Dion Jordan and offset language | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dion Jordan and offset language

2 of those were trades, Gholston didn't play for anybody after he was cut, at least 1 was after a regime change.

And remember we're talking about Ireland here, if you think I'm way off on saying he takes advantage of offset language for his first round picks at about 1 in 100, what do you think the odds are?

I wasnt say u were way off on that Im saying u were way off about 1st round picks being cut. Both of the guys traded were cut so its still applies and these guys were gonna get cut anyway.
Ghoulston was signed and cut but yes he never played elsewhere. As for regime changes people just dont cut good players because they took over.

Almost every first rounder will get another look.

Regime change definitely changes the odds, I doubt we would have traded Davis if we still had Sparano as coach. There were rumors before the draft that Weeden could be cut, no way that happens without a regime change. You also have to factor in different offensive and defensive philosophies, a player that was drafted to play in the 3-4 may not have a position if the new coach or regime wants to play a 4-3 for example.

Your right that a new regime isn't going to cut good/great players but its easy for an existing regime to hold on to average/below average players.

When you buy shares of stock it's usually wise to buy protection (puts) which limits your losses in event of a sudden big drop in the stocks price.

That's what this sounds like to me. The player should agree to this protection but at the cost of a higher salary.

Insurance ... plain and simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who claim first round picks never get cut in their rookie deals, well the Bears are on the verge of cutting their 2011 first round pick. A prime example of why offset language is a good thing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...carimi-two-years-after-taking-him-in-round-1/

Once again, after a regime change the odds that a player can be cut go up dramatically, in deciding if offset is worthwihile Ireland should not be factoring in the possibility of a regime change at all for obvious reasons.

Once again, after a regime change the odds that a player can be cut go up dramatically, in deciding if offset is worthwihile Ireland should not be factoring in the possibility of a regime change at all for obvious reasons.

right... and I think you could make a case that some regime changes are the result of high round picks, and especially a 1st round pick, not panning out. hence, further strengthening the case for offset language.

I dont get the impression ireland is factoring in regime changes, I think he's factoring in, that you just never know with players transitioning to the league.

When you buy shares of stock it's usually wise to buy protection (puts) which limits your losses in event of a sudden big drop in the stocks price.

That's what this sounds like to me. The player should agree to this protection but at the cost of a higher salary.

What does it matter if their salary is guaranteed whether they are on the original team, cut or signed by another team?

I don't understand why some feel players should be rewarded for failing with double dipping, or paid extra for giving up the right to double dip?

It seems like either I don't understand how this works, or many others don't?

Let me explain my understanding of it again.....A rookie signs a guaranteed deal with Miami and they demand offset language. Now the terms of that contract are that the rookie is paid the entire amount by Miami even if said player is cut prior to the contract expiring, the only caveat being that should the latter occur, and another team takes a flyer on the bust that Miami would receive relief in the amount the new team signs him for(probably the minimum). Either way, the player gets his whole deal he originally signed for, so why the need for higher salary for the language or the ability to double dip for failing?

It seems to me most coaches that have guaranteed salaries fall under this same sort of contract, and coaches are often released before the contract expires, you often see coaches sit out and collect versus working for the same money.

Miami would receive relief in the amount the new team signs him for. Just what you said.
The club still loses out on the guaranteed money but is able to recoup some of the money in the amount the new club is willing to pay for the cut player. Could only be penny's on the dollar if he resigns for the minimum but it's something.

I don't think it's a big deal just one more bargaining chip in the negotiations.

Miami would receive relief in the amount the new team signs him for. Just what you said.
The club still loses out on the guaranteed money but is able to recoup some of the money in the amount the new club is willing to pay for the cut player. Could only be penny's on the dollar if he resigns for the minimum but it's something.

I don't think it's a big deal just one more bargaining chip in the negotiations.

I see it as your not cheating the player because his guaranteed money goes to him one way or the other, for the team it's smart business because every half Mil or whatever the minimum is now adds up in cap room.

What I didn't understand was how many were siding with the player on this...if your a bust you don't deserve extra pay.

The player can't ask for a higher salary. The contracts are slotted.

The player can't ask for a higher salary. The contracts are slotted.

best thing the nfl has done although a bust still comes at a high price. I personally think there should be some type of arbritration for lower round picks.
Alfred Morris was one of best backs in the league and will make peanuts for 4 seasons while guys drafted ahead of him will make much more.

Back
Top Bottom