Do you trust Saban or not? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you trust Saban or not?

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
Well up to the draft, and every since, many of you on here are willing to "just trust Nick" because he knows football. This was commonly used when evaluating which RB he took.

Now in other threads I see the same posters all over him because he picked Brock Berlin as his developmental QB. Saying its his "biggest mistake" etc.

So what's it going to be fin fans? Do you trust Slick Nick or not?

fin-atic said:
Well up to the draft, and every since, many of you on here are willing to "just trust Nick" because he knows football. This was commonly used when evaluating which RB he took.

Now in other threads I see the same posters all over him because he picked Brock Berlin as his developmental QB. Saying its his "biggest mistake" etc.

Yes, I trust Saban. He hasnt given any of us a reason not to. I think we all know Berlin will not make the team. Bring him in for a look, he gets cut if he continues to suck. Simple.

Berlin will turn into a solid backup IMO. He is a leader, just needs coaching. He'll benefit from learning from Frerotte and a year or two on the practice squad.

Anyone who's losing confidence in Saban because of the UDFAs he's bringing in is certifiably nuts. 95% of these guys are practice fodder. You bring them in, get a look, and if they don't show anything, you cut them loose. Berlin is almost certainly one of those. Saban's draft was superb. To deride him for bringing in one UDFA is the epitome of penny-wise and pound-foolish.

BTW, I think that Lionel Turner and Kay Jay Harris were great signings.

itsnot like hes bringing in berlin to start, haha... hes an UDFA and he does have potential... we'll see if we can get it out of him, maybe in NFLE or something... the move does nothing to hurt us, how can it be a big mistake?

I'll trust Nicks judgement IMO Berlin has no chance of making the team but if he does then its because Saban thinks he's good enough and he knows far more than me

If Nick Saban had drafted Berlin in the 3rd round then I would question him. As it is, Berlin is nothing more than a QB to run the practice squad, so that the 2nd string D has somebody to play against. If Berlin surprises, then great...send him to Europe and work him into whatever role he is capable of. If not, then just cut him at the end of TC just like all the other fodder.

I think Berlin is a very talented guy. He was one of the brightest prospects coming out of high school and played well at UF. They were pissed when he transfered. He was up and down at UM, but you know, I am not sure it is all his fault. I think it is certainly partially his fault. But part of it was the loss of Rob Chudzinski as Offensive Coordinator. The whole Hurricane offense dropped several notches when that happened.

I trust in Nick. I personally think it was a huge mistake to to take Brown over Benson. But I am willing to give my full support to Slick Nick until, like Wanny, he proves otherwise.

fin-atic said:

I haven't been on the board for a long time but what I've noticed is the people that you are describing seem to just like to be negative. o decision is ever the correct one....How can Brock Berlin be the "biggest mistake"? He was an undrafted free agent. I've never heard of one of those guys being a bust.

These guys are never satisfied and are probly the same guys who had us trading down 3 or 4 times and picking up 6 picks in the first two rounds. The same guys who work out trade in Madden football and then post them on this site as if they are possible trade scenarios for the real Dolphins.

To answer your original post...Yes, I trust Saban. Why shouldn't we. He's the one with the football background & a history of sucess.

i for sure wouldn´t change my view on saban because he took a chance on a qb who probably will be cut anyways, even if so, so what the heck, he is a UDFA !!!, we did not waste any pick on him, its not like he got drafted in the 3rd round by us

I did.... until today when I read we signed Brock Berlin. Unless we have a vacant position for a hotdog vendor, I dont like that signing. :lol:

Berlin is a camp arm and nothing more!

Kay-Jay is a find! He can play!! Good buy Minor or Gordon!

I've trusted Saban since the first day he got here. After a great draft and UFA signings, I've never been more confident about the Fins. Just check the sig ;)

It's obvious to me that they are comfortable with the QB's we have in Feeley and Ferotte. I am as well, I have watched the Fins Patriots game a few times since the end of the season and Feeley showed much improvement. I am very happy with our draft and really like how Nick took players he was familiar with. He most definitely addressed needs. I would have really liked to have gotten Orten or Lefors or even Adrian in the fourth but with Surtain gone, a CB was a needed pick. As far as these undrafted guys just be happy we are still being active. Brock Berlin isn't a bad pickup it isn't like he is going to be an immediate player anyway. He is going to take time anyway as would any undrafted QB we pick up now. I am very excited about this weekend, I think Nick done a fine job.

fin-atic said:
I think Berlin is a very talented guy. He was one of the brightest prospects coming out of high school and played well at UF. They were pissed when he transfered. He was up and down at UM, but you know, I am not sure it is all his fault. I think it is certainly partially his fault. But part of it was the loss of Rob Chudzinski as Offensive Coordinator. The whole Hurricane offense dropped several notches when that happened.

I trust in Nick. I personally think it was a huge mistake to to take Brown over Benson. But I am willing to give my full support to Slick Nick until, like Wanny, he proves otherwise.

I trust him, if we were going to take a back that high I'm glad it was Brown, his receiving ability makes it more acceptable to me to draft a runner that high.

Of course second guessing will always take place, I have no idea and probably never will what tradedown offers we refused, but it seems to me we could have done a draft like this.................

Traded down(acquiring at least second rounder, maybe a third too) we then could have taken the following in the first four rounds:

Aaron Rodgers
Corey Webster
Matt Roth
Channing Crowder
Ciatrick Fason

Maybe even another player if we had received two extra picks in the tradedown.

Of course its hindsight, but having vision is part of what makes a GM great or not.

That being said I'm very happy with the first day of our draft, my only disapointment is that AJ Feeley is still all we have for the future at quarterback, and if he proves to be a mediocre player this year we have to start over developing somebody new in 2006, which sets the whole process back another year.

I would have liked to see McPherson, who we could have obtained in the fifth had we not agreed to switch picks with KC.

I still give this draft an "A" though.

Back
Top Bottom