Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6?

I wonder if most teams had Waddle over Smith?
I'm going to wager than most did.

When the season started, Waddle was the 'bama receiver who was most talked about, and through the early going, he was very good. He's faster than Smith, he's stronger than Smith. He has the measurables that work in the NFL.

Smith may be very good, but there are enough red flags on him to drop him on NFL boards. He went 4th for a reason.

Absolutely the right move. Giants supposedly were hoping waddle/Smith fell to them if they didn’t they planned on trading back and taking Toney or Bateman. In a scenario where we stayed at 12, I think Waddle goes 6 to Eagles and Smith goes 11 to Giants. In this hypothetical I think Miami would have taken Jaelan Phillips at 12, then at pick 18 maybe taken Kadarius Toney (if they thought he was a fit in terms of character, which I’m not sure of) or maybe even Elijah Moore or Rashod Bateman. I think there is significant drop off between Waddle and those players and we got Phillips at 18. The other option would have been to take Rashawn Slater at 12 he was by far BPA at position of need but he’s not an ideal scheme fit. After seeing the way the board fell I actually feel much better about moving up

TBD by how important or not important that 2023 is.
If Tua fails to be what we him to be, then that pick could be solid gold.

IMO, If Tua looks good in 2021, then we could package the 2023 first to move up for someone in 2022 and we dont care if it's not as potent as a 2022 first.
A 2023 first is prolly worth a 2022 2nd in the 2022 draft. We're asking a team to appreciate it like an annuity.
If we're able to hoard it until 2023, then it has its actual 1st Round value.
Honestly, if Tua falls apart then my plan in 2022 is to get the best FA QB we can afford, and hopefully we manage the cap with all this in mind. That's where the Iggy pick shines like a diamond. A CB's gotta go to make that cap space.
I digress.

That 2023 pick is why we dont have Pitts or Chase right now, and that sacrifice will either be gold or fools gold.
TBD.

Would I have stayed at 12? Certainly.

But this isn't how Grier/Flores's board was designed. They had Waddle as the second best player in the draft after Lawrence... and while they would have been happy with one of the others, they WANTED Waddle, and they didn't think he'd make it to 12 (nor do I).

Considering THEIR desires, rather than my own, their trade is 100% sensible. They picked up two future picks and still got their guy. So bravo to them...

Would I have stayed at 12, and then maybe traded down a second time? Yes, as I've argued many times, I'll take three or four 2nd rounders over a high #1 every time. Our Front Office and myself have different agendas.

This means that a guy (me) is arguing that their logic was internally logical, even if I would have done it another way.
Man, I think Grier could sell you sand in the desert.
No Fkn Way did Miami Actually view Waddle over Pitts or Chase. They viewed Waddle and a future first round pick over Pitts and Chase, and the jury is out on how smart that actually was.

No Fkn Way did Miami Actually view Waddle over Pitts or Chase. They viewed Waddle and a future first round pick over Pitts and Chase, and the jury is out on how smart that actually was.
Heh!

If you say so.

On top of it, this investment in that future pick is 'the tell' that the Dolphins KNOW that 2021 is nothing more than another glorified 'developmental year'.

For the sake of discussion was moving up the right decision? Obviously, Grier was right about those playmakers going quickly. None of the top receivers made it out of the top 10.

Who would have been available at #12? I assume the Eagles would have drafted Waddle or Smith at 6. Dallas likely takes Parsons at 10 instead of 12.

I love the Waddle pick. Miami desperately needed a playmaker on offense. He did cost two #1's, though.

The right move? Worth the price?
He gambled to get Pitts or Chase. He lost. Should have taken Pitts at 3.

BTW, my tone was more 'dick'sh' than it should be. Forgive the diss, please.

We had to be at 6 to land one of the top receivers on our board. Waddle was our #1 choice at WR.
Pitts, Waddle, Smith, Chase

We knew the top 2 picks would be QB's . It's pretty simple math. The great part is Waddle was our top choice and we got him at 6 and landed a future 1st rounder and 3rd rounder to go along with him.

At 12 we wouldn't have got our target player.

Just prior to the draft I was hearing alot about how much the Eagles liked/wanted Waddle. I'm not sure if he and Smith were on the board who they would have selected. So if Miami really wanted Waddle moving up may have been worth it.

Back
Top Bottom