Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devlin played well enough to stay? And the hard cuts at receiver

If Moore is on the roster, he costs the team $4M. If Moore is cut, he costs the team $4M. Still want to cut him? :)

[video=youtube;1ozzsURtdUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozzsURtdUI[/video]

Well we are kind of locked in at 3 qbs, the only position i could see being trimmed would be TE to make room for the 6th wideout. Sims, egnew, clay, Fernandez. Clay and Fernandez can play both FB and TE so there's definitely a difficult decision there. Is it too early to cut ties with Egnew?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Whatever we do we gotta keep 6 wideouts. Cut back at RB? TE? OLine?

I would keep 5 and take the chance. if teams need help at WR they probably already have a project or two so they will look to veterans. Leaning towards McNutt over Tyms and Bumphis on the 53.

If you think Bumphis would be better than Thigpin in returning kicks you need to watch more football.

Hahaha I agree! Thigpen can be elite. His numbers were great last year. This idea of comparing bumphis to thigpen is asinine

As Built2Win said, Devlin had an up and down game last night, though he did end it on a pretty high note. A 56 yard touchdown on 4th down in the final minutes to win the game was impressive.

Devlin seemed to be shaky this preseason, especially after he got banged up in the early part of the games. I still think he is a project worth keeping and still has the upside to replace Moore as the #2 in 2014 or 2015. I understand he is on the roster bubble and there is talk of cutting ties with him, but I really hope they keep him.

I see little difference between Moore and Devlin, except age and $$$$. Keep Devlin. But let Moore go, dont trade him. He deserves to pick his next team with the loyalty he showed the Phins.

You HAVE to be basing this on Moore's last preseason outing and that's just ridiculous. Everyone and their stepchild knows Moore is a gamer. Look at the Jests game this year when Moore made them his b*tch. Everytime he's called upon he has been money. Best backup in the league and might I mention very supportive of our young, developing starter.

Well we are kind of locked in at 3 qbs, the only position i could see being trimmed would be TE to make room for the 6th wideout. Sims, egnew, clay, Fernandez. Clay and Fernandez can play both FB and TE so there's definitely a difficult decision there. Is it too early to cut ties with Egnew?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

Whatever we do we gotta keep 6 wideouts. Cut back at RB? TE? OLine?

I don't understand anyone wanting to keep 6 WR's. Wallace, Hartline, and Gibson are signed to long term deals, and Matthews is clearly the #4. The #5 WR will likely be targeted around 20-30 times for the year. The #6 guy would be lucky to see the field, and these WR's are nothing special on special teams.

Spending a roster spot on a #6 WR will not happen. It makes no sense.

If the cuts come down to devlin or a player that can contribute this year, i will take the player that can impact the season vs a qb that will probably never ever step on the field in a real game for us.

I don't understand anyone wanting to keep 6 WR's. Wallace, Hartline, and Gibson are signed to long term deals, and Matthews is clearly the #4. The #5 WR will likely be targeted around 20-30 times for the year. The #6 guy would be lucky to see the field, and these WR's are nothing special on special teams.

Spending a roster spot on a #6 WR will not happen. It makes no sense.

As much as I don't like losing on of these guys I would have to agree. A hard decision has to be made between Tyms, Bumphis, and McNutt. I think it will be McNutt based on opportunities given/opportunities taken advantage of. He has stepped up when called upon more than the other two. However, I personally would take Tyms because of the upside and I think he has the right attitude/hunger to continue improving and developing.

If the cuts come down to devlin or a player that can contribute this year, i will take the player that can impact the season vs a qb that will probably never ever step on the field in a real game for us.

I mean either way the 53rd man will probably be inactive all season, so why not have a QB fill that void. QB is the one position on the football team where you can instantly go from solid depth to no depth in one play. I've heard people say, "If Tannehill goes down the season is over anyways" . . . what if we are 8-4 and it happens in the 13th game . . . . should we just fold the tent or ride with Matt Moore and have a guy in Devlin who knows the offense backing him up in case something happens. Last thing I want is Miami picking up John Beck because we decided to dump Pat Devlin because we needed to keep a 7th LB who was inactive all year.

Moore is one of the better backups in the league...and a good guy to have in the locker room. why cut him? The coaches have always seemed to like Devlin, so he may stick also.
I don't like McNutt, but that catch last night MAY have earned him a roster spot. Especially after Bumphis fell off the map after the first two games (coaching staff's plan to stash him?)
Matthews is very smooth and is our 4th.
I like Tyms, and he will be a tough cut.

After all these years, it amazes me that we cannot upgrade from Spitler and Trusnik. Yes, they contribute on special teams, but if Ellerbe, Wheeler, or Misi go down, we create a BIG hole.

If Matt Moore had thrown 10 interceptions in practice and gone 0-25 in preseason, he wouldn't even be in the NFL right now. Preseason is where players earn a chance to play in the regular season. So yes, it matters.

I don;t believe it does with a proven comidity like Moore. Devlin vs Corp, absolutely it matters a great deal but Devlin vs Moore:

1. One QB has had success in real games vs number 1 defenses.
2. One QB has had limited success against 2's, 3's and cuts in preseason.

I still go with option 1 regrdless of whats going on in practice/preseason games.

FWIW, Tannehill has said that Moore is a big help to him, and is maybe the best backup in the league with a guaranteed $4M contract this year. Philbin has had nothing but good things to say of Devlin.

In all due respect, I have to go with these two guys over some of the posts.

I like Matt More as a person and a back up, but he has been out played by Devlin in the Preseason. Trade him in the next few weeks to a team with QB issues!

Back
Top Bottom