Do We Deal... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do We Deal...

I think this draft is about building a base. The QB class is better and fits our offense (Patriots style) better next year. So if we're going to have a rookie QB in 2020, let's rebuild that OL today. Fortunately, there are a lot of solid OL prospects that will be available in the middle and late rounds. So, while we don't need to draft OL early, expect us to draft two OL at some point and probably bring in some good OL UDFA's. At a very minimum we need two new starting guards.

The DL is being completely deconstructed and rebuilt from scratch. The ends will require high picks, so don't be surprised if we use our 1st on a DE, and don't be surprised if we pick two DL early. Grier and the front office have been honest with us, because the need is obvious and nobody would have been fooled by lying or subterfuge. Rebuilding both lines NEEDS to be done, so there's no point in hiding the fact that we're going to do it.

Since we have our LT, I see it unlikely we trade up. It seems more likely we trade down (for more picks within the 2019 draft) or out (for more picks in the 2020 draft).

To quote the old adage about movie success...."No one knows anything".

If Murray/Haskins are there at 13 (stranger things have happened) then I don't see us passing on the chance to grab them. As said, the draft is fluid and can & will change right up to the pick before us so no one has a choice but to wait and see what happens. I know this is just a thread to guess and waste time....fun and all that but in the end, pointless.

We ruined a talented kid at QB by NOT fixing his protection or giving him any semblance of a running game, if we trade up for a QB he'll be out of football by the time his initial contract is up because of the OL. I think we have to fix both lines, unless Murray is there at 13. I also like the idea of a trade down, we need picks and young players to rebuild.

So many possible situations...

With the Tanne trade it seems as though they are thinking about next year unless a next year 4th was the only offer on the table.

We already have two 4s. You've started it. Now finish it and trade back.

If we are banking on next year, it's the only rational move IMO.

Get the picks. Assure you can move up next year if need be. Make it as close to a certainty as you can get in life.

But what if Haskins is there...
What if Murray miraculously falls within reach...
What if Oliver looks like a can't miss (or any other player)...
What if we can't get a decent offer for a trade down...

What if. What if. What if.

So many possible situations...

I'm expecting the Dolphins to trade down, in an attempt to gain more picks in both the 2019 and 2020 drafts. If the rumors are correct, about Ross wanting to trade down last year and New Orleans having offered picks to trade up with Miami; it's certainly not out of the question, Miami is open for business in 2019!!! Now that the plan has begun to take shape adding more draft capital over the next 2 seasons makes a hell of a lot of sense. What's making this even more likely is the strength of the 2019 draft matches up very well with Miami's 2 greats needs. Adding more to 2020, allows Miami the potential maneuverability to trade up, if they somehow win more games than expected and finish out of the top 10 picks.

I highly doubt with so many holes that we trade up. If anything, I can see us trading down. Tannenbaum isn't in charge anymore.

I think this draft is about building a base. The QB class is better and fits our offense (Patriots style) better next year. So if we're going to have a rookie QB in 2020, let's rebuild that OL today. Fortunately, there are a lot of solid OL prospects that will be available in the middle and late rounds. So, while we don't need to draft OL early, expect us to draft two OL at some point and probably bring in some good OL UDFA's. At a very minimum we need two new starting guards.

The DL is being completely deconstructed and rebuilt from scratch. The ends will require high picks, so don't be surprised if we use our 1st on a DE, and don't be surprised if we pick two DL early. Grier and the front office have been honest with us, because the need is obvious and nobody would have been fooled by lying or subterfuge. Rebuilding both lines NEEDS to be done, so there's no point in hiding the fact that we're going to do it.

Since we have our LT, I see it unlikely we trade up. It seems more likely we trade down (for more picks within the 2019 draft) or out (for more picks in the 2020 draft).
Agree right here. As far as O-line.....I'd not be shock if we draft a guard, a Center and a RT too. My ideal is that we draft at least two of those positions with out first 4 picks. DE is huge imo and even DT is in play.
We should go QB in 2020 but I'm ok with drafting one this year in the mid rounds depending on who's there.

I've always been of fan is the KISS principal -- so for now into the foreseeable future

I believe the simple premise Grier will be guided by is

VALUE!

He's going to look to leverage value at every pick and that might mean forsaking a '19 slot
for superior value in '20. It would certainly also be consistent with trading down -- especially if you can
nibble your way down and collect multiple nuggets.

Beyond that -- I'm betting on 4+LOS picks resulting in 3-4 new LOS starters.

The focus will be DL/OL/DB

But I think we'll pull the trigger first and foremost based on

VALUE!

The landscape of the NFL has changed. Having cap space and draft capital is where the teams seem to be moving. Having the extra picks gives teams flexibility not just in the current draft, but in the following years draft, if they choose to do so. So trading up or down becomes a weapon in a teams attempt to acquire it's guy or guys they covert. Having the cap space allows a team to pounce on a player like Stephon Gilmore to fill a void and potentially allow a team to take the next step. I'm all in as a fan. I got me some whiskey and cigars taking this all in!!!

We’re much more likely to trade down, especially if it lands us a first rounder next year (not likely at 13, but not that far out of the realm of possibilities either). More picks this year and more picks to use for fodder next year if we’re really shooting for our franchise QB in 2020. That’s the direction we go if we trade out of 13.

I wanna see the dolphins trade down if possible.

I would rather trade down than up too. Everytime I hear of trading up I think of RG3. There is no guarantee and trading up can mortgage your future.

Only if they have a can’t-miss player really available. If not trade down and get more picks. Trade down twice if needed.

Higher? HIGHER?????? …. now imagine I just said that in the voice of former Indianapolis Colts Coach Jim Mora in his "Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?????" rant.

No, trade down for more picks, maybe. Trade out for picks next year, maybe. But we don't have a QB and we're not going to find one to run our offense well in this draft, so I say …. NO.
I remember Mora's rant. I always felt bad for him. The policy should be to let guys cool off from the emotions of the moment before facing film crews.
Regarding trading up-Lord in heaven NO!
Regarding trading down. Yes. We have multiple holes. There will be people in the 20s who can play OL, DL, LB, CB.

Back
Top Bottom