Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades?

If we traded Tunsil 2 years ago for 2 future first round picks than wasn't our 3rd pick in this draft from Houston only worth around 300 points since we got that pick 2 years ago?
Future 1st round picks one year out are worth less and future 1st round picks two years out are worth even less. And then obviously the record of the team that year will effect the value too. No one expected Houston to be that bad last year.

The draft pick value charts are for trading draft picks for other draft picks to get an idea of their relative values. Tunsil was a player when he was traded and not a draft pick and thus that trade can't be valued in draft points.

I would infer from that information that the FO considers this year and 2023 more important for teambuilding, so I anticipate the team this year and next year is likely to be focused on not just winning, but making the playoffs. This would increase the trade value of those players who will be expecting a payday or free agency, which may increase our draft capital and certainly increase our need for more good players.

The 2021 draft strength seems to be set for evening up the teams strength across the board.
The 2022 draft is still better then normal.
The 2023 draft strength seems to be our safety net for upcoming player loss.

The more I look at how the Front Office is functioning in all aspects of its responsibility i.e. the draft, cap space and player selection, the higher my opinion of their actions grows and the lower my opinion of the "Lemmings" on this board grows.

Keep in mind that every single draft pick is a gamble. You don't know what you can get. Any particular pick can be a jackpot. So you *could* strike it rich.

The only reason I can think to kick assets down the road is if you don't feel like your team is ready now and there is a future window somewhere else. Otherwise, you build for a team now.

In any case, walk into a bank and make them the "future assets are worth the same as current" argument and see if they'll give you a 0% loan.

The bank doesn't run on a "cap" system like the NFL.

Your comparison is bogus!

History is NOT a viable trade commodity. Never has been.

Picks are VALUED relative to position (in a sequence) + time value.

The "future" is discounted --------------- FYI that's why folks pay interest!

NO FOOL is going to lend you $100K today and only expect $100k in 10 years.

You're going to pay "interest" to compensate for the time value.

Like I said. It's extremely simple.

Tell that to the Stock Market - LOL

Future 1st round picks one year out are worth less and future 1st round picks two years out are worth even less.

Why, because someone a long time ago said so?

I’d argue that the value is dynamic. Dependent upon the belief of how strong the particular draft is expected to be.

For example, last April there very well could have been a team or more that valued picks in the 2021 draft more. Because Trevor Lawrence was likely to be part of it. Or maybe because they expected the talent at the top to be stronger.

There are plenty of reasons why this may not always be true. And each org can see things differently.

Boy some people just aren't satisfied in life unless they got something to bitch about

The only problem with pick 6 is that you have a very good chance to lose out on both Chase and Pitts...the top 2 offensive playmakers. Only time will tell.
how does anybody know.. you can argue all day long who will have the better career.. Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts.. if i knew i'd be employed as a scout or better yet, a highly paid GM.. lol. i'm fine with anyone of these guys PLUS extra picks in the futurre

...didn't realize we had so many flat earthers here!

So let me ask you -- why doesn't a smart GM who has significant immediate needs

trade future picks -- for example his entire 2028 draft -- for another teams entire 2021 draft!

Why ????? is that not a legit possibility?

Why would any GM who accepts that offer be immediately terminated?

Here's a hint. There's a significant difference between present value and future value.

Now here's another hint. This decision is being made in the "here and now," which means

value is assessed in PRESENT DAY TERMS. No one is going to deliberately defer present value

UNLESS they are compensated for that LOSS in time.

Last edited:
...didn't realize we had so many flat earthers here!

So let me ask you -- why doesn't a smart GM who has significant immediate needs

trade future picks -- for example his entire 2028 draft -- for another teams entire 2021 draft!

Why ????? is that not a legit possibility?

Why would any GM who accepts that offer be immediately terminated?

Here's a hint. There's a significant difference between present value and future value.

Now here's another hint. This decision is being made in the "here and now," which means

value is assessed in PRESENT DAY TERMS. No one is going to deliberately defer present value

UNLESS they are compensated for the time value.
What’s the risk-free rate on draft picks? I need it to properly build my DCF model

Maybe.. Pitts looks to be that good..

If the jets take him I’ll feel a lot better

Back
Top Bottom