Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6?

On paper, SF does look like team #4 in that division. Of course, not if you are listening to the Bay Area media. They are talking super bowl run.

That's what's great about the draft, though. The excitement it brings to the fan base.
I think Seattle is team #4 and I'm not sure it's even close. I think SF's secondary looks somewhat suspect but aside from that they have a really solid team.

They panicked dude. They could do a deal with Philly directly so went through SF instead. Riding it out even a couple more weeks would have yielded better compensation. Like I mentioned before NYG got a better net return from moving down in the middle of the round.

Your eliminating the FO's desire to add the piece they wanted.

You can't sit here and say that because the Eagles got a Bama WR at 12 that the same thing as drafting a Bama WR at 6.

It was pretty clear even 24 hours before the draft Waddle was going to be their guy and why shouldn't he be? He fits perfect.

Kudos to Chris Grier and Brian Flores for achieving their non-panic enducing plan.

Kudos for not landing Kadarius Toney as a primary offensive addition.

Kudos for being smart enough to not take Najee Harris at 18.

Last edited:
They panicked dude. They could do a deal with Philly directly so went through SF instead. Riding it out even a couple more weeks would have yielded better compensation. Like I mentioned before NYG got a better net return from moving down in the middle of the round.
How could they do a deal directly with Philly from 3 to 6? Or are you talking about coming up from 18? Philly wanted more draft capital moving forward, specifically an extra 1st next year because they're going to evaluate Hurts this season.

On paper, SF does look like team #4 in that division. Of course, not if you are listening to the Bay Area media. They are talking super bowl run.

That's what's great about the draft, though. The excitement it brings to the fan base.

The returning players they have on D, the offensive mind of the HC, if they are healthy I would make them favourites for the NFCW. Which will suck because we have their first and not ours this year. Got to hope that the injury bug lingers a couple of years longer there or the transaction from Jimmy G to Lance doesn't go as smoothly as they hope it will.

How could they do a deal directly with Philly from 3 to 6? Or are you talking about coming up from 18? Philly wanted more draft capital moving forward, specifically an extra 1st next year because they're going to evaluate Hurts this season.

There were reports at the time that Philly tried to trade up to 3 but it was too rich for them.

There were reports at the time that Philly tried to trade up to 3 but it was too rich for them.
Right, so you're implying they would have more draft capital by doing a direct trade with Philly but clearly it's not the case considering we were in direct conversations with both teams......unless you really feel our FO is dumb enough to take the worse deal.

For the sake of discussion was moving up the right decision? Obviously, Grier was right about those playmakers going quickly. None of the top receivers made it out of the top 10.

Who would have been available at #12? I assume the Eagles would have drafted Waddle or Smith at 6. Dallas likely takes Parsons at 10 instead of 12.

I love the Waddle pick. Miami desperately needed a playmaker on offense. He did cost two #1's, though.

The right move? Worth the price?

Lord, people need to just look at the end results from the trade. We went from #3 to #6 and gained a 1st and 3rd. Eagles didn't want to trade up neither did lions or panthers. We obviously didn't want to trade out of the top 10. The maneuver Grier pulled was the best option for us to gain draft capital and still get a playmaker we were targeting. Smith was already gone before 12 and Waddle likely would have too. Consensus was that many preferred Waddle over Smith. We traded down from #3 to #6 and gained a 1st and 3rd.

Right, so you're implying they would have more draft capital by doing a direct trade with Philly but clearly it's not the case considering we were in direct conversations with both teams......unless you really feel our FO is dumb enough to take the worse deal.

No, they wanted to drop down in the draft because the narrative at the time, if you recall was that you don't take a TE at 3 or even 3 was too high for a WR. As the process played out that narrative was pushed aside when it was clear Pitts and Chase were fully worthy of that lofty draft slot. We also traded out before Fields had had his pro day, Jones had his second one on the same day. Carolina hadn't traded for Darnold, and maybe wouldn't have if 3 had still been for sale, Denver hadn't brought in Bridgewater, there were still of course Philly, SF, Chicago and NE in the market for QBs at tat point.

If the Dolphins didn’t make the deal with the 49ers at that exact time, SF would have easily made the same deal with the Falcons. They would realize the Dolphins are not taking a QB at #3 so would get Lance at #4. Trading to #6 was the best way to get their top receiving target in Waddle plus additional compensation. The Eagles at #6, Lions at #7, Panthers at #8 and Giants at #11 would have taken either of the Bama receivers if Miami was at #12. The Eagles got lucky that the Lions and Panthers didn’t take DeVonta Smith. They also got lucky that both CBs were taken before Cowboys pick so that allowed them to trade up to #10 to draft Smith. There is way too much risk in not landing any of the top 4 receivers the Dolphins were targeting if the Dolphins had the #12 pick. There are some NFL scouts that think Waddle could be the best player from the entire draft so not surprising Miami had him #2 behind Lawrence. This was an absolutely genius trade for the Dolphins in my opinion!

Last edited:
The Dolphins trade to #12 doesn't happen without the subsequent trade to #6. It was a package deal.

I still would've waited until draft day to make a trade. The Dolphins would've fielded a lot of calls for #3. And if they liked the package then trade down to #6-10 and gotten their target.
I'm sure the Dolphins could've gotten at least a 2023 1st rounder from a trade down here.

If the Dolphins didn't find a trade they liked I would've been perfectly content to take Pitts at #3. At #6-10 either of Smith or Waddle would've been fine for me.

What's done is done. Thinking about how Waddle could be used makes me fine with this selection. The Dolphins could've gotten more, but they did the process as they felt comfortable.

My only issue is if Waddle gets used as a situational non-starter, then this becomes a bad selection and bad use of draft capital. Waddle needs to be the #1 or #2 target in this offense.

The team essentially made both deals at once which they confirmed in essence. I don’t really look at them as having paid a price to move to 6th from 12th, just accepting a price to move to 6th from 3rd.
Considering I really wanted them to trade down I love the move.
This!

The returning players they have on D, the offensive mind of the HC, if they are healthy I would make them favourites for the NFCW. Which will suck because we have their first and not ours this year. Got to hope that the injury bug lingers a couple of years longer there or the transaction from Jimmy G to Lance doesn't go as smoothly as they hope it will.
Could be. Shanahan's system on offense is one of the best, if not the best, in the NFL.

Jimmy G., starting the season is the fourth best quarterback in that division, though. Plus, I do think SF will miss Robert Saleh.

Wait, so the "SF" in your name doesn't mean Super Friends?!?!?!?!?!?

Kidding ... kidding ... kidding ............ wonder-twin powers ACTIVATE ... still kidding ... but digging the SuperFriends anyway ..... OK maybe I knew it meant San Fran ... but this is way more fun.
Nah, it's super fan!

There's simply no evidence of that and there never will be any, at least until long after everyone involved in building the board is retired. The only thing we know for sure because it came out of Grier's mouth was that they were comfortable taking any one of 4 players with their first pick. Anything else is just hearsay.
And unless I am missing something, your assumption that it was one of the four pass catchers is conjecture... so?

Back
Top Bottom