Did the defense actually play OK ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the defense actually play OK ?

I thought the defense played fair for 3+ quarters. It wasn’t by any means a stellar performance, but considering what they allowed a Baltimore to do to them the previous week it was a noticeable improvement.

The one thing that really irritated me was, on multiple 3rd and very long occasions, they only rushed 3 and allowed Brady plenty of time to complete easy passes for 1st downs.

I hate that prevent tactic. I’d rather see them give up the 1st down (or a big play) being aggressive than passive. Whenever the Pats had the Dolphins on the wrong side of down and distance, they typically brought pressure.

That’s how it should be done.

Bellichick was toying with them. Felt like he was just trying to run the clock out the whole game. I thought it was funny after Rosen came in and started throwing deep balls, Pats got pissed and it was obvious. Their offense came back on and embarrassed the defense on their last td drive.

Bellichick was toying with them. Felt like he was just trying to run the clock out the whole game. I thought it was funny after Rosen came in and started throwing deep balls, Pats got pissed and it was obvious. Their offense came back on and embarrassed the defense on their last td drive.
Toying with them, or just being smart?

The Pats are on another SB quest. BB is not going to show future teams anything he doesn't have to, when the game is already won.

Defense was fine. The time of possession was heavily in the patriots favor. We had four turnovers, and the offense gave the pats 14 free points. There was solid pass rush and there weren’t as many backbreaking plays like we had vs the Ravens last week. It was all on the offense today. Not saying the D was good, but they had no shot. Can’t be on the field that long and have a -3 turnover differential and beat the pats.

3 significant factors. TOs, TOP, and Rowe. Not saying the D is top 5, but those had as much affect on the score as the players.

3 significant factors. TOs, TOP, and Rowe. Not saying the D is top 5, but those had as much affect on the score as the players.
Despite the score, the defense played a lot better than week 1.

TOP isn't going to get much better until our O-line plays as a unit. Maybe later in the year, maybe not.

Turnovers? That's not likely to change until we change QBs.

Rowe is not good, but we don't really have many options there, at this time. I'm confident that will be addressed in the off season.

and the Patriots had a commanding lead the entire game and were not in any hurry to score more.

Brady and the Patriots did coast through the game... they played as if this were no more than a scrimmage … if anyone thinks our defense looked better they are being fooled … the Patriots saw no reason to do anything more than put certain packages in and "practice" the drill for their next challenge ....

It looked like they were happy to control the clock, wear down our youth and inexperience and never look back … they could have put more points on the board but somewhere in the 3rd qtr. (I think) the Patriots had more time of possession than we had yards earned on offense … so there's that … why would they even consider showing more of their hand than needed?

Brady and the Patriots did coast through the game... they played as if this were no more than a scrimmage … if anyone thinks our defense looked better they are being fooled … the Patriots saw no reason to do anything more than put certain packages in and "practice" the drill for their next challenge ....

It looked like they were happy to control the clock, wear down our youth and inexperience and never look back … they could have put more points on the board but somewhere in the 3rd qtr. (I think) the Patriots had more time of possession than we had yards earned on offense … so there's that … why would they even consider showing more of their hand than needed?
I completely agree.

The pass rush was actually impressive though the patriots had a few injuries on their o-line. Brady got hit a bunch of times. Eric Rowe was abysmal. Xavien Howard did his thing and was very close to a pick but he gave up a bad first down with the game in reach by playing way too off his man though the coverage may have been blown by the safety who did not get to his spot. Defense did give up a long 3 and 17 with the game still close I think 10-0 or 7-0. After giving up that 3rd and 17 everything went down hill.

This team is bad enough that the only real solace you can derive from watching is in the performance of individual players. The defense wasn't great but Minkah played much better than week ago and Howard continues to look like an elite corner. Baker and Wilkens flashed a couple times even if the overall play was poor.

With Tunsil and Stills both on the team, does anyone think this game ends closer to something like 24-14?

I think that's possible from what I've read so far and if so that gives me some hope.

We had to make that deal with Houston offering draft capital bordering on franchise QB type compensation.... for a very good left tackle and an OK receiver?

Yes it may have made a portion of the locker room "revolt" and yes it may mean we continue to get embarrassed this year... I understand all that and can see why those facts alone are enough to have some people extremely upset...
Tunsil did not play well yesterday against the Jags. There were several derisive comments about the amount they gave up vs Tunsil's performance.

They played okay, much better than last week. We need to get rid of Eric Rowe. He might be the worst corner I’ve ever seen play for Miami which is saying a lot as we’ve had some real bad ones throughout the years. X going to waste away if their #2 wr gets open every time. Corner has to be taken with one of our 1-3rd rounds next. Either that or wait until 2021 and try for Pat Surtain II but he’s probably going top 5, would be cool to grab him though.

Compared to last week the defense played better. That doesn't mean they played well. By the 2nd half tho they were just tired of being out on the field.

Back
Top Bottom