Dez Bryant To Dolphins? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant To Dolphins?

that would be good sign. if we got money.... it would help thill17 out as will.

You're right. Let's get an aging, past-his-prime receiver that has a habit of disgruntling all of the people around him. His sideline temper tantrums will work wonders for us.

I'd take a hard pass... there's a huge reason he's still a free agent.

6'2" 220 lbs physical receiver that's what intrigues you about Bryant, Cowboy's owe him 8 mil in 2018 so it's possible you could get him somewhat cheap on a 1 year deal...having Grant line up on the outside behind him for that wide receiver screen Gase seems to run 4 or 5 times a game, is he a willing blocker? Would he be willing to reinvent himself play all 3 receivers positions, how would he look playing close to 50% of his snaps from the slot, is he walking in here thinking he WR #1 or just one of the WR's who are going to have to share snaps. Is there space on the roster for him Dolphins carry 6 max....if there not happy with Parker now would be the time to trade him and actually get something for him....is Bryant smart if not how does that limit? what does he bring to the locker room?

He does offer something the Dolphins lack, physicality - is it needed? - Ref's don't throw as many flags in the playoffs
17 mil for Suh contract june 1st - rookies, DT then maybe Bryant if there is money left
One thing the Dolphins do need is a defensive tackle.....

Let me see if I'm hearing this right.

So, we spend the entire offseason cutting out people who are me-first, non-leaders, and high-salaried veterans. Then comes along a me-first, non-leader, high-salaried veteran who has lost his speed to separate, and we are expected to throw money at him? And it is considered a good idea even after having added Danny Amendola (productive, team-first guy from a direct rival) and Albert Wilson (productive, team-first, young guy with oodles of speed and great route running) in free agency and drafting two TE's? So how is this pitched to Ross … "unlike Mike Wallace, Dez is a team-player, quick learner, never-going-to-be-tempted-by-South-Beach guy, who offers us size and physicality that we don't have in guys like DeVante Parker or Mike Gesicki" … or something like that?

Oh HAY-ull no.

Dez may be right for some team, but bringing him to South Beach just doesn't sound likely. Gase is doubling-down on guys he KNOWS he can coach and get to do exactly what he wants executing his precision offense. Dez isn't that guy. Dez is a high-risk and high-reward temperamental talent who is a slow learner and never played in Gase's system.

I can see how people would be interested in the upside. I can see how people can envision Tannenbaum making this type of dramatic move. I can see how the Cowboys connection makes it believable. I can see how people would hear a 1-year prove it deal and think of us. I can see how they would think about a past-his-prime player who lost his speed might come here (LAWOLrence Timmons?). I can see how the media puts 2 + 2 together to get 22 (Hmmm, the Dolphins lost Landry and are collecting WR's, so why not write a click-bait Cowboys story about them!). I can even see why Dez's agent would want to connect himself to the always big-money FA participants, the Miami Dolphins. But at the end of the day, it's just not going to happen.

Counterpoints: Dez lost a step and wouldn't be able to make the transition to a new system before his 1 year prove-it contract ends. Chris Grier has been making mostly smart personnel moves. We filled the loss of 1 WR and having 0 TE's by adding 2 FA WR's and drafting 2 TE's. Gase is prioritizing leaders and team-first guys, which are not Dez's strengths. Gase is essentially in a 'contract year' and wants to ride or die with guys that can unquestionably execute his system, which is not Dez.

We still have a hole … it's at DT. We need a DT, not a Dez.

Last edited:
I doubt Dez in our plans, but I haven't heard anything on Jonathan Hankins. Could be a June 1st signing once the Suh relief money kicks in. Also just checked the schedule and we play Indy on 11/25. Could it be a coincidence?

Unless it comes from Enduro, I'm not buying it.

I think Enduro went out of business

DCF.jpg

The Cowboys had to hire a professional babysitter for their man baby.

that would be good sign. if we got money.... it would help thill17 out as will.

its like whatever you post, the exact opposite is what we should probably do. I'll pass on the over hill, over paid possession WR that can't get open and can't catch.

IMO Dez isn't as bad as the stats show from the past two years, but he isn't that guy from 12-14 anymore.
Where Dez made his money was being physical with the corners before and after the catch. Was a pita to cover him and a pita to tackle him. Another thing that made him special was that he could outjump anyone for the football.

With Romo, they had that connection the great duos have. Romo could chuck it to the perfect spot where Dez could use his leaping ability to where it was exactly where it needed to be. Romo was precise on his passes.
Dak on the other hand isn't some inaccurate passer, but his precision on where the ball needs to be for the receiver needs some work, which isn't too outrageous for a complaint for a 2nd year QB. But when they would try that fade, or throw into coverage, the ball had to be exactly above Dez head for a tough completion but instead it would be off to the left or right leading to a breakup by the corner.
Dez psyches himself up at times, at the point where he needs to relax, but I think Dak didn't want to deal with that, especially when the 17-18 season wasn't shaping up as everyone hoped it would be. Maybe Romo being the vet leader could get Dez in the right mindset but Dak being a 2nd year guy didn't feel like he could do that? Dunno, speculating there.

Dez got by on talent, and being close to 30 his god-given talent isn't the same as it was when he was 22-25. Younger physical corners now can get into his head and affect his game.
Stephen Jones never really cared to extend Dez in the 2015 season. Was content on the franchise tag. Why? who knows.
But Dez was being a distraction on social media, and IMO Jerry caved and gave him that deal to limit any disruptions for any 2015 run. Which went off the rails right away with Dez fracturing a bone in his foot week 1 and Romo breaking his collarbone in week 2.

If Gase wants a precise route runner who is drama free, Dez isn't that guy. Dez is the WR you try to get the ball into his hands right away and hope he can make a corner miss for yac.

Definitely not a locker room guy. But IMO great coaches have control with there players to keep them in line. Gase aint so good at that so ill say no. Dez will be traded by week 5 for a 2031 7th round pick

Back
Top Bottom