Did We Squandered The Draft?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did We Squandered The Draft??

I had some questions about certain picks, but I'm not being paid to build a team. I said I'd be happy if they got Tua and stacked the trenches this offseason; they may not have drafted players I wanted in the trenches, but I've decided to have faith in these guys. Flores took the Bad News Bears into New England and won in Week 17, so I ride with him.

I really don’t think you can judge a draft for at least three years. Anyone who thinks they can judge a draft before any of the players have even played a down in the NFL is merely someone who doesn’t have a clue to begin with.

If Tua can stay healthy, I can't see a better way to start the draft.

There were surprising picks and I might have done a few things differently, but you can't really argue with the scheme fits.

Hunt seemed high, but if he can nail down the right tackle spot that is huge.

I'd call this a meat and potatoes draft.

I really don’t think you can judge a draft for at least three years. Anyone who thinks they can judge a draft before any of the players have even played a down in the NFL is merely someone who doesn’t have a clue to begin with.

I agree in general, but, IMO, there are two ways to judge almost anything. 1) Anticipartory - there are those here who, seeing evidence to date, see enough to be optimistic, whether it's the draft, last season, FAs, whatever. 2) Strictly evidence-based.

Yes, I agree the REAL evaluation takes places end of '22 season. Until then, people will judge the draft based on what is available and extrapolating from there. I have no problem with that except when it becomes 'absolute.' For example, TT WILL BE in the HOF' or 'Hunt CAN'T play RT.'

I’ve said it before, but we only “reached” if you go off of what espn’s talking heads had their draft boards sorted, or you look at a draft board that some guy in his Moms basement posted online.... we have no idea how each team has their boards set up. For all we know, Miami drafted these guys later than they had projected on their boards
That's a good point. After we lost out on Ruiz, we traded back and went with Noah. Flores has said that they did it simply because he was the BPA left on their board.

Yet most draft graders will call him a reach. Obviously the Fins felt very differently if they were willing to spend a 1st on a guy that did not fill a position of need.

I'm actually genuinely curious how highly we had him ranked.

All draft grades, whether the day of or even 10+ years later are all pointless and without meaning. Its either too early to tell or so far afterwards that teams, schemes and coaches likely have changed.

So, since it is all meaningless, and a person wants to grade a draft before a down has been played, then they should go for it.

It is incumbent on the reader/listener/observer of said grade to give actual meaning or not.

Everyone has an opinion.

Praise for Dolphins

ESPN’s NFL Live is giving offseason grades to each team, and analyst and former NFL backup quarterback Tim Hasselbeck — in giving Miami an A-minus — made a good point Monday:

“In the process of them getting better, they also weakened their division,” Hasselbeck said. “When you look at guys that came over from New England [Kyle Van Noy, Ted Karras, Elandon Roberts], and Shaq Lawson’s case from Buffalo, and also supplement that with guys like Bryon Jones. Weakening the opponents in your division, getting better and also finding the quarterback of your future in the draft, giving them an A-minus.”

ESPN analyst Marcus Spears, the former Dallas Cowboys defensive end, gave the Dolphins an A-plus-plus.

It goes back to the end of last season with them beating the Patriots,” Spears said. “I was one of the guilty parties saying they were tanking for Tua. Actually, Brian Flores and company weren’t.

They were trying to win games and continue to get better throughout the season. They got Tua, Van Noy, Lawson, Austin Jackson, to protect their valuable young rookie quarterback. I think they did a tremendous job this offseason, but it started at the end of last season with what Flores was able to do with that team.”

I would love to read your reaction to the negative comments made in this video regarding our draft decisions. Curious.

I think the opposite. I think if we took safer, lower ceiling picks, that would've been squandering the draft. What need do the Phins have to take safer prospects? To preserve our chances of repeating that 5-11 record? No, this team needs high level talent to make it relevant, not average starters.

I think the opposite. I think if we took safer, lower ceiling picks, that would've been squandering the draft. What need do the Phins have to take safer prospects? To preserve our chances of repeating that 5-11 record? No, this team needs high level talent to make it relevant, not average starters.

Ya but the problem is most of these draft picks might end up only being average starters and then you're back to square one.

They called Xavien Howard, Xavien Rhodes. I also bet they have no knowledge on schemes and scheme fits.

he botched the name, but he was spot on with the point. Us picking X was slammed by the talking heads for the exact same reasons, penalties and grabbing. Fact is Igbinoghene has the same aggressive style and elite closing speed as well. That’s why we drafted him. They are very similar players.

This draft boils down to Tua being the guy or not to me. Even if the rest of the picks are busts and Tua is the DUDE, its an A+ draft for me because 4 years later we still have Tua even if the FO is blown up.

Back
Top Bottom