Do We Deal... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do We Deal...

We ruined a talented kid at QB by NOT fixing his protection or giving him any semblance of a running game, if we trade up for a QB he'll be out of football by the time his initial contract is up because of the OL. I think we have to fix both lines, unless Murray is there at 13. I also like the idea of a trade down, we need picks and young players to rebuild.

Oh please.....stop trying to play it that Tannehill was seen as some top level or "may be elite QB" who was drafted by us and ruined. He was an overdrafted QB who had played WR (because he couldn't beat out 2 "just guys" who beat him out and never amounted to anything in the pros) and started only 1.5 years in college. Truth hurts but that's the way it was and we made a mistake in taking him and compounding it by sticking with him for 7 years (and when it was clearly obvious to many fans and guys here that he wasn't the guy and didn't have "it")

I don't bear him any ill will and wish him well...he seems like a good, decent guy and was as tough as nails (quite possibly the toughest guy on the Dolphins) but he was paid handsomely for years and didn't get it done and his time here will always be remembered as mediocre.

Higher? HIGHER?????? …. now imagine I just said that in the voice of former Indianapolis Colts Coach Jim Mora in his "Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?????" rant.

No, trade down for more picks, maybe. Trade out for picks next year, maybe. But we don't have a QB and we're not going to find one to run our offense well in this draft, so I say …. NO.

That’s funny. I can hear his voice. His facial expressions really made that epic.

I agree with the second part too.

...for a higher pick selection in the draft?

I say no. You?
Trade down for picks next year. Load up for bear!
bear.jpg

I'm all for trading down to get more picks. We have plenty of holes to fill. I'd nit trade all the way out of the first round as was suggested in the herald. A first round pick gives you 5 years with that players before he can become a free agent while a 2nd round pick only gives you 4.

If we can move down and get an extra 2nd or 3rd then we have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. I'd look into drafting two D-line guys and two O-line guys with those 4 picks. That'd be a great start to fixing both lines.
Seems like a good call. I agree.

Deep defensive draft. Would love to see them trade down to the end of the 1st and pick up a #1 in 2020.
I would love that as well, but at 13, I doubt you find many trade partners.

It's possible, but not likely IMO. Also, any team trading up probably has at least a playoff team already, therefore it would be a low rd1 pick we get in return.

Every time I think about moving down to gather pics I just envision losing out on Earl Thomas. That year when we dropped back is just burned into my memory. But it’s all on who we target. If we can get our guy and drop back a few -fine. If our guys in the top ten and we need to move up- just don’t use next years pics!

I would love that as well, but at 13, I doubt you find many trade partners.

It's possible, but not likely IMO. Also, any team trading up probably has at least a playoff team already, therefore it would be a low rd1 pick we get in return.
Happens much more than you'd think. Just last year, the saints moved up to 14, giving up #27, their 2019 first, and giving up a 2018 fifth for good measure.

2017: bills trade #10 to KC for #27, a 3rd, and a 2018 first.
Browns traded #12 to Houston for #25 and a 2018 first

2016: 49ers picked up a 2017 first trading back with KC.

A (edit) 2020 first can be made available if you're willing to move back far enough.

Last edited:
Happens much more than you'd think. Just last year, the saints moved up to 14, giving up #27, their 2019 first, and giving up a 2018 fifth for good measure.

2017: bills trade #10 to KC for #27, a 3rd, and a 2018 first.
Browns traded #12 to Houston for #25 and a 2018 first
2016: 49er picked up a 2017 first trading back with KC.

A 2019 first can be made available if you're willing to move back far enough.
Good examples. Excellent research.

I think the answer is it depends. Would be nice to trade down and accumulate picks and start building the trenches on both sides of the ball.

But if the team likes/loves one of the quarterbacks and they drop close enough, you've got to make the move up. Personally, I really like Haskins and if for some reason he drops beyond the NY Giants, I would deal up.
If we come put of this with 2-DL, 2-OL and CB I’m happy

I'm hoping Miami can come out of the 2019 draft with at least an another 2nd and perhaps other additional mid round picks. But Ideally, I'd love to see an additional 1st in 2020. Depending on the deals being presented to Grier and Co.?

I think the will trade down to get Lock. Lock is not going as high as fans think. If they can trade down into the 20s no team needs a QB so Lock might still be there. Get an extra 2nd rounder and thats a smart strategy.

We ruined a talented kid at QB by NOT fixing his protection or giving him any semblance of a running game, if we trade up for a QB he'll be out of football by the time his initial contract is up because of the OL. I think we have to fix both lines, unless Murray is there at 13. I also like the idea of a trade down, we need picks and young players to rebuild.
Don't assume that if we do draft a QB and the line is really bad that we have to start him right away.

Oh please.....stop trying to play it that Tannehill was seen as some top level or "may be elite QB" who was drafted by us and ruined. He was an overdrafted QB who had played WR (because he couldn't beat out 2 "just guys" who beat him out and never amounted to anything in the pros) and started only 1.5 years in college. Truth hurts but that's the way it was and we made a mistake in taking him and compounding it by sticking with him for 7 years (and when it was clearly obvious to many fans and guys here that he wasn't the guy and didn't have "it")

I don't bear him any ill will and wish him well...he seems like a good, decent guy and was as tough as nails (quite possibly the toughest guy on the Dolphins) but he was paid handsomely for years and didn't get it done and his time here will always be remembered as mediocre.

Sadly, in the long run I'll look back and have more fond memories of Jay Fiedler's time as our QB than Tannehill's.

That says all for me.

Back
Top Bottom