold water either, anyone who knows football knows you have to have a running game to open the passing game up and vice versa! I will say I love DJ, just not at #2. I also love Ronnie Brown and I think he would make a far bigger impact immediately on this team than DJ . So unless we trade down and get multiple picks I say go for the quicker fix, which is Brown.:tongue:

For some reason I was under the impression he was sliding a little. Maybe to 10 - 15 range. I even think I saw a mock with Merriman ahead of him. Actually, if Saban were to go LB I think Merriman (LB/DE) would be more to his liking because of the versatility. Neither of them warrant the No. 2 overall. Brown, Edwards, Rodgers, or Smith has to be the pick.

Merriman might have risen higher because of the fact teams are looking at him as a RE. REs are worth more than OLBs.

beejay05 said:
For some reason I was under the impression he was sliding a little. Maybe to 10 - 15 range. I even think I saw a mock with Merriman ahead of him. Actually, if Saban were to go LB I think Merriman (LB/DE) would be more to his liking because of the versatility. Neither of them warrant the No. 2 overall. Brown, Edwards, Rodgers, or Smith has to be the pick.

You are right to be under that impression.

He is sliding and will drop out of the top 10 in my opinion.

As the scouts watch more film they are punching the same holes in his game (no instincts, won't take on blocks, runs around) that KB had told us about a month and a half ago.

Johnson is'nt even thought of as the best linebacker inn this draft by quite a few experts...let alone the #2 player in the draft.

D.J. at #2? I'll pass t.y.v.m.

It's Ronnie Brown or trade down.

I actually like what u r thinking. I also would love to get DJ, i think he will be the next lb with an impact like Ray lewis. If so, i am sure many teams would have drafted ray lewis at #2 if they had it and knew what type of player he would be. I think Derrick johnson will be amazing but...i would rather get a Ladannian Tomlinson (ronnie brown) then a possible bust (ciatrick fason). I think that an rb is our biggest need and although we need lb's...we need an rb more.

Back
Top Bottom