Do You Guys Care?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Guys Care??

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
Being a former admin of this site, I have watched it grow from a small time fan site, to the major fan base force that it is.

However, of the over 4000 members, do you know how many of you have ponied up the dough to become a premium member?

Want to know the sick part? at least 4 of those are the admins of this site, and one is a freaking Bills fan. A BILLS FAN!!

I think that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. It takes 24 premium members at $84 a year to keep this website on the internet.

I told AJ yesterday that he should just charge every single one of you. Hell at .99 cents per member, per year, he would be flowing in cash!

But of course he said no. So he is going to auction off some of his Dolphins gear to help pay the expenses. Nice huh?

17 more to go, and the Dolphins faithful are proving yet again to need a swift kick in the butt to get it rolling

I am ashamed of those of you who can honestly afford it, because I know of the over 4000 at least 17 of you CAN!

If this post sounds angry, well it is. You use this place every single day, so have some respect, and pony up.

end rant

Gram

Uhh, I'd pay $.99 to become a premium member...but $84? You mean the same amount that I can get new air force one's for? The same amount that I can a swingman NBA jersey for, and have enough $$$ left to go out to the movies? The same amount that I can get Madden 2005 for and have $34 left over(save the tax)?

Can I afford it? Sure, but that doesn't mean that personal things don't mean more.

Question for you: If it bothers so much, why don't you donate $100-500 a year?

(no offense to the site of course, which is great...but this thread deserves this kind of post)

ChambersOwnz84 said:
Uhh, I'd pay $.99 to become a premium member...but $84? You mean the same amount that I can get new air force one's for? The same amount that I can a swingman NBA jersey for, and have enough $$$ left to go out to the movies? The same amount that I can get Madden 2005 for and have $34 left over(save the tax)?

Can I afford it? Sure, but that doesn't mean that personal things don't mean more.

Question for you: If it bothers so much, why don't you donate $100-500 a year?

(no offense to the site of course, which is great...but this thread deserves this kind of post)

Hate to say it, but I'd have to agree with this post. I'd love to help out this site, but I couldn't afford it. There are more important things in life then a Miami Dolphins forum.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the Phins just as much as the next fan. I enjoy this site, and the information I get, and the fun, in depth conversation from fellow fans around the world. But as much as I enjoy this site, and would love to help out, that price is a little too steep.

I would suggest lowering it, to maybe say $25 dollars a year? I mean come on, you said yourself you only have 7 Premium members. If you significantly lowered the price to support this site, I'm sure you would get many more fans willing to donate.

I'm sure you would get at least 50 fans of 4000, willing to give up 25 dollars annually to help the site. And probably even more than that. So lets do the math.

7premium members x $84.00 = $588.00
50 premium members x $25.00 = $1250.00

That's more than doubling what you are receiving now. It makes sense guys.

Just some food for thought. I'd love to help out, but I really can't afford it at the moment.

I like this idea alot. Lower the cost and recieve more donations...is there any reason why it wouldn't work? As soon as I can afford it, I would most definetly give 25 buckaroos.

If I wanted to pay I would pay the Miami Herald or one of the other NFL Services. Why should I pay for that which I can get for free online in the Newspapers?

Traditionally Messageboards have always been free. That being said no could asked for more than that. As far as I am concerned you took it upon yourselves when you jumped into the deal. You knew that it would cost money when you started.

But to belley ache about it now when you knew beforehand shows lack of foresight on your part. Now that being said I would pay a buck if everyone else did no problem with that. A buck a year if 4000 did, not big deal. But 84? No way.

I hate ESPN And those pay sites because they give crappy news and charge for that which can be gotten for free. So make it a buck for everyone and you have a deal. You wanna flame or ban me for this, Go ahead. It's your choice but I guarantee you there are alot who feel just like me.

Hey I can understand your concern, but plan it out better or suffer the results of your poor planning. That's life...

I agree, lower the cost and I bet you would get a lot more people couching up the cash. $84.00 is steep, so how about lowering it and let the cash flow in.

I am not really going to add any thoughts that have already not been said. I just like to voice that I agree. $84 is just to steep for a message board.

2 kids, mortgage, car insurance, 2 freakin dogs, one mother-in-law and direct - tv(sunday ticket), my wife would have my soul if i kicked in cash like that - sorry boys.
P.S. - dolfan87 , you ever hear the saying - you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar, ...just something to think about.

A couple of thoughts here:

1) I've paid for other sites online, and I generally find that someone here scoops those sites or posts the same information in roughly the same time period. At the same time, there is a better community here, the site is well moderated, and the end result is I'm on here many times a day and usually ignore other sites unless I want to check on 'source' articles elsewhere. The discussion here is much better than other message board I've been to, thanks (I believe) to the work of AJ and the mods. So, FOR ME the site is well worth supporting.

Now, the great part is, you don't have to agree. If you think that this site is worth supporting at the $10 level, the $25 dollar level popularized above, $50 or $5000 -- you can donate that amount to the site!

Donate to FinHeaven & Co:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busin...Donations&cn=Username&tax=0&currency_code=USD

I guess what we're saying is that some of us find this site valuable and do what we can to support it. If you think you have $25 dollars to give to the cause and that's a comfortable number for you, then click the above link and send it along. This is a fabulous web site and I've made some great friends here -- if you agree and you have some $$ to spare, help AJ out before he has to sell off his dolphins gear to keep it running -- whatever the amount is.

CpuFan said:
If I wanted to pay I would pay the Miami Herald or one of the other NFL Services. Why should I pay for that which I can get for free online in the Newspapers?

It's not about what's free and what's not free. It's about supporting something important to you. I download music like the next guy. But if I like a band, I go out and buy their CD to support them. It's just the principle of it. Doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else. Just something I like to do. As for this board, I give hundreds of dollars and many hours of my time. Last year I lost my job. But I donated as much as I could (after all, this site kept me sane. :rofl: ). Just something I like to support. :)

Traditionally Messageboards have always been free. That being said no could asked for more than that. As far as I am concerned you took it upon yourselves when you jumped into the deal. You knew that it would cost money when you started. But to belley ache about it now when you knew beforehand shows lack of foresight on your part.

Not true. This site cost next to nothing when Gram and A.J. started it. It was very, very small. Now it's not small anymore. And it ain't cheap. People complain when the site is slow. They complain when the site goes down. Well, keeping the site fast and stable costs a lot of money. Two years ago, the site nearly shut down. That's when we finally starting accepting Premium Members.

I hate ESPN And those pay sites because they give crappy news and charge for that which can be gotten for free. So make it a buck for everyone and you have a deal. You wanna flame or ban me for this, Go ahead. It's your choice but I guarantee you there are alot who feel just like me.

Question: Why do people automatically feel like we're going to ban them from the site, and then throw down that ultimatum?? Why get hostile like that?? We're not forcing anybody to pay for anything. Believe me, it KILLS us to have to ask for money. And the goal is to make the site pay for itself (without any member having to give a dime). And we've made great progress towards that. But we're not there yet. We're just a few young guys running a site. Most of whom are college students. So you can understand what the cash flow is like. :lol:

ESPN, the Herald, etc. has paid employees. They're in business to make a profit. We gladly do this for free and will never make a profit. That never has been and never will be our goal. We do not and will not profit from our membership or this site. Premium Members know this, as they are privy to our bottom line. We just want the site to remain on the net in an enjoyable state.

Hey I can understand your concern, but plan it out better or suffer the results of your poor planning. That's life...

Andrew was about 14 when he started this site. Can't knock them for not forseeing his little site becoming the biggest out there.

If you want to give $1, great. There's a donation button at the top of the screen (well, there was. :smackhead In the meantime, use xiidaen's link). We appreciate ANYTHING we receive. And we'll put an award for donating (a star) under your screenname. So it will be seen and everyone will know you donated.

Again, the site will always remain free to all. And we're working towards creating a self-sustaining entity. Right now, we just need a little help.

Thank you to all who have donated and to all who visit this great site. We appreciate you all. :)

xiidaen said:
A couple of thoughts here:

1) I've paid for other sites online, and I generally find that someone here scoops those sites or posts the same information in roughly the same time period. At the same time, there is a better community here, the site is well moderated, and the end result is I'm on here many times a day and usually ignore other sites unless I want to check on 'source' articles elsewhere. The discussion here is much better than other message board I've been to, thanks (I believe) to the work of AJ and the mods. So, FOR ME the site is well worth supporting.

Now, the great part is, you don't have to agree. If you think that this site is worth supporting at the $10 level, the $25 dollar level popularized above, $50 or $5000 -- you can donate that amount to the site!

Donate to FinHeaven & Co:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busin...Donations&cn=Username&tax=0&currency_code=USD

I guess what we're saying is that some of us find this site valuable and do what we can to support it. If you think you have $25 dollars to give to the cause and that's a comfortable number for you, then click the above link and send it along. This is a fabulous web site and I've made some great friends here -- if you agree and you have some $$ to spare, help AJ out before he has to sell off his dolphins gear to keep it running -- whatever the amount is.

I agree. For those saying that premium membership is too steep well why not donate???
I can't afford the premium membership either. But giving as much as you possibly can helps out a lot.
I got kids, a mortgage, car/insurance payments, bills out the arse. So yeah I know its hard but just think how bad it would be if you came to finheaven one morning to see a blank web page saying that it was down for good.
That would suck. :shakeno:

ChambersOwnz84 said:
Uhh, I'd pay $.99 to become a premium member...but $84?

Man, I thought we were worth more than that. :cry: ;)

Hey, your AFO's will be replaced soon. And your swingman jerseys will up in the closet soon. But FinHeaven will be here for good. And I bet you get more use out of us than them. :D

Don't ask about my shoes. :lol:

We all have bills to pay and other things to do in life that require funds. I don't feel the need to pay to get information, so if it eventually happens that we all have to pay to gain access to this site then I guess I'm out. I'm supporting the Dolphins by paying about 400.00 for my trip down there on September 12 to see the opener, if that isn't supporting this franchise, then nothing is. I love this site b/c it's fun, free, and entertaining. I would hate to have to pay

Again, nobody has to pay for anything. This site will always be free. We're just asking for help from anyone who feels they can help us out right now.

You guys do a great job on this site, and some of you obviously put a lot of time into updating it. But the fact is this is a site built around the message board. As espn found out when it tried to charge for its message board service, you need to provide something unique in order to draw users to pay. A message board is a nice thing, and this site certainly has one of the better phins boards, but you will not get people to pay simply for the privilege of being able to post on your board. But gj on the site...

Back
Top Bottom