Did the Dolphins make an all-time franchise mistake? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Dolphins make an all-time franchise mistake?

Landry made this very difficult. From all accounts he wasnt being reasonable.

1) Fins offered 13M per long term and he refused.
2) Landry refused every other long term deal offered to him, and straight up did not want to go to Cleveland who offered him a competitive long term deal.
3) Now this is what the best offer they got looked like. a 4th and a 7th for a player who is on a 1 year contract worth 16M.

Now you could make a point about trading him before the dead line. But since that boat has passed, what did you guys expect to happen? Landry's demands long term were out of whack, so they tagged him to try and get better value than the comp pick... They could have, some teams offered up to a 1st round pick for him BUT LANDRY refused every offers he got... The Fins cannot force Landry to sign a long term deal and Landry on a 1 year 16M deal is not worth much more than a bag of peanuts.

The play was to trade him at the dead line... Since then, I put has much blame on Landry and his agent than I do on the Fins... Simple as that, Landry screwed himself and now he's stuck in Cleveland, where he doesnt want to be....

Depends on whether or not the picks are used to move up for a QB. That's now all I care about. Anything else they do in the draft and I'll hate it.

If they plan on patching holes and going for it this season, then yes -- stupidity. If that's the plan you don't trade your ONLY consistent performer on offense.

Where the hell do you think pick 123 and a 7 is gonna get you moving up?

It wouldn’t even get you to 10 from 11

NO. 8.8 yards a catch 5.6% TD to catch Ratio. Top 5 receivers average well over double. You can do much more with 15 Million than RB catching averages. Problem with Dolphin fans is most think our players are better than they are. This is a below average receiver who got force fed the football. A lot of passion but he is what he is.
People fail to realize that we had a poor system last year , and has alot to do with 8.8. Too many short passes due to the worst OL past 2 years. Landry will turn that around real easy.

He makes your team better. A coach has to have the ability to coach brash overconfident alphas and get them to buy in. That to me is a bad sign for Gase. That being said, he’s just a slot receiver, as someone said, one player doesn’t change much unless it’s a quarterback. Landry was not a player in a significant football position. He wasn’t worth more than 13 million just to move the chains as a slot receiver. He will do well. He will move the chains. So will the next guy we bring in for less. That’s the business. He wanted to get paid more than he was worth, good luck with that. See ya.

It is definitely a tough pill to swallow.

Phins fans are a lot more alike with our front office than they would like to admit.

The Dolphins made an all-time franchise mistake by forcing a Slot Receiver to be the focal point of an offense. They tried so hard and the experiment failed historically. Poor offensive production at every level.

Ozzy Sucks!!!

If Tannenbaum’s moves can’t get us to six wins next year, then he needs to be fired. Tannenbaum doesn’t seem to have any plan in keeping and growing players, like successful franchises do like the Green Bay Packers. I have no idea what he is doing, but it is what it is.

I'd rank passing on Randy Moss, passing on Drew Brees twice, passing on Aaron Rodgers, or refusing to upgrade from Jay Fiedler higher. I'd even rank passing on Dez Bryant higher.

Edit: I'll also throw in not getting rid of Shula and wasting the back end of Marino's best years. I'm sure that will upset some people.

Last edited:
I'd rank passing on Randy Moss, passing on Drew Brees twice, passing on Aaron Rodgers, or refusing to upgrade from Jay Fiedler higher. I'd even rank passing on Dez Bryant higher.
We never passed on Randy Moss. Never

No mIstake in trading him or not resigning him due to contract demands. But in IMO, the mistake was how it was all handled over the past few seasons. They had better offers for him in season last year. Landry is as a volatile personality as they come, I won’t miss his boneheaded actions on the field. Landry gave his all inspite of his silly antics. Tannenbaum is the mistake, a mistake that keeps on giving.

People fail to realize that we had a poor system last year , and has alot to do with 8.8. Too many short passes due to the worst OL past 2 years. Landry will turn that around real easy.

Last year? His career stats are very similar. 6.25 Catches per game for 64 yards and .33 TD’s per game, including 2 seasons where he lined up outside due to injuries. He can be replaced we force fed him the ball.

Back
Top Bottom