Do You Want To Go To Canton, Ohio With Dolphins Legend Larry Csonka? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do You Want To Go To Canton, Ohio With Dolphins Legend Larry Csonka?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usatsi_11993783.jpg

This is a pretty unique opportunity for Miami Dolphins fans — a chance to rub elbows with one of the franchise’s most beloved legends, fullback Larry Csonka. Csonka, of course, was one of the cornerstone pieces of the early 1970s dynasty that netted the Dolphins their only two world championships. The highlight reels of old will show you endless victims of Csonka’s devastating power in the backfield — bulldozing his way to the end zone and trampling any unfortunate defender left one on one in his path.

Now, Dolphins fans are being presented with a chance to experience the day of a lifetime. Csonka is hosting a trip to Canton, Ohio to experience some of the fresh features at the Pro Football Hall of Fame courtesy of DreamTrips.com.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2...anton-ohio-with-dolphins-legend-larry-csonka/

I went with Dreamtrips to meet Csonka last year in Miami for the Jets game. It was priceless listening to him tell stories about the longest game and Dick Butkus. I got to sit up with him in the suite talking football and what he actually thought of Adam Gase.

I don't want to go to Ohio but I wouldn't be opposed to having lunch with him at a more desirable location.

I firmly believe that the hardships of a road trip bring out a real bonding experience for those involved. If I’m not driving to Canton with Czonk on shotgun, then I don’t want it.

Ok Maybe if I won I would still do it but I’d rather road trip with the big man

I’d rather Kuetch got in.

Keuchenberg was a borderline Hall of Game guy who didn't get in. It used to bother me but when I apply real world perspective toward how he was viewed in relation to other Dolphins of that time frame, and other offensive linemen who were his peers, it might be the correct decision. Larry Little and Jim Langer were considered superior to Keuchenberg and started getting national and leaguewide recognition earlier. Keuchenberg got a lot of press after that Super Bowl against the Vikings and Alan Page. Only then did he start to receive Pro Bowl nods the following season.

Basically I'm not bothered when late blooming types are held on a lower pedestal than those who have been elite all their lives. More often than not, it is the correct choice. Keuchenberg certainly wasn't the equal of many offensive linemen from that era who starred very quickly...'70s guys like Art Shell or Gene Upshaw or John Hannah, or early '80s types like Anthony Munoz or Mike Munchak or Bruce Matthews.

He couldn't get in above any of those guys. It was always going to be a late supplemental add. That's a much tougher route because now the committee has seen newcomer linemen who are equal or superior to Keuchenberg, players like Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace. You have to include them eventually. If you backfit to make room for Keuchenberg types then you are swelling the offensive line entrants far above where it's always been, or logically fits.

Besides, Keuchenberg wasn't always the greatest off the field. Maybe that isn't best to mention so soon after his death, but I remember the personalities of all of those guys, at least how they came across while interviewed. Let's just say he wouldn't be in Csonka territory. Garo Jr. provided further evidence a couple of months ago via private message. He said that Keuchenberg was by far the worst offender in terms of ridiculing his dad to the media in hurtful fashion, regarding that Super Bowl blunder. Garo Jr. told me that Keuchenberg would greet Garo and his family warmly in private and say all the right things, but it was completely different for public consumption. Garo Jr. said Keuchenberg would "twist the dagger" to the media and that his father was always very hurt by it.

Keuchenberg was a borderline Hall of Game guy who didn't get in. It used to bother me but when I apply real world perspective toward how he was viewed in relation to other Dolphins of that time frame, and other offensive linemen who were his peers, it might be the correct decision. Larry Little and Jim Langer were considered superior to Keuchenberg and started getting national and leaguewide recognition earlier. Keuchenberg got a lot of press after that Super Bowl against the Vikings and Alan Page. Only then did he start to receive Pro Bowl nods the following season.

Basically I'm not bothered when late blooming types are held on a lower pedestal than those who have been elite all their lives. More often than not, it is the correct choice. Keuchenberg certainly wasn't the equal of many offensive linemen from that era who starred very quickly...'70s guys like Art Shell or Gene Upshaw or John Hannah, or early '80s types like Anthony Munoz or Mike Munchak or Bruce Matthews.

He couldn't get in above any of those guys. It was always going to be a late supplemental add. That's a much tougher route because now the committee has seen newcomer linemen who are equal or superior to Keuchenberg, players like Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace. You have to include them eventually. If you backfit to make room for Keuchenberg types then you are swelling the offensive line entrants far above where it's always been, or logically fits.

Besides, Keuchenberg wasn't always the greatest off the field. Maybe that isn't best to mention so soon after his death, but I remember the personalities of all of those guys, at least how they came across while interviewed. Let's just say he wouldn't be in Csonka territory. Garo Jr. provided further evidence a couple of months ago via private message. He said that Keuchenberg was by far the worst offender in terms of ridiculing his dad to the media in hurtful fashion, regarding that Super Bowl blunder. Garo Jr. told me that Keuchenberg would greet Garo and his family warmly in private and say all the right things, but it was completely different for public consumption. Garo Jr. said Keuchenberg would "twist the dagger" to the media and that his father was always very hurt by it.

I think Shula's opinion is the most relevant in this discussion:

His former coach, Don Shula, also released a statement calling for Keuchenberg to be honored in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“I’ve coached a lot of Hall of Fame players, including a number of offensive linemen, and Kooch was as good as any of them,” Shula’s statement reads. “I hope one day he gets that ultimate recognition by being enshrined in Canton – it’s an honor long overdue and one he certainly deserves.”

Seems my earlier rant had the Streisand effect...I wonder if I can hone this power to my advantage in the future.

Aherm! I for one can't stand the idea of topless cheerleaders in Gstrings. If I have to be subjected to endless female nudity, I'm gonna barf.

Back
Top Bottom