Do you think teams can trust each other on draft day trades? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you think teams can trust each other on draft day trades?

I don't know quite how to phrase this so bear with me.

In the 2020 NFL draft assume the Bengals draft either Tua or Burrows. Also assume Redskins, Lions, and Giants have no intention of picking a QB. That would leave either Tua or Burrows for us with the fifth pick.

You are overplaying team needs in comparison to player and positional value. If Joe Burrow somehow started to slip, then the Redskins, Lions and Giants suddenly need a quarterback.

Because of Miami's draft wealth, they will be a target for every team. Teams will want those picks. This can be accomplished by preying on any anxieties, or worries the front office manifested from false reports and smoke screens made by other teams to cause confusion or anxiety.

No team can outbid them in a trade war, so they will have to resort to another plan that will cause panic in the front office.

Also did anyone else read, per CBS Sports, Tua stated he is planing to throw all out at a seesion in April. If he does that....it is going to get very interesting.

I don't know quite how to phrase this so bear with me.

In the 2020 NFL draft assume the Bengals draft either Tua or Burrows. Also assume Redskins, Lions, and Giants have no intention of picking a QB. That would leave either Tua or Burrows for us with the fifth pick. Now it is quite possible another team might try to move up in the draft to grab a QB. Of course the Dolphins have more to offer.

So, I guess what I am asking is what are the chances a team would lie to us and say another teams wants to trade up and is offering (something insane for arguments sake)?

I could see that as smart poker. On the other hand, when truth comes to light, I could see that as greatly damaging that team's ability to execute trades in the future.

So, do you think any teams play those type of games?

Poker is a good analogy for what the GMsjob is like around draft time.

Its not really lying either. It’s just an alternate truth.

Always need to have to 1 vs. 31 mentality.

There will definitely be some funny business between the teams, but it will be self-regulated. So many deals are done to to relationships between teams, execs and GMS that they won't want to burn any bridges by shitting on each other over one deal.

There has to be some sort of record keeping on offers etc.

I would think there has to be some sort of paper trail. They keep one for other things like injuries, trades, and other transactions throughout the league etc. This particular scenario seems to falls under the 'integrity of the game category." If you have teams out there acting independently and on the "honor code"...Lol...Hell, Look at what the Patriots are willing to do even when rules are in place against it.

It makes sense that there is a league official or something in every draft room to make sure everyone plays nice and true.

Prior to the deals there is a lot of smokescreen - and teams vying with each other can also speak to each other to confirm

If a GM got a bad name for lacking integrity it would impact him for his whole career

If the Detroit GM said three teams are in The Dolphins can ask for names and follow up with those 3 teams too - it seems reasonable.

At this point it is all smokescreen outside of Mia who are looking at QBs it is no secret
There will definitely be some funny business between the teams, but it will be self-regulated. So many deals are done to to relationships between teams, execs and GMS that they won't want to burn any bridges by ****ting on each other over one deal.
Yes do something sketchy to your other brethren and word leaks out of your office - and well... it is a huuuuuuuge risk

I don't think teams 'shop' offers to try to get a better deal.

They may say they need at least this much or something to that effect but I don't know if teams are saying "NY is offering such and such, can you beat that?"

And if they are they are certainly not lying about offers because that would get around and no one would take their calls.

I don’t think blatant lies happen. If Detroit lies and says San Diego offered something they didn’t, that’s easily verifiable after the draft when Grier talks to the San Diego front office. This is a small community and you need to keep a working relationship with the other 31 teams. A blatant lie like that from Detroit would make the other 31 teams weary to do business with them, hindering their ability to maneuver in future drafts. And probably also to have agents even willing to have their clients consider the team as free agents.

Does anyone remember when Peyton Manning was a free agent and it took Dan Marino personally calling Peyton to arrange a free agent visit? And we heard after the fact that Peyton never had any intention is signing with Miami because of “who was brought into that room”? Reputation is probably the single most important currency in that world.

So while possible, I’d say a blatant lie like that is highly highly unlikely. Small exaggerations? Probably.

I can see a lot of different scenarios.

For instance 1; ring ring hello Detroit, Miami here. Would you consider our 5th and 56th for your 3rd (poor value for Detroit but they still get their guy and net a late 2nd). Hmmm, why Miami, who are you interested in? We are afraid the Giants might take Tua and we don't think you want him, could be a win-win. Okay, I see, we want the LOT Thomas and we know the Giants just extended their LOT. It's a deal as long as you promise you won't take Thomas. Now if the Miami takes Thomas under those conditions I can see they will pay dearly sooner or later.

For instance 2; ring ring Miami, Detroit here. We have reason to believe you are interested in Tua. No surprise others are too. We have dealt fairly in the past. Lets just say we would rather see you get Tua than some other team and we think the 3rd pick would guarantee you get him. Now in the end if it turns out nobody else ended up offering Detroit a trade, one could argue that it is possible someone would have eventually. If it came down to it later, Detroit could always say, Miami we really thought there was a possibility of someone trying to move up with the Giants.

The only time I could see a team really playing another is if their arch rival is offering them a trade they can't refuse, but one they fear will net them a player that puts them over the top. Then I can see; ring ring Miami, Detroit here. Grier, Vikings are offering us their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2020 and 2021. I know what they are up to and it scares me to death. We think you want the same prospect so please make us an offer or else I am going to have to take the Vikings offer (boss insists). Value wise I think I could convince the boss to go for 5th and 39th.

I don’t think blatant lies happen. If Detroit lies and says San Diego offered something they didn’t, that’s easily verifiable after the draft when Grier talks to the San Diego front office. This is a small community and you need to keep a working relationship with the other 31 teams. A blatant lie like that from Detroit would make the other 31 teams weary to do business with them, hindering their ability to maneuver in future drafts. And probably also to have agents even willing to have their clients consider the team as free agents.

Does anyone remember when Peyton Manning was a free agent and it took Dan Marino personally calling Peyton to arrange a free agent visit? And we heard after the fact that Peyton never had any intention is signing with Miami because of “who was brought into that room”? Reputation is probably the single most important currency in that world.

So while possible, I’d say a blatant lie like that is highly highly unlikely. Small exaggerations? Probably.
Wait...who was brought into that room??? I never heard that story!!

Peyton was afraid he might get the Dez Bryant treatment from Ireland and be asked if his mother Olivia, who by all accounts is a lovely woman of the highest character, was ever a crack head and/or prostitute. I don't blame Long Neck for taking a powder on that score.

What i'm curious about is can they blantanly lie about draft offers? For example the Lions want to pimp the Fins for everything they have and say Tampa offered us "THREE #1's" and the Dolphins beat the offer with "FOUR #1's"
Ofcourse, the offer was a lie on the Lions part just to take the Dolphins.

Does the league have a rules against teams blatanly lying like that?
I think the thing to bear in mind is a good liar doesn't lie all the time. Once everyone knows you're lying, no one will care what you say.

Lot of talk about the Chargers jumping ahead of us, but a team that concerns me is Carolina. David Tepper is aggressive and knows how to make big bets.

Detroit and the Giants may be happy to send their pick out of the NFC—which could play in Miami’s favor—but in the end the return will talk.

I’m sure the panthers are attempting every thing humanly possible to get to #1 for burrow

no chance in hell it happens but Rhule, joe Brady, burrow would be a hell of an off season

Back
Top Bottom