Dixon back to guard??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dixon back to guard???

Coral Reefer

Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org
Reaction score
I for one would like to see the Fins put Mark Dixon back to Guard and toughen up that soft middle of the O- Line that we have.
Dix is a tough SOB and we need that back in the middle of the line.

Besides, Spriggs is doing a good job and Perry would look much better on the bench as a reserve.

Any thoughts?

When Dixon was the Tackle, Ricky was putting up big numbers. I wouldn't change a thing. Running off that left side behind Nails and Dixon is good enough for me.

Originally posted by fin-atic
When Dison was Tacklw Ricky was putting up big numbers. I wouldn't change a thing. Running off that left side behind Nails and Dixon is good enough for me.

Agreed....

However I can't help but wonder how much stronger the line might be as a whole if Dix was put at guard on that weak right side. Dix would prob. make Wade play a little better as well.
I think Wade is letting his Perry's "Doughboy" play wear off on him.

Just a thought.

Regardless, the line will be much improved with his return.

We will be btter with Dixon on board. I agree about Perry. He is a doughboy. We also could use a dominant center. Ruddy is good, but not dominant. I look to see us pick up some more O line help this offseason.

Don't blame Todd Perry for Wade's poor play. Perry has by far outperformed Wade the last two seasons. He's tough and is doing a good job this year. Conversely, Wade continues to get his ass whooped on a weekly basis. And he's facing players who aren't nearly as strong as the DTs that Perry faces.

As for Dixon, there's no way we move him back inside. He's proven that he can't stay healthy inside. Hell, he can't stay healthy outside. Plus, we moved him outside for two reasons......

1) Lack of depth at OT. Spriggs has been ok. But he's not as good as Dixon.

2) Nails and Perry solid play

If we were to move Dixon back inside, not only would he have to learn a new position......but the offensive line would have to go back to square one as far as timing and cohesion goes.

It be nice if Dixon could play center thats were we need an upgrade the most.

Well, that begs the question regarding Seth McKinney. Anyone have a sense of where he stands in development? Ruddy brings more to the offense than just snaps and blocks, so replacing him with a rookie is obviously a stretch. But how good is McKinney right now, and how good could he become within this season if he had a bunch of playing time? Since there isn't enough reason to pull Ruddy right now as a coaching decision, one way to look at the question would be: how would it play out if Ruddy were unavailable? any thoughts?

I read, I think on TSN, that McKinney WILL be the center next year. I'll try to find the link.

It was actually just one sentence.......this one
Rookie center Seth McKinney has a future; he could replace Ruddy as soon as next season.

Here's thelink

ty, inFINS.

McKinney should be highly-motivated; he's playing for a team willing to chalk up $25 million for a top-notch center. ;)

By the way, I wonder if Kreutz is enjoying the fine season Chicago is having. When he declined our $25 mil and stayed in the windy city for a mere $22.5, much was made of his "refreshing" commitment to stick with his team. But once we and Kreutz forced da Bears to pay THAT much, the team hadda give up some other player resources. I wonder how much the opportunity cost of keeping him has contributed to their dismal performance this year.

As much as I'd appreciate seeing some pancake blocks by Kreutz as a phin, I'm glad we didn't end up having to actually pay the amount we offered. Who's to say how much depth we woulda lost elsewhere if he had signed?

But there's a flip side to it. Our offensive line would have been that much better with Kruetz anchoring it. He's everything you want in a center.

If we had signed Kreutz, we probably would have lost Brock Marion. That means Freeman would be playing his natural FS spot. So the wildcard would have been at strong safety. After that, I really don't know who would have been here and who wouldn't.

Some of these comments about the line seem strange. To my view Todd Perry has been the worst starter among the 22 offensive and defensive starters. Anyway an interesting idea would be to play McKinney in Perry's spot at right guard.
Speaking of McKinney, he would be expected to be the starting center in either his 2nd or 3rd year. The great Dolphin centers of the past, Langer and Stephenson, did not become full-time starting centers until their 3rd year. Ruddy himself took over the starting spot in his 2nd year.

Personally I would keep things par for the course. Like someone else said, When Dixon was in Williams was dominating other teams. He hasn't really done that since. I think the starting line feeds off of one another and that is evident when one of them goes down. Perry and Ruddy have taken a lot of heat this past offseason, I think both have played real well, along with a surprising Jamie Nails. Wade had been the one screwing the pooch on pass coverage. He needs to get help form the fullback constantly and that isn't what this team needs. I do agree that this offseason a few upgrade might need to be made. Dixon will retire, Ruddy will be gone and if Wade doesn't snap out of it, Our line might look completely different next year.

For what it's worth, I'm guessing that a couple other parts of making the dollars work under a Kreutz scenario would have involved extending Jay at something less than we paid and ditto on that re-write we gave Ricky. And it's interesting to note each of those guys would have agreed to marginally less if those negotiations took place with Kreutz already wearing aqua and orange.

On the field, we would have seen Ricky doing even more up the middle. Maybe we wouldn't even have learned how quick he CAN head outside, turn the corner and burst. :)

BUT, ... to me, the main thing about our being willing to pay Kreutz that much was that it represented a commitment to completing the team to WIN NOW. And given the speculation that Norv is Jones' first choice to replace Campo at Dallas, winning NOW looks pretty damn important. :) Any thoughts?

Originally posted by Trekbiz
I for one would like to see the Fins put Mark Dixon back to Guard and toughen up that soft middle of the O- Line that we have.
Dix is a tough SOB and we need that back in the middle of the line.

Besides, Spriggs is doing a good job and Perry would look much better on the bench as a reserve.

Any thoughts?

I don't mean to flame ya, but this has got to be one of the worst ideas placed on this board in a long time. Dixon can't stay healthy so we are going to screw with even more of our line up to move him to a spot where he is going to take more of a pounding and do this in the middle of the season?

I've had my share of bad ideas too, but hopefully no one remembers.

Back
Top Bottom