Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dick Vermiel says a deal for Surtain is in the works

HVACservice said:
King Carl can keep playing games.

While the KC window continues to get smaller and smaller.......

Surtain`s salary is already accounted for in this years cap.

We will simply keep him and franchise him next year if need be.

We could release Derrius Thompson and have all the money we need to sign picks and head into next year.

Point being.....Miami can always wait until next year.

Were not giving up Surtain for the 100th pick in the draft and a 3rd rounder next year. (2006 2nd round value)

Its not going to happen!!!

I am thinking that if Saban wants to trade down and get alot of picks. He will use Surtain in the trading down to get another first day pick.

first&goal said:
....I was not aware thats Surtain wants out, I thought that PS was more then happy to stay in Miami.

He is happy here.

Thats just one more thing negating any leverage the Chiefs would have if he was "demanding" a trade.

But he isn't......

So its back to a second this year and a fourth in 2006.

PhinDude88 said:
I am thinking that if Saban wants to trade down and get alot of picks. He will use Surtain in the trading down to get another first day pick.

Just keep in mind that the team wanting to move up and get Surtain....

Needs to have some cap room.

San Diego could be interesting......they have the picks, need and the salary cap room.

first&goal said:
....I was not aware thats Surtain wants out, I thought that PS was more then happy to stay in Miami.

To be fair, I don't know his situation. But he doesn't want to stay in Miami enough to compromise his salary. If a guy prices himself off of a team, that's a signal to move on in my opinion.

To be fair, I don't know his situation. But he doesn't want to stay in Miami enough to compromise his salary. If a guy prices himself off of a team, that's a signal to move on in my opinion.

He'd be willing to compromise a lot to stay in Miami. But, Miami is drawing the line in the sand here and now on spending too much money on defense and not enough on offense. We've got some younger players on offense that might turn out pretty good and will need those long term contracts some time down the road sooner or later (McMichael), but with a long term contract already committed to Zach, Jason, and again with Surtain, we wouldn't be able to give them those contracts.

I think everyone needs to calm down a little...if it is meant to be, a deal will get done...as has been stated, we don't HAVE to trade PS, but Saban gave him the opportunity to move on since Saban was looking for a 2 or 3 year deal with him, not a 5 or 6 year deal. We also didn't want to shell out the big signing bonus he was looking for. Since that time, the Cheifs apparently have worked out the general parameters for a LT deal for PS and now the compensation to the Fins has to be worked out. That is where we are...If Vermiel stated that things are in the works, to me, that means that Peterson and Saban are talking back and forth... As to what has or has not been offered, the only thing we know for sure is that at one time, KC was offering a 4th rounder. That wasn't sufficient for Saban. Take this comment for what it is worth, Saban and Peterson are talking and that is progress. As to what we all want to see as comp. for PS, yea it would have to be a day one pick this year (or possibly next year) and something extra from there, whether it be this year or next. We just have to wait and see what transpires from here...

Back
Top Bottom