DG or no DG and the Cap (merged 2x) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DG or no DG and the Cap (merged 2x)

Would you like to see Daryl Gardner get cut?

• Yes

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • other (explain)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
What Is Our Cap Situation If We Release Gardner?

How would his release impact us cap guys?

:eat: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
DG or no DG

Would you like for DG to leave the Dolphins? Wouldnt it be better to trade someone or even a low draft pick for him? Personally I want him to stay at least one more Yr. I dont know WTF the Dolphins are thinking?

Re: DG or no DG

Originally posted by WCoastFin
Would you like for DG to leave the Dolphins? Wouldnt it be better to trade someone or even a low draft pick for him? Personally I want him to stay at least one more Yr. I dont know WTF the Dolphins are thinking?

DG is a good player, but if we could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him we should make a trade.

Who is going to give a 1st or 2nd to a DT with back problems, and sometimes a bit of an attitude problem?

Re: Re: DG or no DG

Originally posted by booyeah_

DG is a good player, but if we could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him we should make a trade.

No IF about it IMO....No Way could we get a decent pick for DG with his cap and health issues.

I'm not so sure if D. Gardener can get the job done at DE. He hasn't proven anything yet at that position as of today...

His back has limited him every season since the injuy, and in the long run, it's hurt our defense late in the season. He's simply not reliable because of his back problems....

We're all hoping the move to DE will take some well needed pressure off of his back, and keep him healthy an entire season including deep into the playoffs. All we're doing is hoping....

The odds of that happening aren't very promising after looking at the last few seasons....

I was excited when I first heard the Phinz were going to move him outside. He's a monster of a man, and with his speed, he could basically run over, or around most OT's.....But his health remains a huge issue if we plan on keeping the defense strong throughout the entire season.

This rumor of dumping DG, and signing a DT like S. Adams, is an idea that I think could work to our benefit not just this year, but for years to come. L. Chester is still not fully recovered from injury, and neither is T. Bowens. Both are expected to start at DT.

S. Adams, while expensive, would be able to come in right away and start. L. Chester could be used as a back-up along with E. Grant and J. Haley.....

We could rotate R. Burnett, D. Bowens, and A. Ogunleye at DE on the left side opposite J. Taylor.

I don't see it happening, but if it did, there's no way I would consider it a bad decision. S. Adams is a house, and with him and T. Bowens in the middle, our DL would be dominating....

PHINZ RULE!!!

D. Gardener Gone: Who Knows??

I see the excitement over all of this, and I can understand why some of you may think that it's not worth looking into, but I'm not one of them....

Why??....

1.) D. Gardener is an injury waiting to happen.
2.) He's never played DE at the NFL level.
3.) When we need him in the playoffs, he's never there.
4.) L. Chester and T. Bowens are both recooperating still.
5.) We already have R. Burnett, D. Bowens, and A. Ogunleye.
6.) Signing S. Adams as a result would be a tremedndous upgrade at DT.

The list can go on.....

Cutting D. Gardener isn't as big of a risk as it sounds IMO. We need him healthy for a whole season, and he never is.....What good is he when teams are rushing for over 200yrds against you in a home playoff game???.....I

Instead of looking at Gardener, and being overwhelmed by his size and speed, try remembering what has happened every year since his back starting acting up. One week he's alright, and we dominate, the next, he's experiencing spasms, and can't go. He's already a risk as it is.....Sure, when he's healthy he's a great DT.

He's not at DT anymore though.....We don't even know for a fact that he can get the job done at DE and stay healthy at the same time. We're all praying, and hoping it will happen, but the chances in reality are slim....

If D. Gardener is cut, we've still got the likes of R. Burnett, D. Bowens, and A. Ogunleye at DE. All are capable of putting up the same numbers as Mixon/Bromell did last season, if not better. I thought D. Bowens was better than either one of them last year.

In addition, we could sign DT S. Adams. A proven Pro-Bowler. A rock solid DT that nobody runs through. NOBODY.

Put L. Chester at back-up behind S. Adams along with J. Haley and E. Grant, and you've got one very solid DL. ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!!

Don't put all of your stock into D. Gardener. He's a long shot, and a risky one at that once he switches to DE. We're all having pipe-dreams of him becoming this instoppable force at DE. When all we really have right now, is an unproven/injury prone DT making a switch to a position he's never played in the NFL.

I'd seriously consider cutting himif we could get a DT like S. Adams in return.....You should too.

PHINZ RULE!!!

:monkey: JETS SUCK!!!!

You make some valid points. What kind of cap hit would the 'Fins receive if he were to be released?

by-by daryl g...........

BLITZ: great post! couldn't have said it better myself. i think sam adams would definately be an upgrade over d.g.

the injury factor combined with what he is making on salary puts a big bulls eye on him. if we can dump/trade him and not take a cap bath, we have to do it. expecially if we can land sam adams in the process!!

:monkey: on the jets

Originally posted by BMarion31
What kind of cap hit would the 'Fins receive if he were to be released?

Thats what I want to know, too.

I actually dont think it would be that bad this year. Since we restructured his contract, he was allotted a small amount into this years salary. His signing bonus would be spread out over about 5 years i think.

I don't buy that website for a second. Rumors are just that. Rumors. For everyone that is true there are 10 that are false.

I do believe Gardener is on a short rope but only because of his health. If he stays healthy and has a great year then he is going no where. If he gets injured again he will cut next season. I don't need a website to tell me that. It's common sense.

There is no way, no how he gets cut this year though.

Back
Top Bottom