Dion Jordan and offset language | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dion Jordan and offset language

Again, it really isn't anything to get worked up about, we have seen these offset negotiations the previous three seasons. Both sides will play hardball and ultimately Jordan's camp will likely cave in. Just like Odrick, Pouncey and Tannehill did the previous three years. Jordan might miss a couple of days of training camp, but it won't be a lengthy holdout. People will then forget about this offset stuff until the talk about it reappears in May 2014.

Is't that why we get holdouts for renogiation? I have no problem with a player who excells expecting the team to reward him if he outperforms his contract....as long as it is reasonable demands.

The new contract negotiated is done on the basis of what the team expects from the player going forward. Hence it approaches what another team would give him on the free market.

Call me when teams enact a program of significant RETROACTIVE pay based on past performance. And yes I am aware of the league incentives programs which hands out a few peanuts when a young player gets to the pro bowl or some such. That's why I said "significant".

Anyone making an issue of this is jumping in on it for one reason - Jeff Ireland. Between him and Aponte this team had the luxury of being in a great salary cap position which enabled us to spend on good FA so give it a rest with the Ireland hate and enjoy the offseason.

I didn't realize the Dolphins are not allowed to negotiate, they should bend over and take it because that's the right thing to do.

On NFL32 they just asked Schefter about Jordan's contract and he laughed at the talk about a holdout or any problems. Said it is absolutely ridiculous at this point to even be worried or talking about holdouts in early May, he said to at least wait until August before having these kind of talks. Didn't seem concerend about about signing Jordan.

What am I missing here? In the extremely unlikely chance we have to utilize this there is a good chance it'll help our rivals much more than it helps us. If you calculate the long term expected value of this offset language, with everything considered its probably worth no more than $50 or $100 per player. Is it worth having Jordan stressing and missing practice time over a measly $50 of value?

Are there any recent examples of this type of language helping a team immensely?

What am I missing here? In the extremely unlikely chance we have to utilize this there is a good chance it'll help our rivals much more than it helps us. If you calculate the long term expected value of this offset language, with everything considered its probably worth no more than $50 or $100 per player. Is it worth having Jordan stressing and missing practice time over a measly $50 of value?

Are there any recent examples of this type of language helping a team immensely?

Apparently there is if you're Dawn Aponte trying to prove a point.

Not sure I follow your $50 or $100 per player value for offset language in a contract, however I would be interested in seeing the history of it and examples of teams that have saved money using it.

The new contract negotiated is done on the basis of what the team expects from the player going forward. Hence it approaches what another team would give him on the free market.

Call me when teams enact a program of significant RETROACTIVE pay based on past performance. And yes I am aware of the league incentives programs which hands out a few peanuts when a young player gets to the pro bowl or some such. That's why I said "significant".

Not what I was talking about, I was referring to players under contract who demand (sometimes holdout) for a new contract because they out perform their existing contract. I have seen players still under contract get new deals early under these circumstances.

I can't logically see how an unproven rookie, who so badly underperforms that his original team cuts ties with him early should be on the hook for the whole deal if another team decides to give him a shot. It only seems fair to me.

So simply put, the only way a player loses money with the offset language is if he gets cut and no other NFL teams offers him a contract,. Am I getting this right? So that would basically mean as a 3rd overall pick, you're a COMPLETE bust and therefore, I would think you DO NOT deserve that final year of your contract anyway. just my 2 cents

So simply put, the only way a player loses money with the offset language is if he gets cut and no other NFL teams offers him a contract,. Am I getting this right? So that would basically mean as a 3rd overall pick, you're a COMPLETE bust and therefore, I would think you DO NOT deserve that final year of your contract anyway. just my 2 cents

No, he still gets his guaranteed money if cut, the player objection is not being able to double dip and have a potential new team pay him and the old team still be liable for the entire contract.

Seems like a fair expectation from a player who was a likely bust doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom