Dixon Needs to Quit Whining About His Ability! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dixon Needs to Quit Whining About His Ability!

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I understand that the guy is somewhat self depricating but this is just getting ridiculous! Does the guy want to play professional football or is he just here to collect a pay check and talk about how much better everyone else is than himself? I completely understand humbleness, but the guy sounds like he's flat given up. He needs to start saying things like: "I know I'm a little slowed by this nagging injury but I'm sure I can come back" or "I'll beat this injury thing one way or another!"

I'm just sick of his stupid act and I either want to see him start talking the talk and walking the walk, or see him retire; this "I'm not good enough" garbage is just getting old.

Here's the link to the article and the quoutes to which I'm referring: :down:

Conversely, Dixon said Wednesday that he doesn't deserve to start at left guard because of how Nails has performed. Dixon, who has manned the position the past four seasons, said he still is struggling to recover from a fractured right fibula and torn ankle ligaments suffered last November against Buffalo.

"To be honest with you, Jamie's outplayed me by a long shot," said Dixon, a four-year starter at left guard. "Listen, when I got here [in 1998], I won the job because I was the best guy. Right now, I'm not the best guy. That's just a fact of life. Jamie's playing unbelievable and deserves to be there now."

Although Nails is performing well enough to crack the starting lineup, Wannstedt pointed out Wednesday that Dixon is always exceedingly hard on himself.

Dixon's Crap

I completely agree with you expo. It started last year after his injury by him saying "I just don't think I can keep doin this to my family." Judgeing by his play before the injury and his mouth he obviously doesn't have the heart anymore. I say give him the axe and start getting Searcy and Nails ready to take his job.

I gotta disagree. Mark's the type of person who's completely honest. He doesn't mislead the public. He's always talked this way. And it was always ok. But now that he's injured and is displaying the same kind of honestly, you don't like it. Sorry, but with guys like Mark Dixon, it doesn't work both ways. Would you rather him be like Jamal Anderson and Terrell Davis?? Guys who are privately questioning themselves but publicly saying all the right things. What's the freaking difference??

Here to just collect a paycheck?? PUH-LEASE!! I can't believe you even threw that one out there as a possibliity. If you actually believe that Mark Dixon is not giving 110% out there then you don't know a thing about Mark Dixon.

So it just comes down to the fact that Mark Dixon is an indivudual who's struggling to return from an injury and is being honest about it. And you can't handle it.

I'm sorry, but I'm really disappointed in this thread.

Sorry I didn't garner your approval here but it's a fact that if you whine about something enough others are either going to believe that (in this case) you don't have the ability or they're going to start ignoring you altogeth, and that's especially true of guys on a football team. The fact of the matter is Dixon’s comments are the antithesis to comments made by guys like Warren Sapp, Shannon Sharpe, and on occasion, Sam Madison. Their comments may help to P/O the other team but they also help to pump up their teammates.

Dixon's comments on the other hand only serve to drag himself and his teammates down. Say something enough and people are going to start believing you and that's essentially what this thread that you are so "disappointed" in is about.

Also, in response to whether I would rather have him say all the right things publicly and privately question himself: absolutely! If he were to do that he would have to go out and give that "110%" you talked about every day- like the aforementioned RB's- rather than having this built in excuse.

As far as him always displaying this kind of honesty, yes, Dixon has always been somewhat self deprecating in saying that he could do better or that he should have done this or that, but to flat out give up on his freakin position and say that he's not going to do everything in his power to maintain his starting spot is absolutely ridiculous and has no place on an NFL football franchise.

They should just let him cut back and pencil him in as #2 LG. Let him rehab and build back his strength. He didn't have much time for rehab from the time he had the screws removed form his leg till he was out there pulling sleds of weights. He took it to fast, too early.

Originally posted by DNY
They should just let him cut back and pencil him in as #2 LG. Let him rehab and build back his strength. He didn't have much time for rehab from the time he had the screws removed form his leg till he was out there pulling sleds of weights. He took it to fast, too early.

the only problem with that is that b. smith, is not where he should be at this point. whether you want to believe it or not! we have a problem here houston! i think dixon will retire cus of two things. DCH said something very interesting, he is going through a divorce. that is a killer for a guy who is probly a big family guy with two kids. and dixon was already talked out of retirement last year at the end of the season after his injury. im sad. i am praying for mark dixon. i think he can be a good LT. i think we need him to be a good LT. and troy andrews is a Wise favorite, and i dont think we will lose anything at LG if dixon moves to LT.

Expo your the only guy I know who complains about a player who is actually honest instead of one who says complete fluff.

Good post Van. I'm one of those guys who turns the channel during most interviews and skips a lot of the crap in the papers. Most of the time it's fluff and is the same PC answer every time. SCREW THAT. It's boring. Case in point: the stupid ass coach interviews before kickoff and halftime. Somebody shoot me!!!

Personally, I don't buy this stuff about Mark bringing down his teammates and firing up opponents. I don't think that Mark goes around camp telling everybody he sucks and he can't cut it. I also doubt that his teammates are affected by what he says in the press. If anything, he builds them up when he speaks of them. And who gives a crap if the other team thinks he sucks. If anything, it makes them under-estimate him.

I love his candor. I wish he'd take a job with WQAM when he leaves football (hopefully not this year).

I gotta agree with Muck on this one..
I've been a dolfan since i started watching football..love 'em and love the NFL..
However i am also a big CFL fan...yeah thats right the one that formed Garcia, Flutie and Marc Dixon into good NFL players..Interstingly enough Dix was a lineman on my fav CFL team..
i've been watching and following him for 5 years and always rooted for him...because of his constitency, humbleness and values....now i learn that he wants to retire..doesnt surprise me the least..why??
Marc always said that the day he couldnt be the best and play football the way he wanted too he'd retire..he stood by his word, not for the MONEY but because it's what he deep down thought..He is indeed very humble and critical of himself but i learned that thats his way of motivating himself..
So one part of me says he will retire bacause of the frankness and humbleness he exorts but another tells me that Dix is just trying to get himself motivated and up for the game..Whatever he does i'll support him :rolleyes:

I agree with Expo.....

M. Dixon is making me sick. He goes on and on every year about how he can do better.....Well???

He's a back-up now. It appears that his injury last season really took a lot out of him, and his confidence.....

Let's just sit him, and let him play a back-up role at OG until he's more confident and playing better....If he ever gets better.

I would not be surprised at all to see a bunch of changes on this OL next off-season. I'm predicting that M. Dixon, T. Ruddy, T. Perry, and B. Smith will be gone.....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Ask Jerry Rice if he can do better. Ask Kurt Warner if he can do better. It's a motivational tool my friend. All the great ones do it. They motivate themselves.

Originally posted by Muck
Ask Jerry Rice if he can do better. Ask Kurt Warner if he can do better. It's a motivational tool my friend. All the great ones do it. They motivate themselves.

Looks like he's motivated himself right into a back-up spot at OG!!!!:lol:

PHINZ RULE!!!

It's not a matter of them saying they can do better, that's not the point. They all will say that they coulda, shoulda, woulda done better, but not a single one of them, and I mean none of them, would ever say that someone else should have their jobs. A winner and someone who believes him/herself to be a winner would not simply succumb and hand their job over to another person.

You can say that you did all you could, and fought as hard as you could, but the other guy just played better but I will try to push my way back. What this thread is about is not Dixon saying that he should do better, it's about the attitude that he's basically given up. Whether or not that's true is not the issue, it's the way he comes across. It's not motivation, it's "I CAN'T."

If he can't cut it anymore I would be sorry to see him leave, but he should retire. I honestly feel for the guy's home-life, divorce sucks; I've been there, however, even when going to personal tragedy all of us, including football players have to make a choice to continue doing the things we do or let that personal tragedy overwhelm and consume us. In this case it appears that Dixon has let the latter happen to him.

I would completely respect the guy if he said that his heart just wasn't into it anymore, his body couldn't hack it, and he needed change and retired a la Steve Wisnewski but that's not what he's doing. He's waffling and he appears to be allowing tertiary issues to get the better of him when his teammates are counting on him.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

Looks like he's motivated himself right into a back-up spot at OG!!!!:lol:

Whatever dude. :rolleyes:

Hey Expo, I think we're closer than it appears. I just feel that a real man concedes defeat for the better of the team. And that's what Mark did. BUT.....I didn't interperate his comments as "giving up". Because he said, "Jaimie HAS outplayed me." Not "Jaimie outplayed me". He also said, "RIGHT NOW, I'm not the best guy."

I just don't feel like he's giving up. Honestly, I feel like he's coming to a crossroads. Weighing his options and questioning his status. But by no means giving up yet. We'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom