Devonta Smith | Page 39 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Devonta Smith

There's a bunch of physical man coverage in there. The play at *1:00* is phenomenal, thats an INT 99% of the time even for NFL WRs.*4:31*, I mean thats just silly. Smith already plays the position like a 4 year NFL vet... His only perceived con is his weight, and Im not about to dismiss that type of greatness because he's 10 pounds lighter than I'd like.

There is a lot of talk about his weight and strength, but I fail to ever see it be a detriment on tape. He was often matched up against future 1st/2rd round corners in the SEC and they couldn't stop him. With all the talk about his weight you'd think we'd find some evidence of it being a hindrance in those matchups.

I'm aware of the is a big gap between the NFL and the SEC. I don't like drafting outliers. Who wouldn't prefer a prototype with such a high pick? But I like great players, and that is what I saw from Devanta all last season.

And on the play u referenced there is a second DB closing in on him as he runs the comeback. Smith is great at catching w his hands, but u notice he beats him to the ball and body catches that one so the defender can't knock it out of his grasp. You can just tell the guy is a student of the game. That's why he outplays physically superior players.

Last edited:
Paco, I'm sure you're not surprised to hear that I totally agree with you. I've been screaming for a huge upgrade in the RB room for a long time. It was tough to see us miss on some very fine RB's in last year's draft and I think it's become very important to right that wrong, use #18 and get a RB that breaks the other teams will. That's who we need to be identity wise. We'll blast it down their throats with our big, talented o-line and new stud, rookie RB ( please be Najee, my preference) and force defenses to devote more assets to stop the run and then Tua will surgically pick the defense apart until they are crying for their Mommies!!!!! You get all this just for snagging Najee!!!!

I'm kidding around but Buffalo beat us badly twice last year. We owe them a cheap trouncing but if we don't have the horses on offense AGAIN this off-season will have been a failure. We've got the picks and the right players are there, we simply need to pick them!! Pick from Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts at #6 and pair our great new receiver with a great, difference making RB, there are 3 Najee, Etienne and Williams. At #18 make Najee a Dolphin. We would never regret having this super talented kid on our team. I don't care of he's over drafted, a reach, it's too early too draft RBs, all these narratives can take a hike when we're talking about these 3 RBs. I listed 7 players, at the end of the 18th pick if 2 of those guys are Dolphin's we'll have gone a long way to add explosiveness to our offense and some much needed elite playmaking ability. We'll be on our way to a super great draft!! BTW, don't sleep on Demetric Felton, UCLA receiver who is a converted RB who still had 86 carries running the ball last season along with 600 yards catching the ball as a receiver. Watch some tape, this kid is electric and a lot of fun to watch. He might last to the 4th round imo.

If chase or Pitts arent available at #6 I think Waddle makes more sense than Smith. Waddle is more versatile, can play in the slot which we desperately need and special teams and we know that this staff values players who can make impact in different ways. If our offense is going to be similar to New England's offense when Brady was there then having a someone like Pitts or Waddle is more valuable than Smith. Waddle was outperforming smith before he got injured. I think many on here are sleeping on Waddle as a possibility at #6.

The 4 receivers are so close. Each brings a different element to the team that picks them. If it's between Smith and Waddle I wouldn't be surprised at all if they preferred Waddle. I've always been a look at the tape kind of guy and Smith's tape is extraordinary and he kept getting better until he blew up the Championship game with an unreal night. I like Smith right there at #6. Any of the 4 make me happy, just don't get too slick for yourself and miss on the main targets.

The 4 receivers are so close. Each brings a different element to the team that picks them. If it's between Smith and Waddle I wouldn't be surprised at all if they preferred Waddle. I've always been a look at the tape kind of guy and Smith's tape is extraordinary and he kept getting better until he blew up the Championship game with an unreal night. I like Smith right there at #6. Any of the 4 make me happy, just don't get too slick for yourself and miss on the main targets.
I agree with you. To me (and I'm no expert) the mark of all four being great is the last guy you watch on tape strikes you as the best of the four. It doesn't matter which one you watch, they all flash enormous talent and varied skills to get the job done. If all are on the board, I would cringe at passing on Pitts. After that, I'm torn. I don't think I can be disappointed in either of the other three. I'll say this for Chase; he did it as a 19 year old. Waddle and Smith turned 22 last year. How much better will Chase get as he just turned 21?

If chase or Pitts arent available at #6 I think Waddle makes more sense than Smith. Waddle is more versatile, can play in the slot which we desperately need and special teams and we know that this staff values players who can make impact in different ways. If our offense is going to be similar to New England's offense when Brady was there then having a someone like Pitts or Waddle is more valuable than Smith. Waddle was outperforming smith before he got injured. I think many on here are sleeping on Waddle as a possibility at #6.
I think this is really good observation. We all have recency bias. Before the injury, Waddle was the guy you watched on that team. His return skills are unreal. You really see his incredible speed and shiftiness. It would not surprise me at all if Miami has him above Smith. Either way, they're clearly content to get one of these guys or they wouldn't have moved up to that spot to ensure it.

Has anyone ever watched a highlight reel where they show the player being ****? No. I bet even 7 round picks can put out a three minute reel.
College football gives you a good guide but the nfl is a different beast.

Has anyone ever watched a highlight reel where they show the player being ****? No. I bet even 7 round picks can put out a three minute reel.
College football gives you a good guide but the nfl is a different beast.
For sure.

But I've seen some highlight videos on YouTube that show every single play a player is in (in a game)..so yeah. It happens!

Back
Top Bottom