Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver

I don't really want to lose Bumphis or Brian Tyms. However they can keep both of those guys hanging around, I'm OK with it.

IMO the only reason there is talk of cutting Devlin,is he is more likely to clear waivers than the 53rd player on our 53 man roster.

I don;t believe it does with a proven comidity like Moore. Devlin vs Corp, absolutely it matters a great deal but Devlin vs Moore:

1. One QB has had success in real games vs number 1 defenses.
2. One QB has had limited success against 2's, 3's and cuts in preseason.

I still go with option 1 regrdless of whats going on in practice/preseason games.

Yeah, but my point is Moore once had to prove it in preseason in order to get the chance to become the player he is today. Don't misunderstand me, Moore should be the #2. But Devlin's overall preseason performance certainly matters as far as his chances to get an opportunity to see the field, here or elsewhere. I said overall, because one isolated game clearly means very little.

Edit: And conversely, if Moore plays poorly in preseason, as he has, he may have a shorter leash in the regular season if he gets to play.

i'm looking real forward to us wasting a spot on mcnutt...saw that 4 for 99 yards and a td on the ticker last night and said ****

If Pat Devlin is indeed eligible for the practice squad I think you cut him.

Don't cry for the man. As a practice squad player he'll get $6,000 per week he's on the practice squad, and he'll likely be on it all 17 weeks of the season, minus whatever time he might spend getting called up to the 53 man roster in the event of injury, at which point his pay will quadruple.

Gotta say I would take Tyms over Bumphis at this point. Bumphis is MUCH more polished...but he is Bess 2.0 except probably not as good. Tyms has the burst and explosion you look for in a developmental player. Id say take the higher ceiling guy...try and PS Bumphis. I would rather keep them both...but I feel like hey really like McNutt

b/t mcnutt and gillislee i don't know which one i think is more of a fail...i can see gillislee making it to the 53 but god darn would i be looking for an upgrade off someone elses cuts...

and they're gonna be out there...unless everyone keeps an awful lot of backs

when scrubs like ted ginn go for 5 catches 149 yards and 2 tds in the final preseason game that's when you know pump the damn brakes on anything you see in the preseason finale...

If you think that's what he wrote you need to read more...

He wrote if Bumphis could return kicks better than Thigpen. That's like saying if Moore could play better than Tannehill. Of course you keep the better player but Bumphis is no where close to Thigpen in kick return ability. I understand his point Bumphis would be possibly a better rounded player but its a mute point.

I think Devlin makes the team, i think the mindset was to see how devlin would do for most of the game and see if it would be worth it to cut Moore.

Seriously? You think there's a chance the Fins would cut Moore? That's ridiculous.

I've heard Devlin referred to as being like Tony Romo; a good player just needing a chance. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that, but Tony Romo does have SOME '3rd-string QB' moments.

Gotta say I would take Tyms over Bumphis at this point. Bumphis is MUCH more polished...but he is Bess 2.0 except probably not as good. Tyms has the burst and explosion you look for in a developmental player. Id say take the higher ceiling guy...try and PS Bumphis. I would rather keep them both...but I feel like hey really like McNutt

Yeah, it would suck to have our #5 receiver be a versatile guy with 80 catch potential (if the Bess comparisons are true). Tyms is a PS candidate if there ever was one, he has physical talent but is way too unpolished and makes too many mental mistakes to be on a 53 man roster.

Don't cry for the man. As a practice squad player he'll get $6,000 per week he's on the practice squad, and he'll likely be on it all 17 weeks of the season, minus whatever time he might spend getting called up to the 53 man roster in the event of injury, at which point his pay will quadruple.

6k minimum. Some PS players get more.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I thought players who were on the active roster all of a season, which I believe he was last year, then they are ineligible.

He wrote if Bumphis could return kicks better than Thigpen. That's like saying if Moore could play better than Tannehill. Of course you keep the better player but Bumphis is no where close to Thigpen in kick return ability. I understand his point Bumphis would be possibly a better rounded player but its a mute point.

This is what i really said----> If bumphis could return kicks better they would probably keep him instead of thigpen to free up a spot..

I did not mean better than Thigpen
i meant if Bumphis could look better than his past performances returning kicks..
Like the one game he just fair caught everything with green field to run on one..
The other game two of the balls were muffed though i blame nolan carrol for one of them..

Back
Top Bottom