Did Tampa Bay really ever want Alex Smith? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did Tampa Bay really ever want Alex Smith?

SkapePhin

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I think Gruden was trying to fake out Saban who was trying to fake out everyone. Gruden, imo, really wanted Brown, because they knew they wouldnt need to trade up for Caddy. If TB wanted Smith, they would have traded with SF, not us..

What does everyone else think?

you know i been trying to think of what was going on with all the smokescreens and ****... and i think in the end saban was looking to maybe trade with cleveland only and make it seem like the 2 people on the top of their board, smith and braylon we were interested in... cause i htink in the end he wanted brown from the jump and only was gonna trade with cleveland being afraid if he went bast chicago they MIGHT have taken brown...

i dont know wish there was a reality show or something with the behind the scenes of the draft, haha

SkapePhin said:
I think Gruden was trying to fake out Saban who was trying to fake out everyone. Gruden, imo, really wanted Brown, because they knew they wouldnt need to trade up for Caddy. If TB wanted Smith, they would have traded with SF, not us..

What does everyone else think?

I think Gruden wanted a RB, plain and simple.

Granted, with his hands, Brown would've been the perfect back for them catching passes in the flats. But Gruden LOVED Carnell. He said that he has the biggest heart of any football player he's ever seen. He coached him in the SB, and liked his elusiveness.

If Brown was on the board when he picked, he would've taken Ronnie, but he was definitely not disappointed to get Williams.

Dudeman said:
I think Gruden wanted a RB, plain and simple.

Granted, with his hands, Brown would've been the perfect back for them catching passes in the flats. But Gruden LOVED Carnell. He said that he has the biggest heart of any football player he's ever seen. He coached him in the SB, and liked his elusiveness.

If Brown was on the board when he picked, he would've taken Ronnie, but he was definitely not disappointed to get Williams.

Ya I remember him gushing about Caddy in the Senior Bowl.. Im just wondering what the trade up talks were for.. It is possible they wanted Smith since they eventually traded for Luke McCown.. but I think the plan to move to 2 was to take Brown, who Gruden also gushed over..

Tampa did draft Kyle Orton so maybe they were...

who knows.... i wish we could find out what offers (if any ) were made for the 2nd pick.....

They traded for McCown which makes me think Simms is on the market. Don't know who he'll go to, but my best guess would be possibly Indianapolis.

Jaj said:
They traded for McCown which makes me think Simms is on the market. Don't know who he'll go to, but my best guess would be possibly Indianapolis.

nobody is gonna trade for a QB that has shown little development and only has one year left on his deal. He's an RFA next year, but he's shown little development in Gruden's system, and it seems Jon has given up on him, so why would any other team want him?

as for Indy....no way

they drafted Sorgi last year to backup Peyton, and Tom Moore has been impressed with him, so there'd be no room for him there.

My guess is that he just wallows away on Tampa's bench next year, and they let him go without a tender next year. McCown is more mobile, and has a rifle, so he fits Gruden well.

Griese threw for 70% last year, so he's the unquestioned starter at least for this season

Tampa drafted Alex Smith. So, I would say that they were interested.

Alex Smith, TE, Stanford

Back
Top Bottom