Direct Tv Retention | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Direct Tv Retention

What is DTV now? And I have cable currently but a HD dish set-up from past satellite service. Can I just get the NFL ticket from direct without a channel package?

From the website:

Getting Started
Is NFL SUNDAY TICKET available with DIRECTV NOW?

Ryan Rayhill - Yesterday at 14:53

At this time, NFL SUNDAY TICKET isn't available as a premium option for DIRECTV NOW.

Probably won't be an option for DIRECTV NOW until they have the opportunity to renew their contract with the NFL

The cheapest option is to use the college student streaming only package. It's 100 bucks for the year. I use a friend I play Playstation online with. He goes to a school in Indiana and let's me use his name. For 100 bucks a year you can't beat it

So you give them more of your money all at once, instead of holding on to it yourself for longer....Every bank and investor in the world would say that's a terrible idea lol...

I will ask you this. Would you rather pay $300 up front or pay $160 a month for 6 months? I rather get it out of the way. Besides this is different then buying a car with cash. Were talking a measly $300. Be done with it.

I think El Calebra should try some of this, especially if hes been with them multiple years, could probably save a whole lot of money

I have had Sunday Ticket since its inception. In fact my first season was on a 8' satellite dish.
I have tried to get breaks on the ticket. So far they have never budged and I too am a negotiator. Of course telling them you are going elsewhere is the best bet. But you better have a better cheaper option. We don't.
We have DSL and DirectV. We live out in the country. No cable.

I will ask you this. Would you rather pay $300 up front or pay $160 a month for 6 months? I rather get it out of the way. Besides this is different then buying a car with cash. Were talking a measly $300. Be done with it.

I have had Sunday Ticket since its inception. In fact my first season was on a 8' satellite dish.
I have tried to get breaks on the ticket. So far they have never budged and I too am a negotiator. Of course telling them you are going elsewhere is the best bet. But you better have a better cheaper option. We don't.

Id much rather pay the 60 a month rather than 300 all at once....You get to hold on to more of your cash for longer, which is never a bad thing and if you invest and/or have opportunities to make profit it is always better to have more.

You don't have to take my word for it though, if you Google how banks work you will see there are multi billion dollar companies that make most of their profit simply by holding on to peoples cash for them....

One more option for that extra cash on hand is to invest it in something that gains in value over time. Gold, silver, antique instruments, well known paintings, antique furniture, antique cars and more all do nothing but increase in value over time

Last edited:

As to the negotiation, one idea to get a discount would be to threaten to cancel, especially since you've been paying full price for that long. Regardless of cable service in your area, there are many options available (magic box, amazon fire stick, online services) that only require an internet connection. I would mention those options when speaking of cancelling...bet they would love to keep you as a customer and would at least give some type of discount off full price.

Id much rather pay the 60 a month rather than 300 all at once....You get to hold on to more of your cash for longer, which is never a bad thing and if you invest and/or have opportunities to make profit it is always better to have more.

You don't have to take my word for it though, if you Google how banks work you will see there are multi billion dollar companies that make most of their profit simply by holding on to peoples cash for them....

One more option for that extra cash on hand is to invest it in something that gains in value over time. Gold, silver, antique instruments, well known paintings, antique furniture, antique cars and more all do nothing but increase in value over time

I gotta call them up soon and wheel and deal, on top of just not wanting to pay $300 last year for it cause kids were getting more expensive, I sure as heck wasn't paying $300 for a cutler lead team...that was actually the excuse I told them when I cancelled it.

but in reference to your post about the financial aspects, me personally I would almost just go ahead and pay the $300 myself and get it over with, get my regular bill back to where it was. but my company does a savings program, you can sign up to have X amount of dollars taken out of your check each week then in November you receive the one lump sum check. a lot of people who are bad about saving use this option... I did it twice in my 19 years, once I pulled it out by april for some reason, and then my first year married I pulled it out for my summer vacation trip. but its a good idea, some people this is their Christmas savings, ive known of other people who use this to save for their property taxes. but the crazy thing is hearing some of the people bitch about "the company is just trying to make money off us, they are drawing interest off what we save" "if all of us combined are putting back 1000's of dollars a month, think what the company is making off us, they are not doing it for us, they are doing it for them" Like dumbasses we are one of the top manufacturing companies in the US and export worldwide not an investment brokerage or bank, do you really think the company gives a damn about making $500 a year in interest off of their Christmas savings programs.

but yes anyone that pays the directv the $300 up front, im sure DTV makes an extra $2 off the ticket than those who pay installments, I don't invest so it doesn't really matter to me, I don't even know what my 401k investments are or even how much is in it, it could be $0 with me have lost everything or heck it could be a million (doubtful but dang).

but me I just like to pay and get it over with, just work a couple extra hours OT on a Saturday and be thru with it

Comon. I pay the $300 from money I made from investments. I retired because I saved and invested my entire working career.
Think about it this way.
The payment plan starts before the games do and go all the way through January after the regular season is over. So your still paying when the regular season is over.
I know a little about finance and there are exceptions to the rule. I would not pay cash for a house, but when I go to the grocery store I do. I pay my auto insurance up front. It saves me $60 a year. There is a difference.
I could drop $300 by going to one game. (plus plane fare) One expensive dinner. Do you pay your credit card in full each month. I do, so I don't pay interest. Of course CC's are a different animal. Personally for my mental health and overall well being, shelling out the $300 all at once makes me feel better that shelling out $160 a month for 6 months. Its just as easy to take care of the Ticket all at once.
Go Phins Brother!

As to the negotiation, one idea to get a discount would be to threaten to cancel, especially since you've been paying full price for that long. Regardless of cable service in your area, there are many options available (magic box, amazon fire stick, online services) that only require an internet connection. I would mention those options when speaking of cancelling...bet they would love to keep you as a customer and would at least give some type of discount off full price.

I hate to threaten when I don't have a reasonable back up plan. I have DSL with 15 mbps. No cable. Satelite internet sucks (according to those I know that have tried it).
We can watch Netfix with no buffering. So maybe there is another option.
I guess I could threaten them with leaving, then leave and come back as a new customer? Maybe get the newcomers deal? FREE!
I'm gonna try again this year.
Do you guys suggest I wait until preseason game start? Thanks. John

Not sure I will be able to do as much this year, but we have others - somehow it always gets posted here.

Bumping this up since I couldn't find a newer thread about DTV/ST using the search option but.....like others are saying, I called and got nothing but the standard $16.50 off a month for 6 months on MAX (saves you $100). It's a carryover discount for anyone who had it last season. Just the ST is about $295 but ST with the MAX offer is the same so it'd be stupid not to get that.

I have a son in college (really do) living on campus so I can take advantage of the student discount but what I forgot to find out is whether more than one person can stream ST at a time.....i.e; can I watch online if he's signed on at college watching?? I'm gonna call back in a week and ask and also see if I can work a better deal on the home ST service if possible. Seems to be that they are not budging much on this since AT&T took over.

EDIT: Welp....just found this:

https://nflsthelp.directv.com/hc/en...stream-NFL-SUNDAY-TICKET-on-multiple-devices-

So it's a no go.....gonna have to try to ply them with the loyal customer angle, blah blah blah and if all else fails start crying on the phone, LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom