Did Falcons violate "Rooney Rule"? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Falcons violate "Rooney Rule"?

I am pretty sure Singletary' interviews might have more to do with him being a legend, than a minority. I doubt he is the next "token brother", the guy is a monster. He'll be a good coach with that kind of passion.

Singletary has built a solid rep for himself as San Frans assistant and LBs coach. I still think he needs to head a defensive unit for 2yrs or so to take that leap to HC spot, but he seems to be on the right track. Not to mention the kind of fire and enthusiasm he brings to the table.
Like has been said, its good of him to get his name out there now, he will be taken more seriously every interview he did.
He is not a "token" the falcons interviewed several other minority guys as well such as Tomlin and Rivera.

Token brother? Oh please. He has no experience as a head coach and has never been a coordinator. He's just not qualified. Besides, he cannot be the token brother when Tomlin is also getting interviewed.

Also...Rivera is hispanic...that makes 2 minority interviews

I really hope that whoever is the choice of the Steelers (and it looks like it's Grimm from what I have heard) gets scooped up from under them while they're busy interviewing a minority candidate to satisfy the rule.

I say that not because I disagree with interviewing a minority candidate in many cases but because the rule goes too far in the situation where everybody knows a team is going to hire one guy. The Lions and Mooch are the perfect example. Everybody knew that's the way they were going, and the reason made sense at the time. Why punish them for failing to put on a show?

Chow is also a minority canidate.

Can't wait for a time when a rule like this isn't necessary..........

Why is a rule like this ever necessary? If you don't pick the best man for the job regardless of unimportant stuff like skin color you will regret it when that coach is beating your arse.

I race super late models. There are guys that I beat every week, and who have never won a race, that are getting Nascar contracts. Why??? Because they are Hispanic or Indian decent, or basically anything other than caucasion.

Why is a rule like this ever necessary? If you don't pick the best man for the job regardless of unimportant stuff like skin color you will regret it when that coach is beating your arse.

It's necessary because the "Good Ole Boys Club" still exist. Too many times in the past owners were recycling the same coaches, even when those coaches showed they did not have what it takes to be a head coach while other qualified candidates were stuck as coordinators.

Not trying to be a jerk, but how are people up in arms with Saban threads no longer being Dolphin related but no one complains about this one? I for one don't really care, but man are there some hypocrites on this site.

I really hope that whoever is the choice of the Steelers (and it looks like it's Grimm from what I have heard) gets scooped up from under them while they're busy interviewing a minority candidate to satisfy the rule.

I say that not because I disagree with interviewing a minority candidate in many cases but because the rule goes too far in the situation where everybody knows a team is going to hire one guy. The Lions and Mooch are the perfect example. Everybody knew that's the way they were going, and the reason made sense at the time. Why punish them for failing to put on a show?

I think there is a need for the rule but Detroit was going to hire Mooch and who can blame them he was probably best coach out there. I thought the Del Rio hiring was an example where they could have possibly said there were better minority canidates than him since
he had only been coaching for 6 years and only two as defensive coordinator of carolina. This also shows that teams are going to hire whoever they like regardless of who has this experience and such. There is also alot of age discrimination when looking at coaches because some of the older coaches get overlooked for head jobs for some of the so called young up and comers.

This kind of job is very subjective, how do you determine the best man for the job. I'm sure most old white men which own NFL teams are more comfortable hiring other white men so the rule is necessary because many black assistants were getting overlooked for jobs every year, at least now they may get thier name out there. THE NCAA is much worse and probably should try to fix thier mess, I'm sure Alabama really looked hard at some black coaches lol. There are still problems because I see guys getting hired as coaches that have put in far less time and had less success than other coaches that have never been given a chance ala Jack Del Rio's hiring in Jacksonville.

I race super late models. There are guys that I beat every week, and who have never won a race, that are getting Nascar contracts. Why??? Because they are Hispanic or Indian decent, or basically anything other than caucasion.

Yea Nascar does have too many black drivers for sure. I do agree with best man for the job but in the system how many minorites have been given a real chance to succeed. It's 2006 and there is not one black driver in all of NAscar, so I'm sure they would love to at least expand the sport beyond where its at.

Back
Top Bottom