Did We Squandered The Draft?? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did We Squandered The Draft??

I definitely think we ****** up in the draft.

We drafted guys as if we are a baseball team and plan to have them in our farm system for years.

I can’t wait to see who we get with all our picks next year....NOT.

Flores is going to have to coach his ass off every year cause the talent just ain’t there.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a person who's followed the NFL Draft for over 30 years, there are dangers in 2 scenarios when drafting. They both don't have strong histories of success, 1) Don't over draft players who are raw and may need an inordinate amount of development. 2) Don't overdraft, Small School Prospects or litter your entire draft on Small School players.

Both of these cases haven't had the amount of success teams would hope and expect. In both cases the one constant has been, the players are raw and in need of development and seems, not to be beneficial to teams, who are looking to win now and/or in need of an immediate starter. Especially if you don't have the right coaching staff in place to develop these players.

In Miami's situation, the 2020 draft has potential to bust big time if Jackson, Ibinoghene, Hunt and Davis don't develop into a contributing player beyond special teams or the practice squad.

The one thing Miami seems to have in its favor is, Brian Flores. He's shown he's capable of developing Street F/A's and/or UDFA's into quality rotational players, and potential starting caliber players. He's done an excellent job in his 1st year as Head Coach. But can he continue, can he repeat his success from 2019?

If he does, Miami could become a legit playoff threat and possibly more down the line. It all depends on how well this draft class, as well as, those 2019 holdovers take to his teachings and developmental skills?

Last edited:
Talent wise the dolphins will get there. Just like 49ers..The number one concern will be Tua..if he can be like Jimmy G. Get dolphins to next level.. is what I am concern about..

We drafted guys as if we are a baseball team and plan to have them in our farm system for years.

Flores is going to have to coach his *** off every year cause the talent just ain’t there.

Disagree, I think it was a solid draft. We added a lot of help to the OL. Hunt and Davis will start Week 1. The more film I saw on Igbinoghene I really like and think he will be a starter by 2022.

My biggest concern is Davis long term. I know I am going to get bombed for this comparison, but his play looks a lot like Jonathan Martin on film. I’m not saying he has the entitlement issues, mental instability, or being a scumbag he was (he’s the polar opposite in that regard) just the way he plays. Not physical, appears to be thinking through every step and was beat by top talent. He is only 20 and has a lot of room to grow, but he needs to be coached up a lot.

I hate when people say we reached on picks. We needed a OT....the top 4 were taken we pick the 5th best. If we pass and get one later we are now picking our 7-8 best OT. You can say the same thing for CB. We use like 7-8 in a game, at 30 we pick our highest rated CB on our board.

Sure let it play out. Where do you draw the line between a bad drafting GM or a coaching staff that can’t develop talent? We have had one or the other and often both. I am more sold on Flores than Grier though.

Flores is going to have to coach his *** off every year cause the talent just ain’t there.
You mean he will have to do his job.......he approved the picks. The Patriots way of drafting......get used to it.

That's a good point. After we lost out on Ruiz, we traded back and went with Noah. Flores has said that they did it simply because he was the BPA left on their board.

Yet most draft graders will call him a reach. Obviously the Fins felt very differently if they were willing to spend a 1st on a guy that did not fill a position of need.

I'm actually genuinely curious how highly we had him ranked.
As a person who's followed the NFL Draft for over 30 years, there are dangers in 2 scenarios when drafting. They both don't have strong histories of success, 1) Don't over draft players who are raw and may need an inordinate amount of development. 2) Don't overdraft, Small School Prospects or litter your entire draft on Small School players.

Both of these cases haven't had the amount of success teams would hope and expect. In both cases the one constant has been, the players are raw and in need of development and seems, not to be beneficial to teams, who are looking to win now and/or in need of an immediate starter. Especially if you don't have the right coaching staff in place to develop these players.

In Miami's situation, the 2020 draft has potential to bust big time if Jackson, Ibinoghene, Hunt and Davis don't develop into a contributing player beyond special teams or the practice squad.

The one thing Miami seems to have in its favor is, Brian Flores. He's shown he's capable of developing Street F/A's and/or UDFA's into quality rotational players, and potential starting caliber players. He's done an excellent job in his 1st year as Head Coach. But can he continue, can he repeat his success from 2019?

If he does, Miami could become a legit playoff threat and possibly more down the line. It all depends on how well this draft class, as well as, those 2019 holdovers take to his teachings and developmental skills?
Those are all great points. I don't know how it factors in, but how hard are these players willing to work? Are they the types who show up early and leave late? These are the kinds of things, as a fan, we don't always know.

Jerry Rice is considered to be the greatest wide receiver who ever played. In his first year, he dropped quite a few passes. But his work ethic was off-the-charts. It's one of the things I loved about Frank Gore when he was in Miami.

That's what's hard to know reading scouting reports, watching games, highlights etc.

I hate when people say we reached on picks. We needed a OT....the top 4 were taken we pick the 5th best. If we pass and get one later we are now picking our 7-8 best OT. You can say the same thing for CB. We use like 7-8 in a game, at 30 we pick our highest rated CB on our board.
I don't think these were huge reaches. With his talent and playing left tackle, I think Jackson would have gone in the first round if Miami passed on him. Maybe he was taken 7-10 spots early. Iggy likely would have been an early 2nd rounder. Hunt, I thought might have been a 3rd rounder.

Then again, each teams board is different. Iggy is a great scheme fit for Miami. That's what I like about this draft, the scheme fits.

Mock draft guys were torn about Davis. Some had him firmly in the 2nd round and others had him in the 3rd round. It just depends on how a team feels about him. Hunt was rated the best guard in the draft by some reviewers, but Miami is going to play him at tackle first. His film was very good against some good competition (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, A&M). Noah was projected by some as a first round pick. No worse that the middle of the 2nd round. It wasn't like he was a huge reach. Jackson is the most frequent target as a reach. I will say the guys on NFL Network liked him in the first and 18 to 26 is not a significant range. I think he is typical of any rookie tackle. And I do believe people underestimate the impact of giving bone marrow just prior to the season. Even Jones in the upper 3rd was within the range of a number of reviewers. He could have gone in the 4th and that is true. He might be the biggest reach so far. Kindley was projected from the 3rd down and Miami likely traded up because they got wind of interest in him. And they did really well in the 5th round. No reaching in that one, especially getting Weaver late in the 5th.

Blow the draft? All of us can question or doubt Dolphin drafts given history. But it is not our job to lose and I think Grier is keenly aware of the expectations placed on him.

Back
Top Bottom