Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver

I'm not a big Mcnutt fan, he is too inconsistent. I would prefer Tyms. He has the heart and has made catches when called upon.

If Pat Devlin is indeed eligible for the practice squad I think you cut him.

Don't cry for the man. As a practice squad player he'll get $6,000 per week he's on the practice squad, and he'll likely be on it all 17 weeks of the season, minus whatever time he might spend getting called up to the 53 man roster in the event of injury, at which point his pay will quadruple.

Call me shocked if Miami were to cut Pat Devlin, a QB who has spent 2 full years in the system . . . in a division where 2 of the 4 teams need serious QB help and the 3rd, New England, more than likely has a vacancy available for their #3 QB and would love the chance to pick the brain of Pat Devlin.

You really think he makes it to the Practice Squad? I highly doubt it.

Call me shocked if Miami were to cut Pat Devlin, a QB who has spent 2 full years in the system . . . in a division where 2 of the 4 teams need serious QB help and the 3rd, New England, more than likely has a vacancy available for their #3 QB and would love the chance to pick the brain of Pat Devlin.

You really think he makes it to the Practice Squad? I highly doubt it.

Pats are keeping Tebow. McDaniels and Belechick knew exactly what they were getting when they signed him and are certainly not shocked that he can't read defenses or throw. I don;t think they brought him in for a short 5 week evalaution when they already know what he brings to the table and what he doesn't. They have no confidence in 2011 Finheaven hero Ryan Mallet and will keep Tebow for some roll he may have if Tom Brady goes down.

Matt Moore is arguably the third best quarterback in the AFC East right now. Yeah, I went there.

Actually there is no argument about it.

Matt Moore is the 3rd best QB in the division.

This is what i really said----> If bumphis could return kicks better they would probably keep him instead of thigpen to free up a spot..

I did not mean better than Thigpen
i meant if Bumphis could look better than his past performances returning kicks..
Like the one game he just fair caught everything with green field to run on one..
The other game two of the balls were muffed though i blame nolan carrol for one of them..

Understood and not meaning to sound critical. I know Thigpen has been used in the slot some but he falls in the RB group. Bumphis obviously is in the WR group. We can keep both. Personally I would try to move Gillislee to the PS and keep 3 RB's of Miller, Thomas, and Thigpen. Then keep 6 or 7 WR's including Bumphis.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

By the way I would keep 2 QB's in RT and Moore to open an extra WR spot.

Devlin was up and down in the game. Though Devlin showed some toughness and seemed to handle the adversity really well.
I liked where the ball was going for the most part putting the ball in places where the receiver can get some YAC.
I think Devlin makes the team, i think the mindset was to see how devlin would do for most of the game and see if it would be worth it to cut Moore..
Devlins touchdown throws came on 3rd down.

Mcnutt will be a tough one he pisses me off with easy drop comes back for the biggest catch of the game.

Simms and Devlin have some chemistry and it shows.. Simms looked ready for the challenge..

Rishard mathews looked smooth and made some good moves after the catch..

If bumphis could return kicks better they would probably keep him instead of thigpen to free up a spot..

So which receiver will be cut and which will stay?

Only a fool would cut MOORE. Seems like every time he comes in, he does well. This was true even when MIAMI was still a legit p/o/s team. I'm glad--even ecstatic--that DEVLIN may actually be turning it around, and becoming an NFL QB. He is needed...it's a tough, vicious League and QB "dings" count too: in fact, they can ruin your season, unless....!!

Cut or trade Moore. He is a good backup and nothing more, he will never be a good starter, he can give you 2-3 games at most then turnovers will kill him. Devlin can be a starter in this league, he is not ready yet but I think he needs the prep each week at the #2 spot and the preparation as the #2. Ideally we would wait one more year but he's close enough to only carry 2 QB.... Raiders would be a good destination for Moore due to the mash of QB they have and Sparano is the OL coach who had him in Dallas and Miami. Not to mention the Raiders love to over pay for a back up QB

Pats are keeping Tebow. McDaniels and Belechick knew exactly what they were getting when they signed him and are certainly not shocked that he can't read defenses or throw. I don;t think they brought him in for a short 5 week evalaution when they already know what he brings to the table and what he doesn't. They have no confidence in 2011 Finheaven hero Ryan Mallet and will keep Tebow for some roll he may have if Tom Brady goes down.

I hope so as that will mean Tebow would be taking up someone more deserving spot on the team

What other emergency players on the roster could play qb?

Cut or trade Moore. He is a good backup and nothing more, he will never be a good starter, he can give you 2-3 games at most then turnovers will kill him. Devlin can be a starter in this league, he is not ready yet but I think he needs the prep each week at the #2 spot and the preparation as the #2. Ideally we would wait one more year but he's close enough to only carry 2 QB.... Raiders would be a good destination for Moore due to the mash of QB they have and Sparano is the OL coach who had him in Dallas and Miami. Not to mention the Raiders love to over pay for a back up QB

What makes you think that Devlin can be a starter? His mediocre play against 2nd and 3rd stringers? If Devlin would be anything close to a backup or even a future starter I'd be willing to bet that some teams would be knocking on the door for a little trade.
Do you know as a #2 QB you are one play away from being the starter (against 1st stringers)?
Your team is only as good as your backups.

If Tannehill goes down for a couple games then all we need is a capable QB to get us a couple wins. Moore has done that every time he was called upon. It is tough to find a good starter but even harder to find a good backup.

Moore is also a Pennington type like character. Helpful and supportive of Tannehill. Tannehill likes his mentoring.

What makes you think that Devlin can be a starter?

One word ..... crack.
IMEux0xpng-1.jpg

Answer this question honestly
in this preseason which Qb has played better?

Moore or Devlin?

Considering how much limited experience Devlin has played in the NFL
and the shaky second and 3rd string olinman protecting him i think he has done good enough to keep around.

What makes you think that Devlin can be a starter? His mediocre play against 2nd and 3rd stringers? If Devlin would be anything close to a backup or even a future starter I'd be willing to bet that some teams would be knocking on the door for a little trade.
Do you know as a #2 QB you are one play away from being the starter (against 1st stringers)?
Your team is only as good as your backups.

If Tannehill goes down for a couple games then all we need is a capable QB to get us a couple wins. Moore has done that every time he was called upon. It is tough to find a good starter but even harder to find a good backup.

Moore is also a Pennington type like character. Helpful and supportive of Tannehill. Tannehill likes his mentoring.

Well then cut him have him retire then hire him as a coach.....I don't want a mentor taking up a valuable spot on a young team that has several good prospects

Moore will never be a starting QB, we still don't know that about Devlin, I would keep Devlin to see his development through...the coaching staff loves him and they know something about QB....I see something in this kid from day one, he got that it factor, once the game slows down for him he's got the tools....

If Tanny goes down we are done, to be honest we don't know how good this offense is with Tanny

If Tanny is not the guy within 3 yrs, I don't want to start from scratch looking for a QB, Devlin will be groomed and ready for his shot.......I'm thinking about the future, if this was a veteran team with a QB signed for the next 6 years then I would keep Moore for the Super Bowl run......

Back
Top Bottom