Did we give up too much for Ricky? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did we give up too much for Ricky?

If you go on the first preseason performance then Danny Wuerfell (sp?) is gonna be the NFL MVP.

But for real that line has GOT to get better. Last nights performance was all about TB's Dline making our Oline look like... well our Oline. It had very little to do with Ricky.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Half the free world knew you guys were going to run the ball. Hopefully (for you) in the regular season it won’t be so obvious. TB knew Ricky was going to get the ball early and often so they played the run heavily. If it was a matter of winning, you probably could have fooled them and gone straight for the air. But I’m sure that the coaching staff just wanted to see Ricky run.

Remember I want him to gain enough yards to cost you guys another number 1 draft pick next year.

God it would be aweful if Ken Dorsey got drafted by us. He'll never take a pounding, and I'm not all that impressed with his arm either. One of those QBs helped a lot by the fact that there's a good system and a whole heck of a lot of talent surrounding him, not to mention the OL makes sure he never even gets touched.

But anyway. I disagree about Ricky's running. Yes he does well late in the game but his ypc drop in those situations just like any normal back. He gets going early and he gains yards. He sustains drives. He is not just a back that will hurt you in the 4th quarter. It just so happens that he CAN do that to you. He can hurt you in the 4th quarter and run the ball on you when you're tired and reluctant to put a hit on him, even if the line is stacked because they know we're running the ball to run out the clock.

But he can average over 4 yards a carry in the FIRST quarter. The Tampa Bay D will be very good once again this year. Sapp's returned to form...Booger, Marcus Jones both good. Brooks is back to form. (both sapp and brooks were seriously injured last year). Heck even Simeon Rice all the sudden became decent against the run and I'm still not sure how that happened. Quarles very fast. But I wouldn't be surprised all the same if Ricky took one more carry and ended the game with 6 carries for 24 yards rather than 5 for 9 yards. He's lighter and in practice he's been hittin sidelines and running outside and outright beating people.

Good Point!

Originally posted by Billsfan
I wouldn’t worry about it. Half the free world knew you guys were going to run the ball. Hopefully (for you) in the regular season it won’t be so obvious. TB knew Ricky was going to get the ball early and often so they played the run heavily. If it was a matter of winning, you probably could have fooled them and gone straight for the air. But I’m sure that the coaching staff just wanted to see Ricky run.

Remember I want him to gain enough yards to cost you guys another number 1 draft pick next year.

As I remember back in the early 90's when Norv was coordinator of the Cowboys the defense would stack to line to stop Emmitt. When they did that Aikman threw to Novichek(spelling) and Irving. When the "D" decided to stop giving up large chunks of yardage to those guys, and backed off the line, then Emmitt would take over. It worked out well, with running massive time off the clock and usually ended up with a score. My hope is the same can happen here. As long as the O-line holds up, I don't see why it can't.

:D :D :D

Well if it happened that we had to give them 2 #1's Ricky would have proven to held up his end of the bargain.

HARDNOSE RUNNING

clear.gif

Another counting game ... how many Bucs are in our backfield?

I don't believe Ricky Williams took a single loss. I don't remember one anyway but I could be wrong...

Like I said Ricky ain't the probelm is the OFFENSIVE line.......I can't wait to see Smith out of LT............

Well one sign of good news. In the goal line package we put Dixon in at Tight End to the left of Brent Smith. Nails in at LG. This could be a forewarning of a Dixon-to-LT move.

Great point SWS, there was a Cowboy game back in 94. Last game of the year playing the Giants for the division title. They were down in the 4th qtr, Emmitt had all of 50 yards. They came back to tie the game send it to overtime where they won. Emmitt ended up with about 160 yards

You always have to take whats given but the thing I liked about Norv is that he dictates more than gets dictated to, which is a big difference from Chan Gailey last year. Chan let the defense completely dictate what he does. Never really tried to throw the D off balance and then dictate to them and keep them on edge.

Originally posted by DNY
He played not to make a mistake.

I don't see that.....TB knew what you guys were going to do.....RW will be fine. I don't care who your running back is, If you say, "We're running" They're going to stop you. and that's basically what you did.

Back
Top Bottom