Do You Remember When? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Remember When?

Thank you Stoobz.

We know it … but to watch his vision is still jarringly impressive. He literally sees the entire field simultaneously and knows exactly when every one of his guys gets even a sliver of separation. Then he is absolutely the fastest of all time at getting that information processed, and the ball out of his hand. No wind-up, just instant launch with the flick of his wrist for a frozen rope with pinpoint accuracy, even in horrible winds. Simply beautiful to watch.

Then at the same time he has great peripheral vision so he elegantly evades the rush with trash all around him in the pocket, buying just enough time to get the ball away. Best vision ever. Quickest release ever. Fantastic accuracy. Even better courage to thread the needle into insanely tight windows. Phenomenal will to win inspiring the entire team to believe we can and would win. Just an unbelievable talent. It's easy to see why Bill Walsh thought he was the best QB ever.

Thank you Stoobz.

We know it … but to watch his vision is still jarringly impressive. He literally sees the entire field simultaneously and knows exactly when every one of his guys gets even a sliver of separation. Then he is absolutely the fastest of all time at getting that information processed, and the ball out of his hand. No wind-up, just instant launch with the flick of his wrist for a frozen rope with pinpoint accuracy, even in horrible winds. Simply beautiful to watch.

Then at the same time he has great peripheral vision so he elegantly evades the rush with trash all around him in the pocket, buying just enough time to get the ball away. Best vision ever. Quickest release ever. Fantastic accuracy. Even better courage to thread the needle into insanely tight windows. Phenomenal will to win inspiring the entire team to believe we can and would win. Just an unbelievable talent. It's easy to see why Bill Walsh thought he was the best QB ever.

Most peeps don't realize what a great athlete Dan was. Not talkin' vertical or 40 time, but his overall athletic competency. Super fast twitch arm, unreal depth perception, agility, quicks... Of course the horrible Achilles injury basically crippled him -- and yet his talent was so great he could still perform at a level few could ever dare. In my view Marino, at his best, is so far ahead of the pack there's no real comparison. Beyond that -- it's a disgusting fraud that ANY QB, regardless of SBs, is ranked ahead of Dan.

I think the number one thing that comes to mind when looking back at Marino can be summed up in one word. Decisiveness.

He had little to no doubt where the ball was going as the play developed and the decision was made quickly.

I think the number one thing that comes to mind when looking back at Marino can be summed up in one word. Decisiveness.

He had little to no doubt where the ball was going as the play developed and the decision was made quickly.

Damn shame Shula couldn't get a running game going for 17 years while Marino was playing. That's inexcusable.

Damn shame Shula couldn't get a running game going for 17 years while Marino was playing. That's inexcusable.
It’s all about identity at the time. They fell in love with the arm and big plays and scoring which consequently made the OL into pass blockers. Running the ball was always secondary. Unfortunately come January and playoffs you need to be a tough and physical team and run the ball. Miami was not tough and physical as an identity.

Rarely in the history of the NFL have prolific passing only teams won it all.

More so than the running game, Miami’s defense overall in the Marino era was not championship caliber. This more than the running game was what needed to be shored up.

It’s all about identity at the time. They fell in love with the arm and big plays and scoring which consequently made the OL into pass blockers. Running the ball was always secondary. Unfortunately come January and playoffs you need to be a tough and physical team and run the ball. Miami was not tough and physical as an identity.

More so than the running game, Miami’s defense overall in the Marino era was not championship caliber. This more than the running game was what needed to be shored up.
but keep on mind that Shula used a first round pick on Lorenzo Hampton and then another first round pick on Sammie Smith. So he wanted to get a good RB but he just drafted the wrong ones. I agree that O-line was not good at run blocking tho.

but keep on mind that Shula used a first round pick on Lorenzo Hampton and then another first round pick on Sammie Smith. So he wanted to get a good RB but he just drafted the wrong ones. I agree that O-line was not good at run blocking tho.
The line was too accustomed to backpedaling. Smith and Hampton were doomed from the start. I still think if Miami needed defense or running game more I would always say defense.

Even if Miami had a running game they would still need to have the ball last to score and win too many times because the defense just wasn’t consistently stopping people.

He tried to get a running game going here multiple times, but he failed miserably.

Hampton had a future I thought. That MNF game he gashed the Jets he looked good. But I agree w the premise we conditioned our guys to pass block more than run block. Even in this video as far back as ‘85, the run plays largely go nowhere. But I also agree we needed a D that could get off of the field more than a better RB. The D was awful, slow and unathletic / didn’t make enough plays as a unit.

Even late in Dan’s career during the J.J. years I saw him in person from the 3rd row up here vs the Jets who had Neil O’Donnel at QB.

The difference in how those two processed and got the ball out was striking. Dan was so decisive and the ball always went to the open guy. O’Donnel was hesitant (led to some sacks) and even so, taking longer to get the ball out, at times didn’t see wide open guys doing jumping jacks calling for the ball. You don’t appreciate this stuff on TV the way you can in person. The differences in these two men’s abilities were magnified. Oh, and Dan had a huge game that day w over 300 and ripped the Jets leaving Parcels in a foul mood.

Marino probably still could make all of the throws today. I would not bet against it.
If there was any college QB where the majority of scouts were saying emphatically that their NFL comparison was Dan Marino, you give up your entire draft for him. Whatever it takes.

Back
Top Bottom