Developmental QB Myth | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Developmental QB Myth

way too early to be giving
up on Tua or the coaching staff. Most thought we got a REALLY good coach and REALLY good qb (though I had my doubts.)

So you gotta let them have time. You can’t bbq a brisket for an hour, take it out of the smoker, and declare it’s a bad cut because it tastes like hell...

BBQ brisket and 1st round QBs smell a lot better after given a little heat for a good length of time.

Last edited:
I understand your point, but . . .
How many R1 QBs have failed in the last 20 years? (I'm not after a real number). Some of those looked bad at the end of the rookie year and nearly every living football fan could see it. How many of those were replaced after their rookie year with another rookie?

My point isn't that you're wrong - it's an opinion. My point is teams don't do that. An outlier (Murray/Rosen) proves nothing. It is likely Flo and staff see enough talent to write him (in ink) as the '21 starter.
I understand your view....but keep in mind the rookie wage has only been in place since 2011...before that it was a different story.

I agree it’s not a good thing to have to draft QB’s two straight years...on the other hand, since we have extra draft capital? Would you rather have two young prospects developing, or would you rather be left drafting in the back half of round 1 if you find out he is lacking?

I personally would rather double down, possibly have two starters (which allows you to deal one).

All of this in my opinion is subject to Greer and the scouts having a conviction on a QB at pick#3....

I have no idea what the OP is trying to achieve with this thread. We have a first round QB, why aren't we allowing him to develop ? Why do we need to pick another one rather than use that first rounder to actually try to help his development ?

If he's as bad as folks on here seem to think he is, don't worry we'll be picking back at the top of the order next year.

These asinine threads are getting tiresome.
Not really...a good squad with a mediocre QB can play just well enough to keep you out of the premium QB spots (see Jay Fiedler)

I understand your view....but keep in mind the rookie wage has only been in place since 2011...before that it was a different story.

I agree it’s not a good thing to have to draft QB’s two straight years...on the other hand, since we have extra draft capital? Would you rather have two young prospects developing, or would you rather be left drafting in the back half of round 1 if you find out he is lacking?

I personally would rather double down, possibly have two starters (which allows you to deal one).

All of this in my opinion is subject to Greer and the scouts having a conviction on a QB at pick#3....

we disagree. I'd rather have a QB who has the coaches confidence and a vet to mentor. Someone who's 'seen it all'

You do know other former QBs and players are “pimping” him up as well right not just Dilfer. The main ones who are throwing shade at the kid are former GMs who did squat in the NFL.

Dilfer is irrelevant...except that he is a HUGE Tua pimp. And he was the same kind of QB, except more physically talented.

At least a handful of NFL people say the Dolphins need to at least consider using the third overall pick on a quarterback.

Additions to that group, in recent days, include ESPN analyst and former Dolphins executive Mike Tannenbaum, NFL Network draft analyst/former NFL scout Bucky Brooks and prominent local agents Drew Rosenhaus (on his WSVN-Fox 7 segment on Sunday) and David Canter (on his Twitter account on Sunday).

“They have to compare Tua to Justin Fields and Zach Wilson,” Brooks tweeted of the well-regarded Ohio State and BYU quarterback prospects. “They must be convinced that he’s a better QB prospect than those guys to proceed with him. If not, they should take a QB and let them compete. Cowboys did it in ‘89 and ‘90 with Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh.”

I think we are in a different era with how rookie QB’s are handled...there is less desire or patience to burn 3-4 years on a mistake...if you evaluate the rookie prospects and don’t see a prospect that you fall in love with....then don’t draft one, but the rookie wage scale allows teams to double down.

I personally don’t get why young QB’s shouldn’t compete in this era!

Last edited:
Not really...a good squad with a mediocre QB can play just well enough to keep you out of the premium QB spots (see Jay Fiedler)
Ok that was way far, Tua will be much better than Jay Fiedler. Not saying he Is going to be the next Drew Brees but Fiedler was a very limited QB.

Yes....but what if your QB doesn’t have the coaches confidence? He was benched twice and clearly was operating a different offense than Fitz!
Or, they started the guy who had one game under 66 QB rating all season while Fitz had 3.

Gambler's Ruin and whatnot. They wanted the more consistent guy, not the Fitzmagic/tragic rollercoaster ride.

Ok that was way far, Tua will be much better than Jay Fiedler. Not saying he Is going to be the next Drew Brees but Fiedler was a very limited QB.
My point is if Tua is a soft armed limited QB...he could be just good enough to keep us out of the premium spots!

Back
Top Bottom