DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DeVonta Smith Declines to be weighed or measured at Senior Bowl

Quick, name the last receiver that had Smith's production and also had a big build.

These theoretical hoops to jump through to justify drafting a receiver that high are silly.
I could also challenge you to tell me how many of the most productive college receivers in the last 20 years were among the NFLs best after they got drafted. Here’s a hint, almost none..

I’m not as concerned about build as I am about overvaluing the draft position in general. 20 or later is where we should be finding our star WRs, and all the current best teams in the NFL are proof of it.

Had a little thought on why he doesnt want to be measured.... Smitty could be picked at #2 by the Jets (if they plan on building around Darnold), and so maybe coach Flores has bought into him so much that they are in cahoots on dropping him into the #3 pick. Also Flores has stated how he thinks he is a very, very good player.
Finally Dont you think Smitty knows not weighing in would hurt his draft stock? I mean, its the talk of the town right now!! Too obvious if you ask me. Something FISHY is going on here.

Had a little thought on why he doesnt want to be measured.... Smitty could be picked at #2 by the Jets (if they plan on building around Darnold), and so maybe coach Flores has bought into him so much that they are in cahoots on dropping him into the #3 pick. Also Flores has stated how he thinks he is a very, very good player.
Finally Dont you think Smitty knows not weighing in would hurt his draft stock? I mean, its the talk of the town right now!! Too obvious if you ask me. Something FISHY is going on here.
Nah, I don't think there is anything to it other than waiting for his pro day where he'll get weighed, run, catch, do pull ups. It will give him some time and all under his control. He didn't gain an ounce in the best collegiate system in the world after 3 years, I doubt if he's going to pack on 10 lbs in 2 months and not sure anybody cares. If Jets stick with Darnold they'd be fools to take Smith @2, of wait, it's the Jets so they may do it. He'll go high but at 170 lbs, no way #2

A lot of players don't weigh or run at certain events. Even the combine as well. With Smith only negative is his weight. Then most players loose weight during the season of playing football. Plus most players of his draft stock don't go to the Senior Bowl. He is going for the interviews becauseofcovid that may limit interactions between players and teams.

Lets put it to rest. Flores is not concern about Smith size. So do we.

At 1:05, he said either can play or can't play. Sounds like we are getting Smith

No. What's "silly" is folks ignoring BASIC positional facts like height weight etc. Is a 5-6 QB OK?. Like no prob with that? At what point for a QB is it silly to be aware of height. Like drafting a kid and he shows up 5-6 and everyone is surprised! How about weight? You don't think a WRs weight is a LEGIT factor to consider. I say *&!@^$! with that crap! The kid is at the facility and REFUSES to get weighed! Like WTF is that about? He got silly and went on Jenny Craig for a few weeks just for fun? I'll tell you what -- that alone makes me question the kid psychologically. I don't need some head case stick man WR @ #3 when there are kids willing to show up and get measured FOR REAL. Just a counter point to consider!
Then we shouldn't draft Chase either because he literally dodged an entire season which makes him a gigantic coward, ya?

I could also challenge you to tell me how many of the most productive college receivers in the last 20 years were among the NFLs best after they got drafted. Here’s a hint, almost none..

I’m not as concerned about build as I am about overvaluing the draft position in general. 20 or later is where we should be finding our star WRs, and all the current best teams in the NFL are proof of it.
We should draft QBs in the 6th round only too because half of the teams in the Super Bowl are proof of it.

I don’t see his size as a durability issue. I doubt it’s any easier to tear his ACL than it is for someone who outweighs him by 20 or 30 pounds. His bones won’t break any easier. He’s not playing offensive line, I mean before they changed the rules and added illegal contact, then I could see the issue would be can he get off the LOS, but with the Rule changes he’ll probably be just fine.
Kiper was just asked about having three WRs in his top 10 who do not have the mammoth size of past top 10 and top 5 WRs. Kiper basically said the game has changed, the rules have changed. The NFL is now a space game and smaller WRs are having huge and immediate impacts. IMO those that keep saying, "don't take a WR in the top 5" or "you need elite size/speed to go in the top 5" are behind the times.

I do think there's an argument that smaller players are less prone to tendon injuries. I haven't seen any specific studies related to size and tendon injuries, but I do recall articles in the past speculating that tendon injuries were increasing due to increased player size. I have, however, seen multiple studies looking at size and injuries in general. All have at least concluded that smaller players are not more prone to injuries. A few have found that smaller players have lower injury rates (IMO that's probably related to play style). Personally, whenever a poster or media member or whomever keeps saying that they are worried about Smith's durability b/c of his size, I think that either they are just ignorant of the facts or they just are the type that ignore facts that don't jive with what they want to believe.

Lets put it to rest. Flores is not concern about Smith size. So do we.

At 1:05, he said either can play or can't play. Sounds like we are getting Smith

Yeah I watched that yesterday. It's about getting good players and Smith is one of the top 5 players in this draft.

BTW "Smith did submit hand (9 3/8 inches), arm (31 1/2) and wingspan (78 1/2) measurements on Tuesday". I really like that wing span. That translates to about a 6'6.5" height on a standard build. That's what we see translate to his large catch radius on the field.

Yeah I watched that yesterday. It's about getting good players and Smith is one of the top 5 players in this draft.

BTW "Smith did submit hand (9 3/8 inches), arm (31 1/2) and wingspan (78 1/2) measurements on Tuesday". I really like that wing span. That translates to about a 6'6.5" height on a standard build. That's what we see translate to his large catch radius on the field.
He said it three times, 'a good player is a good player is a good player, people always nitpicking.....'.
We are drafting Smith, whether at third or trade down a few spots. You can take it to the bank.

Back
Top Bottom