Determined Dion Jordan formulates plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Determined Dion Jordan formulates plan

Geforce

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Wednesday Buzz Column
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...tes-plan-heat-hurricanes-marlins-chatter.html

“I need to get stronger, and I’ve got to add to my repertoire,” he said in a private moment recently. “I’m a speed rusher. I have to find a way to get around the edge. This offseason, I need to get much better. And I’ve got to get better with my understanding of the game.”

After producing just two sacks, Jordan has devised a multi-pronged offseason plan to try to become the player the Dolphins expect. That includes:

### Adding a third pass rush move. He already has a speed move and an up-and-under move, according to defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers. But Rodgers said he needs a “long arm move. Jason Taylor had that.”

Jordan agrees. He plans to meet with Taylor and add elements from JT's game. “I want to pick his brain,” Jordan said. “Watching his film is a project for me this offseason. I’ve got to continue to develop moves.”

He also plans to work with Cameron Wake on pass rush mechanics and will study tape of “Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Jared Allen, guys with my body type and speed.”

Thank goodness he is meeting with JT! Cam Wake needs to meet with JT as well...

Very positive news. It's good to see Jordan is proactive about getting better and not just lounging around in the offseason. I think work with JT will really benefit them since their body types are strikingly similar

I am still holding out hope he can become near a JT type for us and this is great to read.

A refreshing article from Barry Jackson.

Jason Taylor was the master of setting up the OT all game, just to blow by him in the 4th quarter when it mattered. Dion Jordan can learn a lot from JT in this regard.

Good to hear specifics of what he is going to work on to better himself.

### He will hit the weight room hard to “put on more muscle mass. But I want to do it while keeping my speed.” Jordan came out of Oregon at 244 pounds, played at 260 this past season and believes 265 “would be legit for me. Getting stronger will help me push the pocket and play the run.”

### He will do sprint work to improve his speed (already a strength) and will spend a few weeks training in martial arts at MMA Athletics, the Los Angeles-based facility run by Fox NFL insider Jay Glazer.

Adding 5 to 10 pounds of muscle can only help. Last year he played little base D because he was a big liability against the run.

JT had the same problem his first couple years but learned to use leverage and quickness to get better in that area,

So he plans to work with Jason Taylor and Cam Wake, while studying Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, and Jared Allen.

That doesnt suck. Only person missing from that list is Lawrence Taylor, and im not certain hes the best teacher...unless Jordan needs help on coke and hooker prices.

I had a chuckle at all the threads popping up during the season bemoaning the Jordan pick because he didnt blow it up as a rookie. Jordan was about as raw a prospect as he could have been coming out. Add his injury on top of that, then everyone should have known it would take him a year to develop. It seems like hes taking it seriously, excellent. Guys with his talent dont grow on trees, if he can develop we could have the next great pass rusher in the league. One of the few things Ireland did right: focus on the long term view of a player even if he wasnt going to be around to reap the rewards.

I still think 265 is too light for a guy of his size. If he was truly 260 lbs I'm not sure how much 5 extra pounds is going to do for him.

I read this earlier today. I may have hated the astronomically idiotic decision to trade up for him but of course Im rooting for the guy. He has the tools. It appears he also has the character. If his work ethic matches both, I will be eating crow this time next year and Id enjoy every spoonful.

While its nice to read that. The fact still remains that he is a project in the works and was taken way too early in draft. While he may never be worth what we gave to get him. Hopefully he can be a starter and the valuable player everyone wants him to be.

So he plans to work with Jason Taylor and Cam Wake, while studying Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, and Jared Allen.

That doesnt suck. Only person missing from that list is Lawrence Taylor, and im not certain hes the best teacher...unless Jordan needs help on coke and hooker prices.

I had a chuckle at all the threads popping up during the season bemoaning the Jordan pick because he didnt blow it up as a rookie. Jordan was about as raw a prospect as he could have been coming out. Add his injury on top of that, then everyone should have known it would take him a year to develop. It seems like hes taking it seriously, excellent. Guys with his talent dont grow on trees, if he can develop we could have the next great pass rusher in the league. One of the few things Ireland did right: focus on the long term view of a player even if he wasnt going to be around to reap the rewards.

No Ireland still screwed the pooch on this one . Because you dont do a trade to move that far up to take a guy plus he cost another pick on top of it. In my eyes it was still to much for a player that is a project. You don't take chances like that in first round especially when you are trying to build a team,.

No Ireland still screwed the pooch on this one . Because you dont do a trade to move that far up to take a guy plus he cost another pick on top of it. In my eyes it was still to much for a player that is a project. You don't take chances like that in first round especially when you are trying to build a team,.

That's the point of the draft.

You build the team with talented players, you never draft need. He was the best player on Ireland's board and traded up to get him.

I do agree to a point about what your saying.

A elite pass rusher will be a need in a few years, if not quicker. Gives Jordan plenty of time to develop.

Back
Top Bottom