Did we drop the ball on the OL for a 2nd straight year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did we drop the ball on the OL for a 2nd straight year?

Pete Prisco said that Carey was rated above Andrews on our draft board. And Carey himself said that the Phins had him on hold (on the phone) for three full picks. That means we had him on the phone at 16 or 17.

Secondly, the Eagles made a horrible move. With Welbourn traded, and Runyan and Thomas firmly entrenched as the starting tackles (and Reid saying the could play him at guard before the trade), the Eagles traded up 11 spots FOR A GUARD. That is just something you don't do. They could have simply waited and drafted Snee or Smiley.

Welbourn wanted more money than Damien Woody (who signed a record deal for a guard). Haven't looked to see what he got. But he wanted the bank. And KC already has the best guard duo in the league in Will Shields and Brian Waters. Not sure what they're up to. Perhaps they're going to cut Shields?? He's 32. But he's still among the best and has yet to miss a single game in his illustrious career.

Cool, maybe Shields can play RG for us? :)

There seems to be alot pesimistic talk about our OL this year. IMO the line will be WAY better this season. Am I missing something here?

From what I'm reading in Vermeil's PC, Welbourn isn't going to cause either of the guards to lose their jobs. He actually used the words "backup guard". Vermail talked about how Welbourn started out as a RT and moved inside when he got hurt. Said there will be lots of competition at RT. He talked about how the RT spot isn't nailed down and how Chris Bober (signed from the Giants as their RT) and LG Brian Waters can play center. He also made reference to Brett Williams at RT.

So Welbourn looks like the RT to me.

I think Carey was Ricks guy all along, remember Rick did question Andrews weight before the draft. Remember the thread about smokescreens? Maybe it wasnt a smokescreen? Some are saying that Minn bluffed us into believing that NE was going to trade uop for Carey and it was a bluff. Maybe, maybe not. Carey said that he had spoken to NE and they were interested, soo it is not out of the realm of poss that they had discussions w/ Minn knowing Carey would not make it passed us. Maybe they pushed rick into a trade. Point is Rick was aggressive in ensuring he got his guy. I think Carey has the attitude as well as teh skills to be a "Richmond Webb" on teh right side. Poole was a steal plainb and simple. Bua and the guard were projects with potential, these are the guys that will tell how well Rick judges talent.

HugeFinFan said:
Best post ever

Thanks HugeFinFan. There just seems to be so much negativity attached to anything this team does, I thought I'd throw that out.

Back
Top Bottom