Did Falcons violate "Rooney Rule"? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Falcons violate "Rooney Rule"?

KyPhinfan13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't remember hearing that the Atlanta Falcons interviewed anybody before they hired Petrino. Did they interview Rivera? (who would qualify as a minority candidate.) Or was Petrino their first and only candidate?

taken from cbs sportsline article...

The Falcons spent the past several days interviewing NFL assistants, including Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary.

....Singletary, he's the new token brother that will be interviewed for every job. If I was Mike I would consider it to be a slap in the face. They did the same thing with Art Shell every year.

taken from cbs sportsline article...

The Falcons spent the past several days interviewing NFL assistants, including Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary.

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

actually we were the ones to drag out Art Shell and he was thankful to get his name out again, I'm sure it helped him land the Oakland job

....Singletary, he's the new token brother that will be interviewed for every job. If I was Mike I would consider it to be a slap in the face. They did the same thing with Art Shell every year.
Token brother? Oh please. He has no experience as a head coach and has never been a coordinator. He's just not qualified. Besides, he cannot be the token brother when Tomlin is also getting interviewed.

does Norm Chow count as a minority candidate? havent heard his name mentioned in any of these discussions.

alright, bad choice of words, but you got the point.

The point that you got no point? :tongue:

Mike Singletary will be a head coach in this league. May not be this year but within the next couple years he will be. Guys a natural leader.

The point that you got no point? :tongue:

Mike Singletary will be a head coach in this league. May not be this year but within the next couple years he will be. Guys a natural leader.

i agree he will be in several years. Its a smart move for him to get some interviews in now while he can get some practice and try to understand exactly what owners and GM's want from a head coach.

I also wanna note, Denny green and Art Shell were both guys that went around fulfilling the quota for teams, and they both eventually got hired as well. Shell for the Raiders and Green for the cardinals. Eventually, if Singeltary is patient and works hard, he'll get a job offer too. Just like Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy, and Herman Edwards.

i agree he will be in several years. Its a smart move for him to get some interviews in now while he can get some practice and try to understand exactly what owners and GM's want from a head coach.

I also wanna note, Denny green and Art Shell were both guys that went around fulfilling the quota for teams, and they both eventually got hired as well. Shell for the Raiders and Green for the cardinals. Eventually, if Singeltary is patient and works hard, he'll get a job offer too. Just like Lovie Smith, Tony Dungy, and Herman Edwards.
Actually, Dennis Green got the Minnesota job first. I think it was Shell & Green's coaching ability that opened the way for Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay and Herman Edwards in New York.
With more experience, Tomlin and Singletary will probably be the next ones to become head coaches.

Singletary has been interviewed for a few years now, no one but Al Davis would have hired Art Shell. My point was, just to interview these guys for the sake of the rule, when you know their not even on your radar, is not fair. Shell even said after he interveiwed here that it was clear that Miami already had their mind made up. I'm not saying that guys like Tomlin and Singltary won't ever make it or don't deserve it. But I think it's clear that as of right now, no one is SERIOUSLY considering them, except for a few genius's here of course.

Actually, Dennis Green got the Minnesota job first. I think it was Shell & Green's coaching ability that opened the way for Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay and Herman Edwards in New York.
With more experience, Tomlin and Singletary will probably be the next ones to become head coaches.
I didn't even know Tomlin was a minority. Im sure well over half this site doesnt either. Thats great.

I don't think so. Eventually Singletary should get a head coaching position, but I think he needs some more experience.

Futhermore, it's not just "black" coaches that need to be interviewed, but "minorities," and on that count Rivera qualifies as much as Singletary.

Back
Top Bottom