Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Grier Make the Right Choice Trading from 12 to 6?

We will see, but for the heck of it here goes. Dolphins used a 1st to go from 12 to 6.....

Now, let's say we stayed at 12.....Eagles traded up from 12 to 10 using a 3rd, so let's say we did that using that 2022 49er 3rd and got Devonta Smith just like the Eagles did.

Now, the Giants traded 11 to the Bears for 20 and a 2022 1st....so we use pick 18 and the same 2022 1st we used in the 12 to 6 trade. With pick 11 we take Micah Parsons

Waddle and Phillips
Versus
Smith and Parsons

Interesting and well thought out, but I prefer what we did and the way we did it.

Considering how quickly the Eagles deal happened, I think it's obvious that the Phins wouldn't have moved out of #3 if they didn't already have that deal in place to go back up. So I don't think staying at #12 was ever an option.

But for the sake of argument, if you wanted one of the top 4 receivers, then yes it was absolutely the right choice. The Eagles, Lions, Panthers, and Giants were all potential landing spots for the last two receivers once Pitts and Chase were off the board. Staying at 12 nearly guarantees you miss out. You can't look at the picks now and say, "oh look, the Lions and Panthers didn't go receiver, so the Phins could've just traded up over the Giants." The Lions and Panthers COULD have taken a receiver at their spots. Grier can't know what their boards looked like.

Even with the hindsight of how to board fell, you can't assume it would've gone the same way if the Phins stayed at #12. Maybe the Lions or Panthers had Waddle graded higher than Sewell or Horn, and so if the Eagles take Smith at #6, maybe one of them takes Waddle. Or maybe if the Rodgers news doesn't break, the Broncos take a QB. Then the Cowboys don't want to trade out because they get their target in Surtain. Then the Giants take the last receiver right in front of us.

The only guarantee going in was that the top three picks were QBs. So if you wanted one of the top four receivers, you needed to be at #6 or #7 to guarantee one of them.
This is right on point. Can you imagine if we just stayed at 12 and missed on all the big 4 playmakers. This place would have gone nuclear. Looking at how the first 11 picks played out now is worthless because if we hadn’t picked Waddle at 6 more than likely everything would have changed.

Id love to negotiate with those that think grier got good value for dropping 3 spots out of the top 3. We ended up not even getting another pick in the 2021 or the 2022 draft from it because we moved up in 8 spots in the second round and used the third rounder from the trade back haha that third rounder was so valubable that we didnt even get another player with it. It was used to move up in the second round.

Id love to negotiate with those that think grier got good value for dropping 3 spots out of the top 3. We ended up not even getting another pick in the 2021 or the 2022 draft from it because we moved up in 8 spots in the second round and used the third rounder from the trade back haha

I'd love for you to argue with Grier about it too.

Look I think Grier had a good draft. But the value of that trade can be scrutinized heavily.

Not really. Each trade benefited the team differently in that moment. Trying to coldly break it down after the fact with little to no insight is kind of irresponsible and down right petty.

Miami did all their homework and made the decision that best fit their needs. These FO's aren't dealing with absolutes. They are dealing in misinformation, speculation and projection. Taking all that info after it plays out to re-construct seems like an exercise in futility.

That Grier sucks.
The other question I wonder is where exactly how other teams had their WR's ranked. Philly for instance could have had Smith ahead of Waddle, and we could have ended up in a scenario where trading down to 8 we end up with none of the top 4 targets.

Id love to negotiate with those that think grier got good value for dropping 3 spots out of the top 3. We ended up not even getting another pick in the 2021 or the 2022 draft from it because we moved up in 8 spots in the second round and used the third rounder from the trade back haha that third rounder was so valubable that we didnt even get another player with it. It was used to move up in the second round.

we were taking Waddle at 3 either way. Anything extra was icing on the cake. We got an extra 1st in 2022 and essentially traded our 1st with SF first. I imagine SF first is much higher than ours. There’s a very good chance SF picks are in the the top 10 the next few years.

The other question I wonder is where exactly how other teams had their WR's ranked. Philly for instance could have had Smith ahead of Waddle, and we could have ended up in a scenario where trading down to 8 we end up with none of the top 4 targets.
That's what makes the draft fun. Some take it too seriously.

Not really. Each trade benefited the team differently in that moment. Trying to coldly break it down after the fact with little to no insight is kind of irresponsible and down right petty.

Miami did all their homework and made the decision that best fit their needs. These FO's aren't dealing with absolutes. They are dealing in misinformation, speculation and projection. Taking all that info after it plays out to re-construct seems like an exercise in futility.
"Coldy break it down"....I'm not sure what that even means or implies. There is no "after the fact" here. I didnt like the value from the get go. I mentioned it on here multiple times before the draft. Sorry my opinion over the lack of value we received has seemed to upset you.

Back
Top Bottom