Do not overlook Buffalo | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do not overlook Buffalo

I know it would behoove the Fins to not overlook Buffalo Week 1 but our track record @ Buffalo hasn't exactly been good over the years.

As a matter of fact when was the last time we won in Orchard Park???? Anyone know b/c I'm stumped to answer?????

the one positive at this point is the severity of Byrd's groin injury since it's a great big question mark if he'd play at all Week 1

He would be a big loss to that secondary. He was really impressive last season for them.

They have just enough weapons to surprise. Not that they are a good team, but they did have someone return a PUNT for a TD (hope our ST are better). Also a couple of BIG play TD passes in last nights game of over 40 yards per. I personally don't think our D will give them time to get passes like that off. I'm just saying it would be very bad to lose our first game because we were too busy worried about Farve in week 2

There is not one team in the NFL that can be overlooked. I think the dolphins leadership knows better then that.

well considering we havent won at ralph wilson since 2003... Honestly, we arent a strong enough team were we can afford to overlook ANYONE

The only advantage they have is solid special teams play

The Bills secondary is deep and it's excellent. They were 2nd in the league in creating INT's last season, and they were all over the football yesterday against Manning with INT's and a lot of deflections.

All it takes is a turnover or two in front of their home crowd and it could quickly change the complexion and momentum of the game. The Bills secondary is certainly capable of getting some turnovers against us. They are very good at it as a matter of fact.

they looked good last night, but couple things.

1.The Bills looked REALLY REALLY bad against Washington last week

2.Aside from about 3 or 4 players, the Colts defense is awful. Seriously, outside of Freeny, Mathis, and Bethea the only guy who would start on any other team is Gary Brackett

3.The Bills have one guy on offense that can make an impact that isn't a RB; Lee Evans. Evans did what he does well, but I am not scared of anybody else in that receiving game.

they looked good last night, but couple things.

1.The Bills looked REALLY REALLY bad against Washington last week

2.Aside from about 3 or 4 players, the Colts defense is awful. Seriously, outside of Freeny, Mathis, and Bethea the only guy who would start on any other team is Gary Brackett

3.The Bills have one guy on offense that can make an impact that isn't a RB; Lee Evans. Evans did what he does well, but I am not scared of anybody else in that receiving game.

And yet BUF was able to pull out a win last year. In Gailey's system we will see alot of the rb's in the flats and leaking thru the middle. Couple that with youth (Misi) inexperience (Wake) and IMO terrible skill set (Chowder), we would be wise to not take anything for granted.

Should MIA win big? Yes....will they? Depends on the learning curve of the defense.

Let's put it this way:

The Bills offensive line is offensive. And instead of using a high draft pick in this year's draft for an OL, they get a potentially great runningback; which is already decent, but struggling with a bad offensive line. They waited until the 5th round to select world-beater [/sarcasm] Ed Wang and stood pat with the tackling dummies they've already got. Their offensive line is a huge liability

They don't know who their starting quarterback is and all of the guys competing for it on their roster scares nobody. Their receivers are all mediocre. I like Evans, but he'll be double-teamed a lot.

Starting linebacker Aaron Schobel basically said it sucked so bad playing there that he decided to retire because it wasn't worth it.

I would say their best chance at beating Miami would be if Marcus Stroud and their defense are able to create a few turnovers and limit Miami's running game, pressuring Henne into throwing a pick or two to the Bill's decent secondary. And they need to run it down Miami's throat and test this hybrid defensive line that Sporano and Nolan put together. I think the term "hybrid" in this case means "We couldn't get a mammoth 350-pound cave troll in the draft or free agency and our suspended stop-gap solution retired, so we're gonna have fast guys move around a lot and show different techniques and looks and hope that confuses them or something". I think in the long run Miami's defense will be pretty good. But I worry about how long they will take to learn a new system and schemes with almost entirely new players. It will be fun to watch them all age together and become a dependable unit. Weak safety is my main worry. The rest of the secondary is great as far as I am concerned. Smith and Davis could very well be the next Surtain/Madison. Injury concerns aside, Bell is a great strong safety. Will Allen looks a lot better with Smith and Davis on the roster and a few promising youngsters at cb.

The Bills are struggling with injury and sudden retirement (and suspension) just as much as Miami, if not more so, but I don't expect either team to come out in the first game and set the world on fire. Both teams are still defining themselves and putting it all together. I think Miami is has more pieces in place, and that will become evident as the season progresses. I think Misi was a hit. Henne will be an above average qb, with the possibility of becoming great one. Dansby will be fun to watch. In fact, watching this defense attack with a relentless motor under Mike Nolan's guidance will be exciting to watch. The Dolphins would be crazy not to blitz the Bills to death in this game to create constant pressure. Henne will have no excuses since he's been handed the keys to a Maserati in Brandon Marshall. He is one of the best in the league. I would say top 4 (Andre Johnson, Wayne and Fitzgerald). He instantly makes all of the other receivers better and makes them more of the weapons they can be in the spots they're at.

I expect the final score to be closer because neither team will be in mid-season form, it's the start of the season where everybody's undefeated, the Bills have home-field advantage; whatever it's worth, since Miami hasn't won there in 7 years. Not that the past is any indication of the future. Weird stats and streaks are aberrations and iron themselves out given enough time. Call me in 50 years if Miami still hasn't won there. Then I might be impressed. And that streak would have been broken anyways if the Bills' didn't play in a different country last year. Maybe they should move the Bills to LA and put em out of their misery. It would be fun to watch another team suck in California.

The main problem is that Miami has consistantly played down to the level of their opponents. That is the main reason this game worries me.

I hate to say but so far the Jills look better than us.

Except you forgot the part about how the Bills looked like one of the worst football teams I have ever seen their first preseason game.

Sorry, but I will overlook the Bills. They aren't a good team, at all. 3-13 at best.

I love how people bring up last year as if that meant a damn. Last time I checked both teams have different players and coaching.

Another thing. Yes, we struggle at Buffalo, but playing in Buffalo the first week of the season is much different than playing there in December or November. Heck, we haven't played in Buffalo in September since 1993.

Back
Top Bottom