Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did The Dolphins Really Need To Add A Quarterback?

So if Tannehill goes down again, you like the idea of Fales & Osweiller?
I don't like any of the options available to us if he goes down.

That includes any of the 4 overrated QBs that went before 11, and any of the marginal batch that went after.

It's Ryan or bust in 2018, regardless of whether we wasted any picks on a QB.

I liked the guy Dallas drafted in Mike White.
An alum had some solid reasoning why he "struggled" his senior year in that 3 linemen graduated along with the RB/injuries there.

Thought someone like him or Falk could of been a decent selection in day 3. Oh well. See how T-Hill does this year and reevaluate.

Well in the 1st and 2nd rounds we definitely chose BPA who fits what we were looking for and at a position of need. We could not have done any better. Those were homerun picks.

I'm not a fan of developmental QB's ... many many many are taken every year, and while there have been occasional success stories, they are an extremely small percentage return for the draft pick after the 2nd round. I'm much happier taking a flier on a OL, WR, RB, LB or DB in those rounds, and certain DL prospects too (like Maurice Hurst who fell because of medical and Andrew Brown who is underrated). QB's rarely become anything but journeymen after the 2nd round ... and you can get those without drafting them.

IMHO, don't waste a draft pick on a developmental QB. Get positions that can contribute in their rookie contracts.

If Tannehill plays great then the Dolphins will be in the playoffs in 2018. If Tannehill goes down again then the Dolphins will most likely have a top 10 pick in 2019. The Dolphins weren't getting Mayfield, Darnold or Allen. They apparently didn't like Rosen that much. A 3rd round rookie QB won't move the needle much over Osweiler or Fales to take the team to the playoffs in 2018.

Maybe they draft a developmentally QB in the '19 draft. Obviously they didn't like any of the QBs in this draft that they had a serious shot at drafting. Doesn't matter what Greg Cote or Mel Kiper Jr has to say.

No, the phins didn't really really need a new QB. It would've been nice but Tannehill could be fine and there were plenty of other more immediate needs. No sense giving away value when you don't have to. And realistically they only could have traded up for Josh Allen or Josh Rosen. The Browns Giants and Jets weren't trading out of their spots.

Tannehill has never had competition for his job. Matt Moore spent most of his time holding a clipboard and working on his tan. What's his competition this year, Brock Osweiler? I suppose he got paid a few years back, but he's failed time and again to prove he is a legitimate starter in this league. So yes, Tannehill has had it easy because he's never been pushed or had to fight for his job. It got given to him on a platter and it's remained that way ever since.

Now obviously he's taken blows, but that's a different matter entirely.

A former 2nd round pick isn't completion but a third round pick would be? Where's the logic in that?

Well in the 1st and 2nd rounds we definitely chose BPA who fits what we were looking for and at a position of need. We could not have done any better. Those were homerun picks.

I'm not a fan of developmental QB's ... many many many are taken every year, and while there have been occasional success stories, they are an extremely small percentage return for the draft pick after the 2nd round. I'm much happier taking a flier on a OL, WR, RB, LB or DB in those rounds, and certain DL prospects too (like Maurice Hurst who fell because of medical and Andrew Brown who is underrated). QB's rarely become anything but journeymen after the 2nd round ... and you can get those without drafting them.

IMHO, don't waste a draft pick on a developmental QB. Get positions that can contribute in their rookie contracts.

None of the writers who clamor for the QB care to mention the 1 in 50 odds of landing one that is any good. Greg Cote actually seems to promote the approach the Bills and Jets have taken over the last decade. JP Losman and Mark Sanchez baby! Yeah!

Sounds like a whiny child. Johnny got a new QB, I want one TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

FWIW, I believe the team did plan to take a developmental quarterback late. They wanted Alex McGough, the kid from FIU. I based that on some things certain people I know have said, as well as the fact that the team met with him more than once, including right before the draft. I think the plan was to grab him at the tail end of the draft, but Seattle swooped in to grab him.

And he would have been a great guy to take a flier on late in the draft. I saw enough of him this year to think he's got upside for quality backup. Gritty guy with leadership attributes.

FIU had a great season in 2017 -- really kind of a huge leap for the program -- and while obviously Butch Davis deserves the overwhelming majority of the credit for that, McGough's play was a big part of it. Watch what happened in their bowl game and see how badly the team fell apart without McGough. They never had a chance.

Would like to have seen a developmental QB taken, but not enough to be disappointed it didn't happen. We have a starting QB and a backup QB already on the roster.....I'd much rather improve this defense (especially linebacker) and grab the two Tight Ends that we drafted.....very happy the way it worked out.

Reactions: BSQ
Once the Tannehill restructuring happened, it should of been painted in BRIGHT BOLD letters...HE'S OUR GUY.

And using a 3rd or 4th on anything outside of making the personnel around him better, would be a waste. Which is why, I wanted 2x TEs and a Guard. While I'm not sold on Tannehill, I want a foundation built to support a QB investment in the out years from Tannehill. Specifically 2020.

That's fine if Tannehill is the plan, but if his knee gets out of whack or he doesn't play well i absolutely do not want to hear any of it; Everyone needs to go in that scenario. This front office and coaching staff has had 3 drafts to find someone worth developing behind Tannehill in the draft and have been reluctant to invest a meaningful pick.

This was the time to give Tannehill legitimate competition to prove he deserves to still be our guy. Like the Chiefs did to Alex Smith by drafting Mahomes. It made him play better and had he lifted a Super Bowl with them he would still be their quarterback.

We pretty much handed Tannehill the job and have never really pushed him. Moore was happy as a backup. So Tannehill has had it easy and once again he'll have it easy. I could understand it if he got us to the play offs as a rookie, but to date he's done nothing to warrant undisputed status on this roster.

Had Rosen fallen to us I'd have been tempted but probably would have still taken Fitzpatrick. However, I would have drafted Mason Rudolph when he was available in the third. He's someone who we could have picked and developed, and he sounds like someone that would have been fired up to prove he deserves to be a starter as well, and not just happy to hold a clipboard and work on his tan.
Post of the year!

FWIW, I believe the team did plan to take a developmental quarterback late. They wanted Alex McGough, the kid from FIU. I based that on some things certain people I know have said, as well as the fact that the team met with him more than once, including right before the draft. I think the plan was to grab him at the tail end of the draft, but Seattle swooped in to grab him.

And he would have been a great guy to take a flier on late in the draft. I saw enough of him this year to think he's got upside for quality backup. Gritty guy with leadership attributes.

FIU had a great season in 2017 -- really kind of a huge leap for the program -- and while obviously Butch Davis deserves the overwhelming majority of the credit for that, McGough's play was a big part of it. Watch what happened in their bowl game and see how badly the team fell apart without McGough. They never had a chance.

I doubt he makes Seattle's 53 man roster so if you really want him you could steal him off a practice squad.

Cote makes some good points and support others with selective reasoning. Many of the QBs he listed, started for the Phins due to injuries and were never meant to be franchise QBs, so that stat is misleading.
For the record I personally believe that Mayfield and Rosen have the best chances to be pretty good QBs.
Darnold doesn’t strike me as a quick thinking, sharp guy and I think he will be an average QB. Josh Allen while physically gifted doesn’t seem to have the intangibles to be consistently good, especially against smart, well coached defenses.
I have always stated that RT is not part of the problem, but also not the solution. I believe with a good supporting cast he can be as good or better than a Trent Dilfer or Nick Foles. However, he will never be able to put this team on his shoulders and will them to victory. I think that much is clear after watching him the last 6 yrs.
He has a good stable of running backs, WRs and TEs and now what looks to be a very solid O line. He has no excuses this season.
The national media thinks very little of him and that is why the phins are near the bottom of the power rankings. Don’t kid yourselves otherwise. For his sake, I hope he comes in to camp with a big chip on his shoulder and burning desire to shut his critics up.

Back
Top Bottom