Derrick Johnson at No.2 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derrick Johnson at No.2

I would also like to say that no qb in this draft is also worth a #2 pick. I say its either R.Brown or B edwards at this point. No one else would we of that value. Just imagine if it were in last years draft, how low the two qbs this year would be projected to go. Quite honestly i would rather take mcpherson at #2 then smith or rodgers.

Ark139954 said:
I actually like what u r thinking. I also would love to get DJ, i think he will be the next lb with an impact like Ray lewis. If so, i am sure many teams would have drafted ray lewis at #2 if they had it and knew what type of player he would be. I think Derrick johnson will be amazing but...i would rather get a Ladannian Tomlinson (ronnie brown) then a possible bust (ciatrick fason). I think that an rb is our biggest need and although we need lb's...we need an rb more.

Ronnie Brown compares more to Duece McCallister then L.T. in my opinion.

unifiedtheory said:

Finally someone else who sees this. LT is shifty. Ronnie runs with decent cuts, and alot of power+speed like Deuce.

unifiedtheory said:

Either way aint to bad in my book:cooldude:

Jimi said:
Either way aint to bad in my book:cooldude:
Thats the truth. If we cant move the pick, I have a feeling we are gonna find out what Brown can do for us. I Couldnt resist.

Originally i wanted Brown or trade down. Now i dont care Smith, Brown, Edwards id be happy with anything because i trust saban knows what hes doing.

Derrick Johnson isn't worth the 2nd pick in the draft IMO, I don't believe there is a defensive player in the draft worthy of a top 5 pick. I trust Saban's judgement but if a defensive player is called instead of a RB or QB i'll be dissapointed.

He isnt worth the #2 pick is why. If we trade down and the top 3 RBs are gone I wouldnt mind getting him but not at #2

MLBrandow said:
I'd like to know why absolutely no one is projecting the Dolphins to select DJ at No.2.
Derrick Johnson would step in immediately as the WSLB and is the prototype "Sam" position player that would fit in this scheme.

:barf: What I think of drafting DJ at No. 2

He's Over ... Rated ...

We need playmakers on offense. And, DJ, imo, has not shown he can or is willing to take on a lineman. He tries to run around them. But, if he's going to be a LB in Saban's scheme, I believe he'll have to be able to take on an O-Lineman.

Rivers177 said:
Only if we trade down
My thoughts exactly. He'd be a good first pick if we trade down.

MLBrandow said:
MLB Zach Thomas is on the verge of beginning to decline, going into his 10th year.
WSLB Junior Seau is likely to be released, and is going into his 16th year.
I've heard people saying that about Zack for quite a while and he still is very productive. One of the top LB's in the league. I don't think Seau will be released. Didn't he just restructure? D. Johnson would be a good first pick if we trade down like I said before. At #2, I think Saban will go for BPA, which would not be Johnson at that point.

Linebackers not having value at top 5 is a joke. Allow me to show you ;).

It seems like you guys are holding way too much stock in top 5 or top 10 values. The value they hold is like getting beads at a mardis gras parade. It's only good for one day, then it doesn't matter. Here's the top 10 players taken for the past few years (plus the top two linebackers), and will give you an idea of what exactly I'm talking about:

1 San Diego Eli Manning QB Mississippi
2 Oakland Robert Gallery T Iowa
3 Arizona Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
4 N.Y. Giants Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State
5 Washington Sean Taylor FS Miami
6 Cleveland Kellen Winslow TE Miami
7 Detroit Roy Williams WR Texas
8 Atlanta DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech
9 Jacksonville Reggie Williams WR Washington
10 Houston Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina
-- 12 N.Y. Jets Jonathan Vilma MLB Miami
-- 17 D.J. Williams OLB Miami

1 Cincinnati Carson Palmer QB Southern California
2 Detroit Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
3 Houston Andre Johnson WR Miami
4 N.Y. Jets Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky
5 Dallas Terence Newman CB Kansas State
6 New Orleans Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia
7 Jacksonville Byron Leftwich QB Marshall
8 Carolina Jordan Gross T Utah
9 Minnesota Kevin Williams DT Oklahoma State
10 Baltimore Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State
-- 29 Green Bay Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State

1 Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2 Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3 Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4 Buffalo Mike Williams T Texas
5 San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6 Kansas City Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7 Minnesota Bryant McKinnie T Miami
8 Dallas Roy Williams FS Oklahoma
9 Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10 Cincinnati Levi Jones T Arizona State
-- 23 Oakland Napoleon Harris ILB Northwestern
-- 31 St. Louis Robert Thomas MLB UCLA

1 Atlanta Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech
2 Arizona Leonard Davis T Texas
3 Cleveland Gerard Warren DT Florida
4 Cincinnati Justin Smith DE Missouri
5 San Diego LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian
6 New England Richard Seymour DE Georgia
7 San Francisco Andre Carter DE California
8 Chicago David Terrell WR Michigan
9 Seattle Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State
10 Green Bay Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State
-- 11 Carolina Dan Morgan MLB Miami
-- 39 Pittsburgh Kendrell Bell ILB Georgia

1 Cleveland Courtney Brown DE Penn State
2 Washington LaVar Arrington OLB Penn State
3 Washington Chris Samuels T Alabama
4 Cincinnati Peter Warrick WR Florida State
5 Baltimore Jamal Lewis RB Tennessee
6 Philadelphia Corey Simon DT Florida State
7 Arizona Thomas Jones RB Virginia
8 Pittsburgh Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State
9 Chicago Brian Urlacher MLB New Mexico
10 Baltimore Travis Taylor WR Florida
(this year was crazy for LBs, also includes Julian Peterson, Keith Bullock, Ian Gold in the top 40)

Something else that might convince you that Linebackers are worth their draft value here: the top linebackers in each draft have combined for as many pro bowls than the rest of the aforementioned players combined.

This happens every year, and every year someone like Ray Lewis falls to the middle of the first round, or Derrick Brooks, etc. Guys like this come out year in and year out, and despite having all-american college careers, they slip because "linebackers aren't worth top 5 picks."

Well, you can argue that all day long, but look back after a few years, and you'll be smacking yourself in the face for saying "we passed up on Brian Urlacher to draft Thomas Jones!"

Nearly all of these top players are studs right now, and to say that one is obviously not "worth" a top pick because this player is rated higher is just asenine.

The Jets had this same debate last year, saying that they all wanted Vilma, but he wasn't worth the 12th pick by a long shot, that they should trade down to 17 or 18 and get him. 16 starts, 107 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 INTs, 2 Passes Defensed, a Fumble Recovery and a Defensive Touchdown later, who's still saying that?

MLBrandow said:
I'd like to know why absolutely no one is projecting the Dolphins to select DJ at No.2.

Here is your LB situation:

MLB Zach Thomas is on the verge of beginning to decline, going into his 10th year.
WSLB Junior Seau is likely to be released, and is going into his 16th year.
SSLB Donnie Spragan is a marginal starter at best, and would be better suited as a backup.

And that's if you stay 4-3, which I believe the Dolphins will until they have the personnel to make a switch to the 3-4.

Derrick Johnson would step in immediately as the WSLB and is the prototype "Sam" position player that would fit in this scheme.

You can Ronnie Brown me all day, but he isn't going to be drafted by the Dolphins, and if you disagree, you can pull up this thread on draft day and quote me as the sole person in the universe that believes Miami will not draft him at No.2. Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, and Travis Henry would be given away for a 2nd rounder (which the Dolphins do not have, but the value is the point).

I can also see them going for Michigan's Braylon Edwards at 2, because of Linehan's proclivity for the passing game (another reason why the Dolphins won't draft RB at No.2).

Just trying to get some meaningful debate on DJ at No.2, as I have read very little on a pick that seems like an under-the-radar lock to me.

If you're going to post "you're stupid because they are picking Ronnie Brown and you're dumb", don't bother to reply. I'm looking for posters willing to contribute something in the way of discussion.

Thanks for reading, look forward to reading some good replies :).

Try search, it has been discused a thousand times.
DJ is dropping and not the LB type we want, Merriman fits the Saban type LB better.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Try search, it has been discused a thousand times.
DJ is dropping and not the LB type we want, Merriman fits the Saban type LB better.

I'm glad that you read none of that post before replying.

Back
Top Bottom