Did Saban Contradict himself? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Saban Contradict himself?

To me when you pick #2 in the draft ,you can pick BPA and for need at the
same time.When you pick middle of /or low in the round like we have for
the last several years,BPA is the way to go.

landshark44 said:
you mean fletcher?

yes but shhhhhhhi edited it, damn losing an hour daylight savings im all tired, haha...

but i agree with at number 2 especially in this draft you can get BPA and for need for us... we happen to need a RB and an RB is at the top of most draft boards... sounds like a pretty easy pick to me...

landshark44 said:
The other day saban made an analogy of his approach to scouting players. It was something to the effect of having a list when you go to the supermarket. He made the point that you don't buy more ketchup when you have ketchup, when it is mustard that you really need.

just after that he said that he thinks that it would be a mistake to draft a player based on a team need, and he thinks that he should take the best available player.

Did I misunderstand him? Or did he contradict himself with these two statements?

One was referring to the #2 pick only, as it is a rare pick you'll seldom if ever make, the other was referring to drafting in general I think.

arsenal said:
whether you draft for need or supposed BPA its a crap shoot... everyone talks about our drafts of fletcher instead of brees and moore instead of boldin... but both of those was a BPA situation, not need... fletcher was thought of as a mid to late first rounder and thats where we took him though we didn't need a CB at the time with madison and surtain both still relatively young... and moore we had a LB core already in place and actually needed another WR but we took moore thinking he was BPA...

That actually wasn't the case. Speilman had Fletcher rated as a 3rd rounder and wanted to draft Brees with the pick. He had Eddie Moore as a 4th rounder and wanted Boldin or Calico with that pick. Wanny simply overruled and reached in both instances.

landshark44 said:
The other day saban made an analogy of his approach to scouting players. It was something to the effect of having a list when you go to the supermarket. He made the point that you don't buy more ketchup when you have ketchup, when it is mustard that you really need.

just after that he said that he thinks that it would be a mistake to draft a player based on a team need, and he thinks that he should take the best available player.

Did I misunderstand him? Or did he contradict himself with these two statements?

:shakeno: oh please.....

Muck said:
That actually wasn't the case. Speilman had Fletcher rated as a 3rd rounder and wanted to draft Brees with the pick. He had Eddie Moore as a 4th rounder and wanted Boldin or Calico with that pick. Wanny simply overruled and reached in both instances.

yes but not based on need ,based on who he thought was BPA...

BPA isn't a consensus ever... and especially this year, BPA this draft you might get 10 different answers for number 1, so whos BPA at number 2? this years a crapshoot either way, i guess it makes it more interesting though...

I think Saban wants people to believe he would take Smith or Rogers at #2, so he may be able to trade down. I would love to see a trade with Cleveland at #3 and get their second round pick. I doubt it would happen, but then we could take Brown at #3, and a DT/WR/QB in the second round.

One thing that might speed up the process of a possible trade is if SF comes to a deal with their first round pick before the draft, I don't see that happening however as I think they are going to wait until draft day to see if they can possibly trade down.

why is everyone always looking for ways to catch our guys in something... Saban is the man people.... just let him do his thing...

It's called "coachspeak" sounds like alot but nothing is said. Keep them wondering Saban.

Muck said:

Another example of speilman's eye for talent and value..he was over ruled a lot in Wanny's needs day. Last year he was changing the team for the better, it may have been rocky, but he was headed in the right direction, just didn't get all the players he was aiming for. And yes he also, satisfied Wanny's wishes.

Now you bring up Spielman, I think we should keep him, not give him ANY desicion making responsabilities, but keep him at some scouting position, he is kinda good at that.

how do we know that he wanted brees over fletcher? is it common knowledge that wanny overruled him? i know i didn't know. I didn't know eddy moore was wanny's pick either....

Back
Top Bottom