DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl

Dolphins need to take him off their board completely. There's a lot of 210 pound receivers that stay covered and drop passes to choose from for Miami.

We could literally draft a bama player with every single pick and you would still whine about it.

Then we could hire every single bama coach and you would still bvtch about the dolphins all while spending hours each week on a football site devoted to them.

Is this sarcasm? Absolutely nothing a like at all.
Ginn was a track guy playing WR. He was shorter, a bad route runner and wouldn't go over the middle of the field at all. Heck he would run OB 5 yards before just to avoid contact.

Heck lets just look at some football numbers.
Ginn: 37gp 135rec 1943yrd 14.4ypc (career)
Smith: 13gp 117rec 1856yrd 15.9ypc( last year)

Yep so comparable.
That who he remind me of fast guy coming out college..will he be like Ginn.. I dont know that either..Ginn last 13 yr.. it still good career.

Why would he get weighed or timed outside of his friendly neighborhood Alabama Pro-Day? The guy is gonna come in at 165 lbs. and that's gonna scare GM's. His speed is already considered elite, so why take a chance on measuring it and being viewed as less elite? Wait until you've got the best possible situation. There is no Combine and he's not seen as ducking measurements because the Senior Bowl is lucky he is even attending. That's not a typical stop for the top 15 guys. IMHO, he desperately wants to be chosen #3 overall so wants to take the opportunity to hobnob with the Dolphins, because realistically, #3 is the absolute highest he has a chance of being selected. Plus he already has a good relationship with Tua, and I'm sure he wants to let the Dolphins know it an extra 50 or so times during the week.

Many people claim that the practices are the most important part of the Senior Bowl week, but there are also a lot of people saying the interviews are the most important part. By showing up and giving face time (the expression--not the copycat name used for the iphone app) to the Dolphins and making himself available to the GM's of all teams, he is probably getting from the Senior Bowl the absolute best parts for him he would have gotten from the Combine. Smart move on Smith's part.

Also, kids NOT doing what Davonta Smith is doing are missing the boat. GM's need to gain a level of confidence with high picks, and asking them questions on the spot helps allay their worst fears of drafting a bust. More prospects should be doing this in a year without a Combine. It shows courage and a competitive nature, which all GM's love.

I think Harris is doing the same thing. He wants to get picked at 18 which is the highest he could go. I am ok with over drafting these 2 instead of losing out on them. Najee is the only power speed back in this draft. The rest of the RB's are under 6 foot and seem more like Myles Gaskin types.

Last edited:
If we draft Najee Harris in the first round I truly believe I will sh* t a brick....
If dolphins want him.. that bad enough.. I believe they can get him at 18..but it up to flores,Grier and what other players is available ..

I saw a picture of him today on Twitter. Dude looks like an 8th grader. I wanted him but man he has to put some weight on.

If I were Devonta I wouldn't weigh in at all. I sure would run, though. Make sure I run the fastest time I'll ever run. Let whoever wants the speed go w the speed and ignore the weight. If he does the weight juggling act he might not run as fast and just plain dull his appeal.

>>> fools gold to take a stick man in R1 let alone #3 ! in the draft!

Obviously the kid is hiding something -- like he's probably 160 dripping wet!

And pretty sure 6-1 is a bit of a reach. I mean just be freakin' HONEST and

transparent and don't show up with a fake injury.

My opinion. Of course.

Flores not sweating Smith's size: Alabama star WR DeVonta Smith did not participate in the weigh-in on Tuesday, although he intends to be weighed and measured for height at Alabama's pro day. Smith, the explosive Heisman Trophy winner, is listed at just 175 pounds on the Alabama roster. The Dolphins' Brian Flores, who is coaching Smith's National team this week, indicated little concern, however, about Smith's size.

"If you're a good player -- I mean, you can nitpick all you want about a guy's size -- good players are good players are good players," Flores said. "I think we all can see that, and this guy's a very good player. He made a lot of plays in college, he made a lot of plays in the big games -- biggest games of the year. You can nitpick all day about things on people but he's a very good player. It's been good getting to know him, too. He's a good kid, too."

If he can get open and catch, I don’t see a problem
Best comment apart from when he gets tackled/hit. Seeing too many poor tackling that might get him nailed.
Regarding tackling. This season ive seen some the most wuss, lame tackling ever. I get the lack of pre season and training stuff but if that whats coming out of college level generally its poor.

Flores not sweating Smith's size: Alabama star WR DeVonta Smith did not participate in the weigh-in on Tuesday, although he intends to be weighed and measured for height at Alabama's pro day. Smith, the explosive Heisman Trophy winner, is listed at just 175 pounds on the Alabama roster. The Dolphins' Brian Flores, who is coaching Smith's National team this week, indicated little concern, however, about Smith's size.

"If you're a good player -- I mean, you can nitpick all you want about a guy's size -- good players are good players are good players," Flores said. "I think we all can see that, and this guy's a very good player. He made a lot of plays in college, he made a lot of plays in the big games -- biggest games of the year. You can nitpick all day about things on people but he's a very good player. It's been good getting to know him, too. He's a good kid, too."

Go Flo

What is Flores supposed to say? Yes he's got great hands and make plays but he will be lucky to make week 3 before he's gets snapped like a twig by a Safety of LB that can't tackle for crap? Seeing poor tackling too much this season and we all know how that ends up.

Coaches speak, he’ll be there want him or he won’t, At least two in probably five others that will be just as good can’t wait to see how it plays out

Back
Top Bottom