Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

Did Charles Harris have a successful rookie season?

• Total voters
Both Harris and especially Andre Branch project much better as OLB's in a base 3-4, and Wake can do his thing in either. Wake actually dropped into zone coverage quite a bit this last year and looked good from what I saw.

Draft Vita Vea and the Dolphins are on their way to a dominating defense.

Love it.

He’s better than Cam Wake was at the same age so there’s that.

I like Harris's potential, he works hard from all accounts and is part of the building blocks for the future. I know we expect our first round picks to have immediate success, but that's not always the case, let's give him more time and I think he will be good.

HE improved considerably as the season went on and ended up being one of our most consistent performers. HE got much better pressure and ended up grading out as one of our better players over the final weeks of the season. I would say yes if you look at it from a developmental standpoint.

Keep in mind that he is still relatively new to football and only started playing as a Junior in high school. He is a player that is trending up.

His season was a success to me. I think Charles Harris is learning and his progression was visible.He stayed healthy and played every game. He still has a high ceiling from a production standpoint and he will blossom into a good player in Miami. Should he have been taken at 22 - probably not but he shouldn't be labeled an bust either Its a long term projection thing. having said that, If his stats don't improve next year then I will start to grumble but the rookie season good or bad does not make a career.

I voted yes. He came along after the first few weeks and at times seemed to be the only player on the edge getting to the QB. Can't judge strictly based on sacks. The sacks will come with improved technique. I love his work ethic and that alone is a huge recipe for success when you've got the talent and ability, which he clearly has.

Gonna dig this thread back up in January 2019.

He was fine. Now obviously you expect a nice uptick in performance next year now that he had a full year in the NFL/offseason conditioning.

i don't think he had a great rookie year by anyone's definition. you can see why we drafted him though. he is great pass rusher but he really needs to work on nearly every other aspect of his game.

Well if you’re a PFF backer he had almost a 80 overall rating with his best game being a 87 against KC. Got better as the year went on which is what you expect.

He needs to be a more consistent force next year, which I expect that to happen.

No. Even rookies shouldn't be missing easy tackles (sacks) on Qb's, inexcusable. He and Wake missed some crucial tackles and took some horrible angles in key situations throughout the season, that's why his stats suck. He struggles wrapping up. Wake is old and that's why he can't finish the same anymore, and Harris was very disappointing. Wish we took Lamp and said so at the time, but I hope he proves me wrong. Andre Branch is the best defensive end on this roster now and he too had a bad season lol. Thank God our DT's are strong, because our ends suck. Still missing OV...

Last edited:
No. Even rookies shouldn't be missing easy tackles (sacks) on Qb's, inexcusable. He and Wake missed some crucial tackles and took some horrible angles in key situations throughout the season, that's why his stats suck. He can't wrap up. Wake is old and that's why he can't finish the same anymore, and Harris was very disappointing. Wish we took Lamp and said so at the time, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Can you give me any specific examples, I watch most of the games and I didn't notice anything like that.

Can you give me any specific examples, I watch most of the games and I didn't notice anything like that.

With Wake that missed sack on Tyrod, showed he's officially over the hill. If he made that play, the entire game changes, 7 points right there. Harris I can't remember specifically, he just doesn't make an impact. There were definitely times where he could have contained the QB better, or fought harder for a sack but just didn't (doesn't play like his hair is on fire). He doesn't have the look of a special player, but he is still very young and athletic, so hopefully he at least turns out decent. With Wake when he first showed up in Miami, you could tell there was something special about him, but that time has passed.

Here is the video of the critical missed sack by Wake: .
It's only 1 play (about 25 seconds in) but it was huge. Harris stopped moving on this play to watch Wake miss the tackle, had he never stopped moving, he would have been able to contain/tackle Tyrod. On a play this critical, I don't get why a defensive end would stop attacking the QB, and lose the edge with so much time available, just lazy. He just spins and then stands there lol, instead of finishing his pursuit or having the awareness to contain Tyrod. Just 1 play, but that's how he plays and why he doesn't put up stats. This play killed me and our season imo.

Last edited:
I did notice at least twice that QBs were bouncing off our DLineman’s sack. I thought one of the times it was due to the Dwight Freeney-styled sack-fumble takedown. Probably was Wake both times but those hurt. Our guy got there and they still made a play. It’s not fair!

I didn't like the pick then, and I don't now. I barely even noticed him all season.

I had a hard deciding on this, to the point of thinking of voting yes and no, but in the end, I went with yes.

No matter what, the 1st year is when you learn, and begin to get get comfortable playing in the NFL, where even the weakest talent was told in college. Harris also did come on a bit in the end, and though he did not get enough sacks, did show a good amount of pressure, and did have plays he made taken away because of penalty.

Back
Top Bottom