Did we give up too much for Ricky? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did we give up too much for Ricky?

Dolphinfiend

Practice Squad
Reaction score
When you think about potentially giving up two first rounders for a running back who is arguably injury prone, and not that explosive, it makes me wonder if we have given up too much for his services. I realize the Saints gave up their entire draft for him, but that is irrevelant to us, the Saints obviously blundered on that one. With a back like deshawn foster on the board, we could have kept our pick and had one next year and probably gotten the more explosive player. Foster's 61yd td run the other day was longer than any run in Ricky's career. I realize it is early, but last nights game really did nothing to comfort my worst fears, i have just never been impressed with ricky, at least since he's been in the nfl. The Rams gave up a freaking 2nd round pick for Marshall Faulk, and we gave up potentially 2 first rounders for Ricky Williams? I was a little more optimistic when i heard the phins were after Fred Taylor a few months ago. Yes, he is more injury prone than Williams, but there is no question he is a much better back than ricky, and would have come at a much cheaper price. Does anyone know why we gave up freddy? I seriously think that he is the best RUNNING back in the NFL. But back to ricky, i'm still holding out hope that he can become a consistant version of lamar smith from a couple years ago year in and year out. If he can do that, i will be happy, just personally i would have liked to have gone after someone more explosive and not given up picks so valuable. maybe ricky will dominate the league this year and make this post mute, but last night was not an encouraging sign at all, not at all :(

You determine this from FIRST preseason game that Bucs blits and stacked people on the line to stop Ricky.....

Ricky

Your Right.. that is what I have been telling fin fans all along

there was a reason why the Saints got rid of him.. and yea I know

it's only the first game and all that and preseason at that !!!

but I see more of that comming don't you think that other teams

are going to stack the line to Stop Mr Williams... that is a lot of

pressure to put on him , Wanny saying that he will break the

1500 yards and all that.... i'm not gloating or saying I told you

so... but you will see what I have been trying to say all along..

Ricky is not your answer fins fans he is not your answer

P.S. BUT I MAY BE WRONG...

See you on the 22nd of Sept....

;)

Originally posted by minus
You determine this from FIRST preseason game that Bucs blits and stacked people on the line to stop Ricky.....

of course not, i'm just expanding on what i saw from ricky in new orleans, barely able to avg 4 yds per carry behind a mammoth O-Line. how well is he going to perform behind our line? Obviously one preseason game is not enough to make an evaluation, but the things i was looking for, the speed, acceleration, the ability to make people miss, didn't seem much better than what it was with the Saints. He will obviously improve on his numbers from last night, but is he the franchise back that can take us to a superbowl? and he is really worth possibly TWO first round picks? we could have taken foster this year, and snagged a franchise qb next year in what projects to be the deepest qb class since 83...ricky may pile on yds, but will he need 400 carries to do it? if that is the case, a lot nfl backs could probably do similar things to ricky..i am just going to be pissed if foster turns out to be better than ricky, and we passed on a top flight qb prospect

Originally posted by Dolphinfiend

of course not, i'm just expanding on what i saw from ricky in new orleans, barely able to avg 4 yds per carry behind a mammoth O-Line. how well is he going to perform behind our line? Obviously one preseason game is not enough to make an evaluation, but the things i was looking for, the speed, acceleration, the ability to make people miss, didn't seem much better than what it was with the Saints. He will obviously improve on his numbers from last night, but is he the franchise back that can take us to a superbowl? and he is really worth possibly TWO first round picks? we could have taken foster this year, and snagged a franchise qb next year in what projects to be the deepest qb class since 83...ricky may pile on yds, but will he need 400 carries to do it? if that is the case, a lot nfl backs could probably do similar things to ricky..i am just going to be pissed if foster turns out to be better than ricky, and we passed on a top flight qb prospect

Well Ricky is a power running back ...I'm not expecting Ricky to break many long runs...I would had prefer trading for Fragile Fred but chances of him being healthy are lower than Ricky breaking a long run..Well you made a good point that he was running behind one of the best lines..The offensive is what we should worry not Ricky..Ricky will pound the hole but the question is will o-line open any?

If we have to give up a 2nd or a 1st rounder in the 2003 draft, which would mean that Ricky has a pretty good year, it would be worth it. The picks would be pretty low in their rounds anyway.

Exactly..

Originally posted by minus

...not to mention the fact that he only had 5 carries...

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
If we have to give up a 2nd or a 1st rounder in the 2003 draft, which would mean that Ricky has a pretty good year, it would be worth it. The picks would be pretty low in their rounds anyway.

I agree, but if ricky does pretty much what lamar smith did a couple years ago, is that good enough to take us to the superbowl? and if not, we gave up the chance for ken dorsey(only mentioned him because he's in your sig), or a plethora of other great qb prospects next year. I hope ricky is the answer but i'm not betting on it.

Ricky's pretty much only going to get better from here on out. He does things no back for us has done before. They stacked the line knowing damn well that with Ricky in the game we were gonna feed him the ball, and as a result it opened the passing game bigtime. Our quarterbacks ended up 15 for 21 with 172 yards, a TD and no interceptions in the first half of the game...and we would have scored 14 points if it weren't for the fact that Travis Minor's pretty green at being used between the tackles in goal line situations. Ricky is supposed to be the one with fumble problems but he definitely would not have put the ball on the ground in that situation. Minor was unprepared for that.

I think Ricky will be fine.

I don't understand why people expect Ricky to rush for 100 yds on 5 carries...He is a tank...He will be more productive as the game goes on...lets see his #s after 20+ carries...

If I saw anything that truly would bother me...it would be the run defense and Olindo hitting the upright on a chip shot 30 yarder...

Originally posted by Dolphinfiend

he is really worth possibly TWO first round picks? we could have taken foster this year, and snagged a franchise qb next year in blah, blah, blah

If we give up TWO first round picks, that means he ran for over 1500 yards this season. I don't think you'll be complaining about "coulda taken foster" if that comes to fruition.

I think we gave up too much. If you look at the other trades including Faulk, we gave up too much. With that said, I think we need to give Ricky a chance before we group him wih Lamar Smith.

I agree with 054, Ricky is the kind of back that does his damage late in games.

Originally posted by Agua

If we give up TWO first round picks, that means he ran for over 1500 yards this season. I don't think you'll be complaining about "coulda taken foster" if that comes to fruition.

If you are correct, that is a HUGE relief. we may still be in the running for our franchise qb afterall. Dan was a late round pick, perhaps lightning will strike again. The dolphin fan in me is saying that ricky is going to rush for 2000yds but when i try to put my objective hat on, i see ricky putting up comparable numbers to what he did last year. If that is the case, it will arguably be worse than lamar 2 years ago. I don't see a reason why his stats will improve behind an inferior line. On top of that, i'm not impressed with his physical skills, if you give up a first rounder for a back, you should get a back who is the complete package. Not a plowhorse without gamebreaking speed. I watched sportscenter the other day and one of the saints assistant coaches said that ricky has better ability than anyone in football to turn a 30yd gain into a 12yd gain. that really left a bitter taste in my mouth and pretty much confirmed my own suspicions from watching him play. I look at the acquisition as if we are getting lamar from two years ago, but at least we most likely keep our draft pick, that is key. we can get our franchise qb next year hopefully. here's hoping ricky gets 1499 yds. lol, just wondering..do you think the fins would take him out of the game if he was approaching 1500yds in the last game with the outcome of the game already in hand?

Who cares, if you really have a problem with him, start b*tching in Oct/Nov right now I could care less he he rushes for 10 yards on 35 carries.

Ricky is a pounder, he gets better as the game continues. I don't care how bad he looks in the preseason, all that matters is that he gets 1400 yards in the regular season. It would take 1500 yards to say bye bye to Dorsey.

Back
Top Bottom