Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades?

This is a stupid graphic.

8 of the picks listed are the ones the Dolphins get from being a team in the National Football League.
It also doesn't show the 2022 1st rounder that the Dolphins traded to the Eagles. It also doesn't show the 2021 4th rounder the Dolphins also traded to the Eagles.

This isn't a good representation of the trades that just happened.

8 of the picks listed are the ones the Dolphins get from being a team in the National Football League.
It also doesn't show the 2022 1st rounder that the Dolphins traded to the Eagles. It also doesn't show the 2021 4th rounder the Dolphins also traded to the Eagles.

Cool! Why don’t you put up the other 31 teams as a comparison?

Didn't say it was a graphic on the trade.

Also seeing a bunch of hand wringing about the falcons picking an offensive weapon before us. How long have the falcons been stacked with weapons and still struggled? I kinda doubt they’re gonna keep going down that route

Also seeing a bunch of hand wringing about the falcons picking an offensive weapon before us. How long have the falcons been stacked with weapons and still struggled? I kinda doubt they’re gonna keep going down that route
They need defense long before they need a TE.

Cool! Why don’t you put up the other 31 teams as a comparison?
Why would I? We're talking a pair of trades the Dolphins made. It's not my responsibility to do a rundown of the entire league.

Here's the trade:

Miami (outgoing):
2021 Round 1 Pick 3 (-2200 pts)
2021 Round 4 Pick 123 (-49 pts)
2022 Round 1 (-400 pts)

Miami (incoming):
2021 Round 1 Pick 6 (from PHI) (+1600 pts)
2021 Round 5 Pick 156 (from PHI) (+27.4 pts)
2022 Round 1 (from SF) (+470 pts)
2022 Round 3 (from SF) (+60 pts)
2023 Round 1 (from SF) (+210 pts)

Approx value (future picks being equivalent to this years but one round lower):
Outgoing 2649 vs Incoming 2367.4

Obviously approx value isn't a be all or end all, but the Dolphins aren't showing a net gain to me and probably a net loss.

They are fine with the multitude of talent still available at 6 in order to pick up the extra draft capital. I don't want them to, but I would not be surprised at all if the selected Sewell at 6 if he is still there.

The only problem with pick 6 is that you have a very good chance to lose out on both Chase and Pitts...the top 2 offensive playmakers. Only time will tell.
I think they will be happy with Pitts, any of the top three WR’s or even Sewell. So unless the top three teams decide to bypass picking QB’s and draft WR’s, Pitts, or Sewell, I imagine the Dolphins are going to end up drafting a player they will be very happy to see on the board at 6.

Losing out on Pitts and Chase and still having a pick of Smith, Waddle, or Sewell is certainly not a loss in my opinion.

I would have stayed at 12 and drafted one of these guys

1 Lawrence
2 Fields
3 Wilson
4 Sewell
5 Smith
6 Chase
7 Waddle
8 Pitts
9 Parsons
10 Surtain
11 Horn
12 Slater

Agree those are the top guys. I do think Miami wants Pitts/WR or maybe Sewell/Slater. While Surtain and Horn belong in that group, I don't know that Miami could have pulled the trigger on a CB at 1a.

I think they will be happy with Pitts, any of the top three WR’s or even Sewell. So unless the top three teams decide to bypass picking QB’s and draft WR’s, Pitts, or Sewell, I imagine the Dolphins are going to end up drafting a player they will be very happy to see on the board at 6.

Losing out on Pitts and Chase and still having a pick of Smith, Waddle, or Sewell is certainly not a loss in my opinion.
I think that is what is bothering the people who don’t like the trade. A lot of people want pitts and at 3 we def coulda had him. Now at 6 we have great choices but pitts might not make it. I honestly would be shocked if he went past the falcons.

But the trade works for Miami brain trust because they have three or four choices they are happy with . So they feel they win with any of the 3 or four players.

Why would I? We're talking a pair of trades the Dolphins made. It's not my responsibility to do a rundown of the entire league.

Here's the trade:

Miami (outgoing):
2021 Round 1 Pick 3 (-2200 pts)
2021 Round 4 Pick 123 (-49 pts)
2022 Round 1 (-400 pts)

Miami (incoming):
2021 Round 1 Pick 6 (from PHI) (+1600 pts)
2021 Round 5 Pick 156 (from PHI) (+27.4 pts)
2022 Round 1 (from SF) (+470 pts)
2022 Round 3 (from SF) (+60 pts)
2023 Round 1 (from SF) (+210 pts)

Approx value (future picks being equivalent to this years but one round lower):
Outgoing 2649 vs Incoming 2367.4

Obviously approx value isn't a be all or end all, but the Dolphins aren't showing a net gain to me and probably a net loss.

I don't really understand this conception that future picks are worth less than current picks. I get it in the sense that coaches want to win immediately, but if you're building a sustainable pattern of success, it makes a ton of sense to roll over picks to the future. If you continue doing that year after year, you always have that extra draft capital and the only real pain is the year that you first start doing it.

Granted, there is some uncertainty on future picks since you don't know exactly where they'll land, but sometimes that uncertainty benefits you (our Houston picks). I would be thrilled if Grier continues this pattern of stocking up on future picks. Are people going to be complaining in 2023 when we have that extra SF pick? It's such an instant gratification mindset.

Back
Top Bottom