Different Approach to OL in Camp | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Different Approach to OL in Camp

trsandaal

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Armando tweets: "By this time last few camps Tony Sparano had already mixed and matched multiple OL combos in the name of position flexibility. Not Philbin." I really like this change of approach and I am looking forward to seeing if it pays dividends. Sparano's constant shuffling didn't make any sense to me at all given the emphasis on the OL working together as a unit. Obviously, there a bunch of factors at play like health, talent, campbodies, etc., but you figure that if you let them work together to learn each other's strength and weakenesses that as a group their play would improve over time, so that when the season begins you have a unit that has jelled and further along the learning curve.

Sparano's approach was a pet peeve of many people, I can say that much.

He always seemed convinced that if he could keep trying different pairings and different combinations, somehow it was going to be like clicking tumblers in a lock, the right combination would manifest itself immediately and it would be magical.

I could see where his line of reasoning is on that but I personally don't know if it works out that way. I've gotten a sense that you have to pick guys you know to be good enough, and then keep them together as long as possible, coach them, and just have them get chemistry together.

Hope Tony takes that "expertess" to the Jets O line :)

This was something the Jets were very fortunate with, they have had so few injuries to the line except I think last year and it allowed them to really build that chemistry, I like Philbins way of going. I'm thinking the only ones that could challenge our 1sts would be Murtha and Steinbach, probably out of those two Steinbach most likely.

Sparano was hardly the O-Line expert everyone expected him to be. It seemed like we shuffled the O-line ALL THE TIME and that did not work for ****. I am very happy to see the change. In fact I am to see that Philbin is completely different than Sparano in every single aspect we have heard so far.

Look at the Texans. Not that the group is devoid of talent, but I think it's at least 50/50 chemistry and talent.

Yeah right ... alot of big talk about Sparano ... this time last year folks were still in love with him ... in preseason they went gaga over Henne for the love of God.

Specifically, they blamed the offense on Henning ... even though we tried to tell them his boss was Sparano who told him to dial that crap up. They were perfectly happy with Sparano last year & his new O-coordinator ... until they reeled off 7 losses!!

Even when that fool meatball was fired ... folks went around here for months saying "How nice of a guy he was & how the players loved him."

Bunch of short-memory mental midgets when it comes to football is my repeated observation.

Fans embraced Sparano & Henne, but now deny it ... those fools made us solid losers for years.

Meatballs: those you can't eat, coach.

Yeah right ... alot of big talk about Sparano ... this time last year folks were still in love with him ... in preseason they went gaga over Henne for the love of God.

Specifically, they blamed the offense on Henning ... even though we tried to tell them his boss was Sparano who told him to dial that crap up. They were perfectly happy with Sparano last year & his new O-coordinator ... until they reeled off 7 losses!!

Even when that fool meatball was fired ... folks went around here for months saying "How nice of a guy he was & how the players loved him."

Bunch of short-memory mental midgets when it comes to football is my repeated observation.

Fans embraced Sparano & Henne, but now deny it ... those fools made us solid losers for years.
I hated henning and still do. Sparano may be an idiot but getting rid of hemming was probably the best move he ever made as to the rest of your post I guess if the shoe fits. Although calling out multiple members in such an abrasive way might not be in your best long term interests for posting here. But I suppose you already know that .

the amount of Sparano nuthuggers here just shows how clueless they are about the game of football. They'd rather be blind bats waving their pom pom's than have any sort of objectivity (unable to form any objective thoughts or communication)
Okay that's not totally fair. It's not totally wrong, but people on this forum fling the blame around this organization like it's a game of hot potato. And there's zero accountability for flip-flopping opinions. I'm not saying Sparano/Henne-lovers were right - heck I put my faith in those guys and ended up disappointed - I'm just saying give people some credit for maintaining conviction until the evidence proved otherwise. Between Henning, Sparano, Ireland, Parcells, Henne, FOOTBALL-SMART people on this forum still bicker about where blame lies for various things. So please, give the fanbase a break. Even those who supported Sparano. We're not all sheep.

Sometimes I think people like playing the role of contrarian on this site just for the sake of it. And posters piggyback on those opinions just as quickly as cheerleader-fans.

Back
Top Bottom