Diff btwn RT and RG | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Diff btwn RT and RG

Dbergan

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the real diff btwn these two positions? From a purely tech perspective, why is a Guard considered a "lesser" athlete and, as such, a lower draft pick not to be wasted w/ the #20? Actually, along the OL, can someone tell me what position is the most difficult and hard to fill? My guess is LT and C.....

Originally posted by Dbergan
Can someone please explain to me the real diff btwn these two positions? From a purely tech perspective, why is a Guard considered a "lesser" athlete and, as such, a lower draft pick not to be wasted w/ the #20? Actually, along the OL, can someone tell me what position is the most difficult and hard to fill? My guess is LT and C.....

In very general terms, Ts have to better athletes b/c they need speed (quick feet) to defend more space. Gs have players on either side of them so they are more protected against D players just running around them. (You can protect Ts somewhat by keeping a TE in or using a RB to chip, etc., but it does limit your gameplans).

LT is the position that is most difficult to fill b/c defenses usually put their best pass rusher there. (Most QBs a right handed so that is usually the blind side).

Guards are also more rarely called on to block on the second level, that is out on LB's. They are often bulkier to handle the huge DT's. Unless you want a guard to "pull", that is step back and lead a back laterally behind the line and around an end, they don't need a lot of foot speed.

The Guard position is simply overlooked allot. If you think it is not important look at the difference in rickys production this year vs last year. Our offense demands that our guards pull and make plays on LBs down field as well as pick up the blitz from the 3-4. The RT has to be able to handle a de and outside rush. The guard has to be fleet of foot to adjust to the inside pass rush and or pull to give outside help. In no way should the gurad position on this team be neglected. You see what that got us last year. Dolfanreal69

Back
Top Bottom